Shelly's a digger!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He always has been... "digs" to make "nests" before he lays down, "buries" his food (and everyone else's
) after dinner... he's always very good about covering his business in the litter box.... and he'll "dig" to china for ages in the rounded bathroom sink! but this is a new one.

Flowerbelle likes drinking water out of a bottle top. I got tired of her sticking her paw in my face before I'm awake for her "water treat" - I especially got tired of pouring too much, asleep in the dark, and pouring water all over my hand and having to go back to sleep on wet sheets/blankets.
So I took a small dish, poured water in it, and fixed it in place inbetween the cat bed and the mattress on the box we have next to the bed. Of course ALL the cats drink from it now.

It is not in any way covered by anything. But before drinking from it, Shelly "digs up" the cat bed edge that is touching it!
Is he "un-burying" the water????????????????? What is he doing?
He's such a kook!

Laurie

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so funny!
Genever is a digger too! She digs for ages in the litterbox, which i thought (and kinda still think) is abnormal which is what got me posting on this site in the first place.
So buries her wet food, saving the rest for later.. hehe. And yeah, she gets her own glass of water at night because I found she was drinking from my glass by the bed, and she does what seems to be unburying her water glass before drinking from it. Too funny! I can't imagine what she's do if I ever took her out on the beach!

Glad to hear there's another digger out there..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah - the water thing was weird! (Of course when he first "buried" his food we didn't know what the heck he was doing!
)

Laurie

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Their so funny!!.

Rosie's my digger, then after she's done what she has to do you can hear her scrape her paws down the wall before jumping out
Yeah, try scraping the walls of the litterbox for 10+ minutes before jumping out!!! (in the middle of the night of course (small apartment dictates we have the box in the bedroom))
The funny thing is that with her SoftPaws, after she's really going at it for a while, it's like she's so determined and she scrapes so hard, that the plastic against plastic starts squeaking! That's about the time when I sometimes grab the pillows and move to the sofa..

Until I read this thread, I just kind of thought Genever was pawing at the water glass to make the water move so she could see where the water line was, but then I thought, yeah, she does really paw at it, like digging and whatnot... so the unbury thing makes sense. Even though it really doesn't make sense!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats definitely stick their paws in water to make it move (all of our kitties just stick their noses in it first!) because you're right - it sure seems like they can't see the water line. But this digging isn't really anywhere near the water - he is definitely intentionally pawing up the cat bed! It's just soooooo funny!