litter box advice

stubbys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am new to indoor cats. I clean the litter boxes every day, but can anyone advise on how to prevent all the litter debris that seems to be kicked or carried out of the box? Is there a specific kind of box that prevents this? Thanks

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To eliminate it completely you have two options, get rid of the cat or teach them to go potty outside (which we don't recommend either here).

What type and brand of litter are you using? What type of box do you have?

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stubbys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I had a basement. I live in a small condo but the cats do have their own room, and I leave a litter box there and one on the screened in porch. My litter box is a big deep box and the litter is "Scoop Away", I get a huge 40lb container for $12.00 at Costco and it clumps really well. I wonder why no one has invented a box that works better. I mean we have IPhones and Ipods men on the moon, yet I have kitty litter on my floor. I guess Bill Gates and Steve Jobs do not have cats

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The shaggy type bath rugs work very well for me. I take them outside and shake to get all the litter out. Easy to throw in the wash. You can find them in any color so they don't really look like a bath rug.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I laughed about the technology thing. Its true! They must be dog people.

I know the have a Booda Dome that has a long walk-in area that can help collect the litter as they leave. Thats they only thing I have seen so far.

If you find something let us know! It is the million dollar cat owners question!!

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a booda dome box but the kittens are afraid of the cover, so we left it off. I use an old towel to put underneath the box so I can pick it up and shake it outside along with sweeping every other day or every day. Now those cats rule mats look pretty good though - hopefully they are worth their weight in gold.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used a covered catbox and this mat at the front that Bean Bean steps on when he comes out.

It doesn't get it *all* but it certainly catches a good majority of the litter that is kicked and dragged out of the box. My cat enjoys digging to china in his box.

The good thing that I like about this mat is that it has little rubber things that poke up and help to brush the litter off your cats feet, and then it is trapped down a little ways into the mat itself.

It's very easy to shake it off outside once or twice a week, just like a carpet. And Voila, it's ready to use again.

I think they sell them at most pet stores for under 10$. I got mine at petsmart.

Edit - I forgot to mention that my cat also likes to use it as a scratching mat.
And he curls up and lays on it whenever I am in the bathroom too.

mamato3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i use a cardboard scratching box in front of my box works good only a little litter on the floor

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is Jack modelling one of the litterboxes that my 3 use.

Until i bought these boxes, there was litter flicked half way across the room. I've also got two of those large mats.

Theres still the few odd grains of litter on the stairs, but nothing to what it was

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

This is Jack modelling one of the litterboxes that my 3 use.

Until i bought these boxes, there was litter flicked half way across the room. I've also got two of those large mats.

Theres still the few odd grains of litter on the stairs, but nothing to what it was
heh...now THAT's a BOX!!
That's one way of doing it. I like the shaggy rug idea myself. Cheap and easy to shake out. I have a covered box but get a few crumbs outside the front of the box too. I just keep a mini broom and dustpan nearby and sweep up daily.

yourlovingcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a "cat mat", which helps. One type of litter box that I have seen but never tried is a top entry box. From the reviews I have read, the people who have used this type of litter box say that a lot of the litter drops off when the cat climbs out, and the majority that is left is left on the top cover of the box.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I used regular scooping litter I had good results from the CleverCat top opening box, but your cats must be willing to use a hooded box (CleverCat Top Opening Litter Box)

I've also basically eliminated tracking since I switched to the Breeze litter system, though it is also hard sometimes to get your cats to use it. I still occassionaly see some of the little pellets out of the box but nothing like the gritty litter! (TidyCats Breeze System)

Good luck!