I found a bald spot on tiggers neck tonight

skyeandtigger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think it is ring worm. I put a collar with a bell on him a little over a week ago and until he got used to it he would try to get it off. Is it possible he scratched himself? I will post pictures!!! As you can see it one there is a scabbed line like that of a scratch and i wiped it with diluted hydrogen peroxide and it made a pink tinge in his white fur at that spot but the hair loss is a small circle less than size of a pinkie nail. The spot is dry and white and after the peroxide it became soft and skin pink. Is it ringworm or a scratch? it runs perfect to wear his collar would normally lay. His collar is a break free collar and he has gotten it off several times by putting his paw between it and his neck.

I feel so bad for him lol he was neutered today and already I found a reason to pick at him!!! But he is a trooper he left me do what i had to do with only one swat of his paw lol!!!

sorry for the quality of the lighting it is 11pm here and my house is dark at this time of night!! If the pics arent good enough I will take more in the daylight tomorrow!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyeandtigger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my husband had me order a set of soft paws for Tigger today for 2 reasons. One if he scratched himself hubby wants to try and eliminate that and most importantly secondly he likes to play scratch my 9 month old son which hubby is not happy with at all!!! My sons body parts rubbing against the play pen seem to be a target for Tigger and my son gets all scratched up.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is possible he scratched himself. Especially since he was trying to get the collar off. If he gets any more around his body, it could be fleas. Mine gets little patches like that from scratching at the fleas, if no fleas and it gets worse then maybe the Vet could look at it. Did you notice it there before you went to the Vet to have him neutered?

skyeandtigger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he doesn't have fleas i did a thorough check through of every pet in the house that same night (i thought maybe the same).It hasn't spread at all and he doesn't mess with it at all. I didn't notice it before he went but it was very dried up and definitely not fresh that night. I only noticed it because he was being extra lovable after he came home and i took advantage to scratch every little inch of his body that i could lol. He usually isn't so loving he always wants to play and petting becomes him scratching my hand off so to see him lay there and just be loved was great!

He is still very loving I told my hubby I think he is being nice so I don't take him anywhere anymore lol!!!! He even sleeps with me at night which he didn't before he was neutered Tuesday. Also has not calmed down at all you would think he had nothing done to him. He is def resilient!!! He has not showed a single sign of any pain at all since being home! I think he has a few screws loose upstairs lol! I love him even more now that he allows me to love him with out risk of losing my skin lol!!!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever tried trimming his claws? The vet usually does it when they get examined. Soft paws are a good idea. Also be careful with him wearing a collar. If he is putting up that much of a fight where he is pulling it off, he could hurt himself.......

skyeandtigger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he does get his nails trimmed when he allows me to but it doesn't keep the poor baby from getting scratches which gets me in trouble with my husband. He doesn't fuss over the collar any more he must have gotten used to it now it's been since Sunday that he has had it on and he doesn't mess with it!!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep your eye on that. It might be ringworm - it looks a little like it. Although it usually that starts on ears or feet, I'd just be careful with it.

My guess is the collar irritated him and he scratched it. but if it gets infected, you'll need some antibiotics. If its ringworm, you'll need antifungals.

The soft claws will help keep him from irritating it further.

skyeandtigger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
from what I gather looking online wouldn't ringworm have to come from somewhere? I have had him since he was 8 weeks old and he is now around 22 weeks or so. He is strictly indoors as is my other cat. The woman I got him from kept him strictly indoors as well he was born to her inside cat. He doesn't bother with it at all,It is clean not scabbie looking just a bald spot with what looks like a cat scratch going through it and when I clean it with the peroxide the white fur he has there turned pink from dried blood on the scratch looking spot. I will attempt to get a good pic in the morning.

skyeandtigger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I definitely don't believe it was ringworm. When i checked it this morning to clean it the scratch part is now gone he only has a little pink bald spot there is no dried blood no scabbing at all it never spread

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skyeandtigger

I definitely don't believe it was ringworm. When i checked it this morning to clean it the scratch part is now gone he only has a little pink bald spot there is no dried blood no scabbing at all it never spread
Please keep keeping an eye on it.

RW doesn't always bleed (it bleeds if the cat is scratching it), it doesn't always spread (it can be just one spot), and scabbing is not usually present in mild cases.

RW spores can lay dormant for 18mos. They can come in on your clothes, with the wind, etc. The fortunate thing with RW, is that cats that are otherwise healthy, "usually" don't catch it.....but since he was just neutered, his immune system could be low.

I'm not saying that RW is for sure what it is..... But that second pic looks like it.

Just keep an eye on it, k.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please keep keeping an eye on it.

RW doesn't always bleed (it bleeds if the cat is scratching it), it doesn't always spread (it can be just one spot), and scabbing is not usually present in mild cases.

RW spores can lay dormant for 18mos. They can come in on your clothes, with the wind, etc. The fortunate thing with RW, is that cats that are otherwise healthy, "usually" don't catch it.....but since he was just neutered, his immune system could be low.

I'm not saying that RW is for sure what it is..... But that second pic looks like it.

Ringworm also has an incubation period of up to 14 days. Like Snake Lady said, just keep an eye on it. I have three foster kittens who are just getting over it. Cats mostly have to outgrow it. Once their immune systems are fully functioning, they are usually fine.