What would your dream be?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I listened to some people talking at work yesterday and they were talking about how bad the economy is, how things are so slow, how they've had to tighten their budgets, etc. One person even gave thier 4 year old dog to the humane society, saying he couldn't afford WASTING his money on food for it!
WHAT??? I had to jump in on the conversation then! Let's just say that I let this guy know that his dog is better off without him!

More and more people on the news they are reporting are abandoning thier pets...........

I just can't explain my bewilderment on this.....i mean, these 4 kitties I have are my kids, (albiet fur kids) and I would no sooner leave them then I would human kids........

I just don't understand.......can someone help me????

I guess my dream would be to take all the homeless/neglected/abandoned dogs and cats and give them a wonderful FUREVER family to love them.......

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree! We can do it together!
I have been dreaming lately of opening a "best friends sanctuary" like the one in Utah for the east coast of USA.
No animal would be neglected or have a lack of home. Networking with like minded people who will treat them like I would and wouldn't get rid of them because its a waste of money to feed them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy if we could just win the lottery huh?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I think Bender was dumped off around our house this spring those people don't realize what they gave up!!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

I guess my dream would be to take all the homeless/neglected/abandoned dogs and cats and give them a wonderful FUREVER family to love them.......
oh susie,...that is my exactly dream....
all nights I ask to God in my prayers he gave me the money power to can make this reality.....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dream would to never again be forced to pick who dies because of overpopulation - to have money/space/time to treat the ones who need it (long term care, or costly vet cat types).

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
to have a save haven for all the cats around here. like the friendly orange/white male the educated morons/college students kicked out of the house because he started to spray. or the ones left behind when school is over and the kids go back to wherever they came from. (i live half mile from UCR, can you tell?)

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all of you.
I so wish that it were possible to give all these beautiful animals homes, and that people weren't such JERKS. I would eat nothing but ramen noodles and rice before I would give up my babies.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If only I didn't have to worry about money ever again, I would do all I could for all the animals in the world. Unfortunately since I haven't won the lottery all I can really do is adopt animals, donate money to the humane society, and become a vet to help them.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My dream would to never again be forced to pick who dies because of overpopulation - to have money/space/time to treat the ones who need it (long term care, or costly vet cat types).

My dream would be that humankind never forced people into the above situation. That humans viewed animals NOT as disposible belongings.... that humans respected all forms of life.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Boy if we could just win the lottery huh?
Yeah, I would most definitely open some sort of kitty haven. Problem is, there would even still be millions of homeless animals still after that.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so easy to condemn until you've actually faced having to consider re-homing your pets.

Like you I was appalled at the thought of someone "abandoning" their pets due to financial reasons. But think about it! Wouldn't the pet be better off with someone who is in a better financial situation to be able to afford the proper care of a pet, not only food (often low grade), litter, but also healthcare for the animal?

Why is it acceptable for someone dying with cancer to give up their pets in advance of their death in order to make sure that the pet has a loving home with someone who can afford them rather than to end up in a shelter or abandoned on the streets?

Like I said, I was appalled at the idea of ever having to face giving up my babies, but have to face it I did!

When I was off work for 4 1/2 years on disability, as the months and years went by, it got exceedingly harder for me to keep a roof over my head and food on my table and pay for my own medications. In the beginning I changed to a cheaper cat food, reduced litter box changes to twice a month from monthly, and could not afford any healthcare for them at all. It was only thanks to a complete stranger who read my plight about Chynna and her teeth and the fact that I was facing euthanizing her last year because I couldn't afford a dental for her, that she is still with me today. A complete stranger stepped up to the plate and paid my $700.00 vet bill and I'll be forever grateful to that person.

Did I have cable and internet? Yes I did. Some would say that I should have cancelled one or both. Easy to say unless you lived in my situation. I was a literal shut in for most of the time I was off work. Cable TV and the internet was my only source of entertainment and connection to the outside world because I couldn't afford to go anywhere or do anything because I didn't have the money or the health to get out. So for about 3 1/2 years I stayed home every day except for a once a month trip to the grocery store and 1 or 2 trips to the doctor. The transportation for that prior to me getting Handi Transit was $60.00 per month for 3 "outings."

Some might say I should have moved to a cheaper apartment. Again, easier said than done. Did you know that it costs major money to be able to move? Let's see....utility transfer fees; damage deposit, and first and last months rent. Not to mention the energy and time it takes to go out and find a new place, let alone pack, clean the old apartment, move and unpack at the other end. I neither had the financial resources to move, nor did I have the physical health to undertake such a feat.

There were times I didn't buy my own medications or cut back on the doses in order to buy cat food and litter for my cats. Was it smart to cut down on an antidepressant that you need in order to not fall into a deeper depression than I was due to being off work sick and having creditors harassing me 15 hours a day 6 days a week? No it wasn't, but I had to. And there were literally days, sometimes up to 2 weeks where I ate nothing but a bowl of rice or one Slim Fast Shake in an entire day, just so that I could afford to keep a roof over my head and food in my cats' stomachs.

Every single day I was faced with the thought of losing everything.

Things improved a wee little bit when I declared bankruptcy at the end of 2007, but not a great deal because I still had to pay out, though a little less, money that I had been giving to creditors, to the bankruptcy trustee. And I managed to get back to work at the end of last year.

If I was still off work right now I know that I would have had to rehome Chynna and Abby months ago because I would be living in a homeless shelter at this time.

So don't condemn unless you've been in a real situation where you have no other choice but to consider rehoming in the best interests of your pets.

You want to consider me a jerk for having thought about and seriously considered rehoming my cats in order to give them a better life than I felt they were having with me for so many months and years? Then go ahead.... I'm a jerk.

But I'm also a kind jerk because remember that kind stranger I told you about above who paid a whopping $700.00 for Chynna's dental and saved her life? This person didn't want to be repaid for their kindness. I tried to arrange to pay the person back, but they refused and instead insisted that I pay it forward. And I've done that and am still doing that because now I'm back at work and in a financial position where I can afford my pets and help a few strangers who are in similar situations to what I was in, be able to keep their pets with them.

Not everyone has been as lucky as I have been, and I do consider myself deeply blessed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It's so easy to condemn until you've actually faced having to consider re-homing your pets.

Like you I was appalled at the thought of someone "abandoning" their pets due to financial reasons. But think about it! Wouldn't the pet be better off with someone who is in a better financial situation to be able to afford the proper care of a pet, not only food (often low grade), litter, but also healthcare for the animal?

Why is it acceptable for someone dying with cancer to give up their pets in advance of their death in order to make sure that the pet has a loving home with someone who can afford them rather than to end up in a shelter or abandoned on the streets?

Like I said, I was appalled at the idea of ever having to face giving up my babies, but have to face it I did!

When I was off work for 4 1/2 years on disability, as the months and years went by, it got exceedingly harder for me to keep a roof over my head and food on my table and pay for my own medications. In the beginning I changed to a cheaper cat food, reduced litter box changes to twice a month from monthly, and could not afford any healthcare for them at all. It was only thanks to a complete stranger who read my plight about Chynna and her teeth and the fact that I was facing euthanizing her last year because I couldn't afford a dental for her, that she is still with me today. A complete stranger stepped up to the plate and paid my $700.00 vet bill and I'll be forever grateful to that person.

Did I have cable and internet? Yes I did. Some would say that I should have cancelled one or both. Easy to say unless you lived in my situation. I was a literal shut in for most of the time I was off work. Cable TV and the internet was my only source of entertainment and connection to the outside world because I couldn't afford to go anywhere or do anything because I didn't have the money or the health to get out. So for about 3 1/2 years I stayed home every day except for a once a month trip to the grocery store and 1 or 2 trips to the doctor. The transportation for that prior to me getting Handi Transit was $60.00 per month for 3 "outings."

Some might say I should have moved to a cheaper apartment. Again, easier said than done. Did you know that it costs major money to be able to move? Let's see....utility transfer fees; damage deposit, and first and last months rent. Not to mention the energy and time it takes to go out and find a new place, let alone pack, clean the old apartment, move and unpack at the other end. I neither had the financial resources to move, nor did I have the physical health to undertake such a feat.

There were times I didn't buy my own medications or cut back on the doses in order to buy cat food and litter for my cats. Was it smart to cut down on an antidepressant that you need in order to not fall into a deeper depression than I was due to being off work sick and having creditors harassing me 15 hours a day 6 days a week? No it wasn't, but I had to. And there were literally days, sometimes up to 2 weeks where I ate nothing but a bowl of rice or one Slim Fast Shake in an entire day, just so that I could afford to keep a roof over my head and food in my cats' stomachs.

Every single day I was faced with the thought of losing everything.

Things improved a wee little bit when I declared bankruptcy at the end of 2007, but not a great deal because I still had to pay out, though a little less, money that I had been giving to creditors, to the bankruptcy trustee. And I managed to get back to work at the end of last year.

If I was still off work right now I know that I would have had to rehome Chynna and Abby months ago because I would be living in a homeless shelter at this time.

So don't condemn unless you've been in a real situation where you have no other choice but to consider rehoming in the best interests of your pets.

You want to consider me a jerk for having thought about and seriously considered rehoming my cats in order to give them a better life than I felt they were having with me for so many months and years? Then go ahead.... I'm a jerk.

But I'm also a kind jerk because remember that kind stranger I told you about above who paid a whopping $700.00 for Chynna's dental and saved her life? This person didn't want to be repaid for their kindness. I tried to arrange to pay the person back, but they refused and instead insisted that I pay it forward. And I've done that and am still doing that because now I'm back at work and in a financial position where I can afford my pets and help a few strangers who are in similar situations to what I was in, be able to keep their pets with them.

Not everyone has been as lucky as I have been, and I do consider myself deeply blessed.
I am truly humbled by your words, and of course if every case there are exceptions.........I guess I'm referring to the people, my sister is one of them, that casually adopt animals and if it isn't all peaches and cream, they get rid of them. I know money gets tight in these times, but for me, when I sign on an animal, or furkid in my case, it's for life, through good and bad times, and I just don't understand when people don't do that as well.......... As for people in your case, that is a different story and I'm so sorry for what you went through and equally as happy that your back on your feet and feeling better.......

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am truly humbled by your words, and of course if every case there are exceptions.........I guess I'm referring to the people, my sister is one of them, that casually adopt animals and if it isn't all peaches and cream, they get rid of them
Yes, unfortunately there are people like that around, more than I care to even think about. I even know some myself! Some people get a notion in their heads that they want a kitten or puppy. However, when the animal grows up and isn't quite so "cute" having outgrown their "baby" cuteness, the animal soon becomes passe and disposable.

The same goes with many who take on an exotic pet. The pet becomes more work and less novelty. And don't forget those that get a pet for their kids so long as the kids promise to take care of it.

I tell parents that unless they really want that animal themselves and have plans to take on the care of that animal themselves, to not bother getting an animal because kids don't have the longest attention span. Caring for that animal will soon become a chore for the kids instead of something fun for them to do and unless the parent takes over, the animal will be neglected.

I know money gets tight in these times, but for me, when I sign on an animal, or furkid in my case, it's for life, through good and bad times, and I just don't understand when people don't do that as well..........
They are a life long responsibility to me too. I love my cats so much and couldn't imagine not having them with me. I felt like such a failure last year when Chynna was sick, in so much pain and literally starving because she couldn't eat because of a bad tooth or two. Other than her teeth she was still relatively healthy and had the potential to live some more years. I was so heart broken when I had to consider and finally book an appointment to have her euthanized.

As for people in your case, that is a different story and I'm so sorry for what you went through and equally as happy that your back on your feet and feeling better.......
Thank you
The important thing is that I was somehow able to get through it all and have become stronger because of it.

I know that Abby and Chynna helped me get through because of their unconditional love. Being broke, sick and stuck in my apartment almost 24/7 was awful, but I had their company and love. Also, I think part of the reason that I didn't just give up (and there were times I really wanted to) and continued to push as hard as I did to get back to work, was out of my obligation to them and my promise to them that I would take care of them for their whole lives. I try to always keep my promises. Because I faced losing them, their presence is all the more special to me!