Donated to the local shelter today

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had some food, treats and Revolution left from Brandy
as well as a couple cans of cat food that my kitties won't eat anymore. So I contacted the ACC shelter local to me, to see if they would accept the food, wasn't sure since it wasn't in a bag..... and they were quite grateful

Thanks for thinking of us. We sure would appreciate anything that would be of use to our stray dogs. I took a beautiful yellow lab mix in this morning that was found wandering on XXXXXXXXX. It is loaded with ticks and the revolution would come in handy as well as the food donations.
poor pup. I'm glad Brandy's Revolution will help.

I stopped in to see the kitties.... this shelter has a "cat room". The cats who can, are free to roam the room. Ones that have just had surgery or whatever, are caged in the room. My heart melted the instant I walked in the room.... I felt something on my leg.... looked down and this wee Moo kitty was climbing up me

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13953865 (that was the one that crawled up my leg)

They had 2 beautiful tortishell (I think),
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=14016986 (this girl is absolutely stunning in person)
and a couple older guys (one looked like garfield....orange and a wee bit chunky.... she was eating).

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13351094

My heart melted for all of them
But I'm glad to know that Brandy's food and such will be put to good use, as will the cat food I dropped off.

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That was a very nice thing you did. What a wonderful idea. It seems as if Brandy is still spreading love even after her passing. I too will donate a bag of dog and cat food to my local shelter in Brandys honor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sandy2u1

That was a very nice thing you did. What a wonderful idea. It seems as if Brandy is still spreading love even after her passing. I too will donate a bag of dog and cat food to my local shelter in Brandys honor.
That is very kind of you

I was surprised they took the food without a bag though, that was my reason for posting....to let others know in these circumstances places will take whatever they can get.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those kitties are adorable! Kudos to you for donating your items. I've donated food, old toys, and sheets and towels to the local humane society before. They're always so thankful for the donations!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Those kitties are adorable! Kudos to you for donating your items. I've donated food, old toys, and sheets and towels to the local humane society before. They're always so thankful for the donations!
Ohhh, thanks for the idea..... I didn't even think about towels and sheets, or old toys for that matter.... I have a bunch of sheets that were to be donated, I'll have to check into that and see if they want them

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I first adopted George, we went though a lot of different foods until he found one he liked. The shelter that I got him from was very happy to take everything that didn't pass George's picky tastes - all opened. Well, the dried food had been opened! Some things I dropped off were just a couple cans of wet food...everything is appreciated.

If I could - I'd take all the animals home with me!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't think they'd need the sheets, but when I listed them on Freecycle the lady who responded first said she'd like to have them for the humane society as they can use those for bedding and such. The towels they use for cleaning up messes, drying cats/dogs, and various other things.

My vet's office also will take used towels, hand towels, and wash cloths.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave a lot of dried food that my girls wouldnt eat to a shelter who adopted out cats at the local PetSmart. It was in ziplock bags and they were very appreciative. These were the people who had a beautiful, white odd-eyed girl who was deaf. this precious kitty was adopted by a lady who was also deaf!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by George's Mom

The shelter that I got him from was very happy to take everything that didn't pass George's picky tastes - all opened. Well, the dried food had been opened! Some things I dropped off were just a couple cans of wet food...everything is appreciated.

If I could - I'd take all the animals home with me!!
Good to know. I think more people need to know that shelters will take alot. Like me, I didn't think they would take opened bags, or food with no bag. I'm glad I emailed and asked

Originally Posted by stephanietx

I didn't think they'd need the sheets, but when I listed them on Freecycle the lady who responded first said she'd like to have them for the humane society as they can use those for bedding and such. The towels they use for cleaning up messes, drying cats/dogs, and various other things.

My vet's office also will take used towels, hand towels, and wash cloths.
After you mentioned that, I emailed the lady again, asking if they could use any towels or sheets. I have oodles to part with.

Originally Posted by Catkiki

These were the people who had a beautiful, white odd-eyed girl who was deaf. this precious kitty was adopted by a lady who was also deaf!
What a sweet story

The cow kitty that climbed on me as soon as I went in, there was someone else who came in after me and was looking at him. I heard her mentioned that he was the one they were inquiring about....so I turned and just laughed, saying how lovable he was and that we were just visiting, as I handed over the baby.

I sure hope he got adopted

The shelter is not doing so well right now. Normally cats cost either 100 or $150....they had a few on for FREE. One of the tortiseshell, and the Garfield cats were on for free, so were a couple others that have been there a long time.

I'm glad I did NOT go looking at dogs.

So many animals in need, so little space/money to adopt them
But as they said to me, anything, helps...the 5-10lbs of food, 2 cans of cat/kitten food, helps. Ya gotta look at the small picture....the big picture is too overwhelming

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most shelters will have their donation wish lists posted on their sites. I've seen anything from towels and food to washing machines and office equipment. If anyone has a shelter nearby, look on their website and donate goods their way.

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is very kind of you

I was surprised they took the food without a bag though, that was my reason for posting....to let others know in these circumstances places will take whatever they can get.
I know that you were not trying to get people to make donations. You and Brandy have inspired me though. I try to avoid shelters because I feel horrible for every animal there that I can't adopt. And I don't mean for a day or two...I mean I see those faces for a very very long time. Even when I got Max (from a pet store) I feel guilty every day for not taking his sister. I picked Max over her because I felt he was the least likely to find a family because he was very unfriendly. I hope and pray that she found a good home. At least by donations, that is a way I can help without feeling forever guilt for every little face I see in there.