Help! Puppy's eyes are extremely swollen, along with bumps on head, and wheezing!

rachaelkn2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really need suggestions! My puppy is really sick! She was fine earlier today.. but a couple hours later I went outside to find her laying down in the dirt and unresponsive. She was awake, but wouldn't even move her tail at the sound of my voice.. I picked her up and noticed her whole body was severly swollen and she could barely open her eyes! She had hard bumbs on her head and she was kind of wheezing and wimpering.. she is so miserable..she keeps itching her eyes.. I gave a her a little but of benedryl,and tried to put a little bit of eyes drops but I don't think the drops made it in.... that was an hour ago and there still has been no improvement.. she is sleeping right now.. everyone says that she must have gotten stung or bit and had an allergic reaction! I can't take her any where untill tomorrow! I'm scared.. Please help!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rachaelkn2009

I really need suggestions! My puppy is really sick! She was fine earlier today.. but a couple hours later I went outside to find her laying down in the dirt and unresponsive. She was awake, but wouldn't even move her tail at the sound of my voice.. I picked her up and noticed her whole body was severly swollen and she could barely open her eyes! She had hard bumbs on her head and she was kind of wheezing and wimpering.. she is so miserable..she keeps itching her eyes.. I gave a her a little but of benedryl,and tried to put a little bit of eyes drops but I don't think the drops made it in.... that was an hour ago and there still has been no improvement.. she is sleeping right now.. everyone says that she must have gotten stung or bit and had an allergic reaction! I can't take her any where untill tomorrow! I'm scared.. Please help!
IMO you should do anything you can to take her to an ER vet. This is undoubtedly an emergency. Can you call your vet and see if there is a recording for an ER vet on their answer machine? Usually there is...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachaelkn2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

IMO you should do anything you can to take her to an ER vet. This is undoubtedly an emergency. Can you call your vet and see if there is a recording for an ER vet on their answer machine? Usually there is...
I couldn't get a hold of anyone. We don't have an animal hospital that close to us.. that I know of. My mom's friend said that her dog did that and benedryl helped so I'm hoping she'll get through the night!

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It definetly sounds like an allergic reaction. How is her breathing? Depending on the level of reaction, her throat could close up seriously compromising her breathing....
Please keep us posted!!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachaelkn2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rockstarkitties

It definetly sounds like an allergic reaction. How is her breathing? Depending on the level of reaction, her throat could close up seriously compromising her breathing....
Please keep us posted!!!!!!!!!
Well we gave her another small dose of Benedryl around 12:00 last night four hours after the last dose.. and I stayed up until around 4 with her.. I fell asleep and woke up at 6:30 and when I went to check on her .. she was back to normal! She was hyper running around and she looked perfectly fine... I'm just wondering if the reaction may come back.

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rachaelkn2009

Well we gave her another small dose of Benedryl around 12:00 last night four hours after the last dose.. and I stayed up until around 4 with her.. I fell asleep and woke up at 6:30 and when I went to check on her .. she was back to normal! She was hyper running around and she looked perfectly fine... I'm just wondering if the reaction may come back.
I am glad she is feeling better
. It is very important to find out what she is allergic to. If she comes in contact with whatever it is she will likely have a reaction again. Glad she is better, what a scary thing

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would check the yard to see if you see anything she might have gotten into. Look for ant hills, bee hives, weeds, anything.

The bad news is that if this was an allergic reaction, it's likely to be worse next time.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your puppy is better too, but please take her to a vet to be checked out and describe what happened, and what steps were taken to help her. Your puppy was lucky and recovered, but if this was an allergic reaction it could be more serious next time.