not so new, need advice

dreamweaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not so new a few years back I joined the cat site because my Rhapsody was pregnant and I wanted to be the best mid-wife I could be. Then shortly after her babies left the roost my Trouble crossed the bridge. After losing Trouble I was not going to get another cat for a while and then my husband brings home this black ball of fire, enter Vladamir.

I am here today, as another life change catastrophe is about to happen and I am looking for advice. I did not know where I should post this cry for help.

My husband and I are losing our home, the good news is we are not being left on the street, my parents are allowing us two years to get back on our feet at their home. We have one dog, Buddy, who is in his golden years at aget 13 and the two cats, Rhapsody and Vladamir. My concerns are for the cats as mom and dad have two active dogs a jack russle named Yady and a blue healer named Mistic. But my worse concern is that they are out in the country with of course many stray cats and many big big birds.

Dad would like us to keep the cats outside and mom says well, if they are moving in I have to let my cat in too. Rhapsy and Vlad will win their hearts but Vlad is very sensitive we had work done on our home due to water damamge around the holidays and he licked his belly and legs bare. How to I help them handle this change.

Sean, my husband says that he will teach them to use the doggie door to that they will not be outdoor cats, so that problem solved. But what if they do not come in because of the dogs. I was thinking I would just lock them up in my room until they realize that this is their home and break them into the current pets of the house slowly.

Any advice and where should I post this to get the best help?

DreamWeaver

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time.

At first I thought SOS but possibly TCS's Behavior forum might help you.
Good luck

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dreamweaver

My concerns are for the cats as mom and dad have two active dogs a jack russle named Yady and a blue healer named Mistic. But my worse concern is that they are out in the country with of course many stray cats and many big big birds.

Rhapsy and Vlad will win their hearts but Vlad is very sensitive we had work done on our home due to water damamge around the holidays and he licked his belly and legs bare. How to I help them handle this change.

Sean, my husband says that he will teach them to use the doggie door to that they will not be outdoor cats, so that problem solved. But what if they do not come in because of the dogs. I was thinking I would just lock them up in my room until they realize that this is their home and break them into the current pets of the house slowly.
Sorry you are going through this and so good that you have parents to help.

I think you are correct in being concerned about the wild life out in the country. Your mom's cat is outside all the time? From her comment to your dad about wanting her cat inside too, sounds like she is worried about her cat being out. Your mom's cat having been outside probably has learned how to avoid the predatory animals. This may stress your Vladamir.

Teaching them to use the doggie door will not solve anything if they are afraid to come in with the dogs.

Keeping them in your room would be a basic necessity to help transition them. Look in the sticky above about introducing dogs and cats.

They can live just fine in your room. Especially because it is temporary. Put something they can sit on in front of the windows, have someplace they can get up high like a bookshelf, dresser, chest, etc. Not a problem for cats. One member has lived in an RV with more than two cats. It can be done. Staying in your room should also help the cat that stresses. That way all the other animals will not be a concern.

When you move, take your sheets and dirty laundry. Do not wash them but put them in the new room with the cats. It will smell like home and safe. Take all their beds without washing anything.

Hope things go well for all of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamweaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. Especially the sticky on dogs and cats, Mystic is very much a herding dog, and I can see there being problems there.

Mom will just love the idea of me leaving my laudry on the floors in our room. LOL

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very good advice! I moved a long time ago into my parents home and had my first cat with me. He lived in my room and was content. it can be done. Also, look into proper intros with dogs. I am sure you may be suprised! Especially since your mom has a cat. The dogs may be used to cats and could react favorably. Good luck to you!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We live in an RV. It is 8 feet wide and 38 feet long. We live here full time with 7 cats - and we're all quite happy and content.
Cats adjust just fine to living in a smaller space. You just have to make sure they have as much VERTICAL space as possible - and you have to play with them some extra to make sure they get exercise.
Bird watching is a favorite activity. We make sure they have window seats at all the windows - and we put up those bird feeders that have suction cups on them that stick on the window. In the summer it doesn't attract as many birds - but they will LOVE it in the fall and Winter!
(During the summer the squirrels are just as fun to watch at the feeder
).

And you don't have to leave the dirty laundry there long.
2 - 3 days should be fine. You may also want to purchase some Feliway spray if you can afford it. Feliway is a synthetic hormone that mimics the "friendly" markers in cats' cheeks and will help them feel less stressed during all the turmoil and change in the territory.

Laurie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd keep the cats in your room for awhile and introduce them slowly to the others. Or you can build a good sturdy cat enclosure for them to be outside for awhile but in complete safety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamweaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, I can not believe all the great ideas and advice.

We just spent the weekend over my parents and its not pretty much a go that we will be moving in. I showed my mom some of the cat condos I was thinking about buying so the two mischief givers will have some place to perch. She says those will look very nice outside.

So I will have to work on her and let helf her feel my fear for my cats and the wild life at her house.