We had to part with our snakes....

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband is very into reptiles, at one poins and time he had hundreds of snakes, lizards, etc. For months he has been debating on what to do with our 4 snakes due to homeowners insurance issues. What happened is that he called a couple other insurance companies around to find out their rates, and they asked us what kind of pets we had. Husband said cats, a dog (had to specify what kind and all), and he "mentioned" he would like to maybe get a snake in the future. Their reaction was all the same....either they will no longer offer us insurance once we got the snakes, or the price would jack up to a ridiculous amount.
Yes, we could just ommit the truth and keep our snakes......but what if something happened to the house and they found out?
So a good friend of his adopted our snakes. He is heartbroken....
And the funny thing is that apparently we can have other "exotics" like lizzards, frogs.....just not snakes. I wonder if hybrid cats will be next. What a shame....

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sucks, I'm sorry. This is interesting to me though - we have snakes as well, and we've never discussed it with our insurance company. We've had that policy long before we got snakes though - I wonder what they'd have to say about it?

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just wrong, stupid insurance companies. Don't you just love how these big corporations can tell you what you can or can not own? I am almost certain, that the big AR groups are behind this. Another way to stop people from owning exotics and now, so called dangerous breeds of dogs. My insurance company has no clue as to what cats I own (my wild cats) and I have no plans on telling them. However, they never asked what type of animals I own or plan to own. There is absolutely no reason for them to increase your rates so much. I can understand if they wanted to know how you were going to house the snakes (proper responsible caging), but rates should not increase just because you have these snakes or in my case, my big cats. I have a friend who owns a tiger. A year and a half ago, he had a fire that burned down his garage. When the insurance company found out he had a tiger, they dropped him immediately. He did find a company to insure his house and tiger, but the cost is about $2,800 per year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
" I have a friend who owns a tiger. A year and a half ago, he had a fire that burned down his garage. When the insurance company found out he had a tiger, they dropped him immediately. He did find a company to insure his house and tiger, but the cost is about $2,800 per year. "

Yes Amber The Bobcat, that is exactly what my husband was scared off. In his opinion, keeping the snakes, continue to pay insurance as if they were not would defy the purpose of it.....in case they were to find out. Another big reason is that unfortunetly my in-laws live accross the street and my father in law did open his big mouth to the insurance company about what pets we owned back when we first got out house. We only had one snake back then. We had just moved in and he was dealing with the home owner's insurance(since the deed of the house was in his name at the time).

vet65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is ridiculous that insurance companies do things like this. How could they possibly assess whether or not your snakes are dangerous and whether or not you are responsible snake owners who know what safety precautions to take and how to care for them properly. I hate these generalizations insurance companies make. For instance, we have a doberman mix. The insurance company makes us pay more simply because we have a "dangerous" dog. Any dog has the potential of being dangerous. Just because dobermans are portrayed as mean guard dogs in movies doesn't mean anything. Anyone who has met a doberman in person has probably seen how well-behaved and gentle they can be. I'm so sorry you guys had to deal with this =(

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vet65

It is ridiculous that insurance companies do things like this. How could they possibly assess whether or not your snakes are dangerous and whether or not you are responsible snake owners who know what safety precautions to take and how to care for them properly. I hate these generalizations insurance companies make. For instance, we have a doberman mix. The insurance company makes us pay more simply because we have a "dangerous" dog. Any dog has the potential of being dangerous. Just because dobermans are portrayed as mean guard dogs in movies doesn't mean anything. Anyone who has met a doberman in person has probably seen how well-behaved and gentle they can be. I'm so sorry you guys had to deal with this =(
Wow, I didn't realise they include Dobermans on the dangerous dog list now
I used to have a neighbor who had one, that dog was as sweet as can be. He loved when I would play catch with snow balls with him
Next thing you know, insurance companies will be telling home owners they can not have parties or any big family get togethers at their house. After all, all those people there can possibly be a safety risk

All these insurance companies have no problems paying their executives huge sums of money. Oh, I get it now. Lets charge exotic animal and certain dog owners more, so that we can pay the salary of these useless executives. Now I get it

vet65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

Wow, I didn't realise they include Dobermans on the dangerous dog list now
I used to have a neighbor who had one, that dog was as sweet as can be. He loved when I would play catch with snow balls with him
Next thing you know, insurance companies will be telling how owners they can not have parties or any big family get togethers at their house. After all, all those people there can possibly be a safety risk

All these insurance companies have no problems paying their executives huge sums of money. Oh, I get it now. Lets charge exotic animal and certain dog owners more so that we can pay the salary of these useless executives. Now I get it
Like I said, absolutely ridiculous! You should meet my "vicious" doberman. If you even look at him the wrong way, he whines like a baby and goes off in the corner. We have a nickname for him around here: BABB, which stands for Big A** Baby Butt.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vet65

Like I said, absolutely ridiculous! You should meet my "vicious" doberman. If you even look at him the wrong way, he whines like a baby and goes off in the corner. We have a nickname for him around here: BABB, which stands for Big A** Baby Butt.
Oh, I don't doubt that
That's how my neighbors Doberman was.

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"Each year in the U.S, dog bite claims cost insurance companies millions of dollars, which is why many companies are now refusing to write coverage for specific dog breeds, such as Rottweilers, pit bulls, Chows, German shepherds, Dalmatians, huskies, Airedales, and Great Danes." Helping Animals.com
A dangerous animal is one that has bitten, attacked, or inflicted injury on a person or a companion animal.
VIRGINIA

"Virginia enacted a law in 2004 that permits insurance policies to exclude coverage related to dangerous or vicious animals under certain conditions (Va. Code Ann. § 38. 2-2128). Effective July 1, 2004, an insurer that issues or delivers a new or renewal policy to insure an owner-occupied dwelling can, with the insured’s written and witnessed consent, exclude from coverage any liability resulting from an injury caused by a dangerous or vicious animal owned by or in the care, custody, or control of the insured. A dangerous or vicious animal is one that has bitten, attacked, or inflicted injury on a person or a companion animal. The insurer is not required to obtain the insured’s written consent for any subsequent policy renewal." By: Janet L. Kaminski, Associate Legislative Attorney

vet65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rockstarkitties

"Each year in the U.S, dog bite claims cost insurance companies millions of dollars, which is why many companies are now refusing to write coverage for specific dog breeds, such as Rottweilers, pit bulls, Chows, German shepherds, Dalmatians, huskies, Airedales, and Great Danes." Helping Animals.com
A dangerous animal is one that has bitten, attacked, or inflicted injury on a person or a companion animal.
VIRGINIA

"Virginia enacted a law in 2004 that permits insurance policies to exclude coverage related to dangerous or vicious animals under certain conditions (Va. Code Ann. § 38. 2-2128). Effective July 1, 2004, an insurer that issues or delivers a new or renewal policy to insure an owner-occupied dwelling can, with the insuredâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s written and witnessed consent, exclude from coverage any liability resulting from an injury caused by a dangerous or vicious animal owned by or in the care, custody, or control of the insured. A dangerous or vicious animal is one that has bitten, attacked, or inflicted injury on a person or a companion animal. The insurer is not required to obtain the insuredâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s written consent for any subsequent policy renewal." By: Janet L. Kaminski, Associate Legislative Attorney
So according to those laws, a dangerous animal is one that HAS ALREADY bitten or attacked someone. I'm assuming non of your snakes have bitten or attacked anyone, and even if they had, how would the insurance company know that?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rockstarkitties

http://www.mspca.org/site/PageServer...ets_Home_Insur

According to this article, Labrador Retrievers have been added to the dangerous dogs list. Absurd.
Yep - we had trouble with our Ins due to a Lab & Lab mix. Mostly simply as they are a very popular breed, this many "bad apples" are out there. I know someone else who couldn't have Pom mixes on her ins!

reptile dude007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My I ask, what kind of snake you were planning on getting? Was it venomous, very large, or both? Such as a king cobra, reticulated Python. Burmese python, etc?

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by reptile dude007

My I ask, what kind of snake you were planning on getting? Was it venomous, very large, or both? Such as a king cobra, reticulated Python. Burmese python, etc?
We has Ball Python, a Reticulted Python, Red Tail Boa and an African Rock. I am not sure husband told them what kind we had though..... They fall under "exotic animals" in the insurance's cute language.

And no, our snakes did not bite anyone except my hubby(African Rocks had a TERRIBLE attitude sometimes). Obviously he is an experienced handler and had gloves and all while handling the not so tame ones. No blood involved

I did give my 3 month old Ragdoll a bath though.....and got bleeding scratches in my arms....OH NO, I hope my insurance agent DOES NOT READ THIS. Halo IS dangerous, lol

reptile dude007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't get it. I have had "Exotic" pets for over 6 years and that includes snakes, and to my knowledge, the insurance never dropped up.

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by reptile dude007

I don't get it. I have had "Exotic" pets for over 6 years and that includes snakes, and to my knowledge, the insurance never dropped up.
The insurance "might" drop you if they find out (depending on insurance company, where you live, etc). Sometimes you can just exclude any damages or claims related to the exotic pets you own. My point is yes, you can have exotic animals for years and nothing bad happens. But if something does happen and you have to use your insurance, and they find out you have exotics and that is NOT covered you have a big headache...and a breach of contract. A very sad thing indeed