What kind of tabby markings are these?

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mews2much guided me to this thread to see if anyone knows what kind of tabby markings my gray kitten has. The "twins" were born to a feral and from what I've been told, my orange kitty, Nacho is a classic tabby.

stretching out

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 'orange' one is a red classic tabby with white, and the other is brown spotted tabby with white.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically its not a "spotted" tabby, but its a broken mackerel pattern. The spotted tabby would not have spots in rows but would be more random.

A true spotted tabby would be like the Mau, Ocicat or Bengal. He could be a cross of a spotted and a mackerel and that's why he has more broken stripes that became spotted.

Willing to bet when a small kitten (under 2 months old), those spots were closer together on the body and as he grew, the spots/stripes stretched out.

He's a very handsome cat tho

Unless the color is "off" in the picture he's not a brown tabby - he's a silver tabby.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Technically its not a "spotted" tabby, but its a broken mackerel pattern. The spotted tabby would not have spots in rows but would be more random.
I was going to say broken mackerel too.

They are both beautiful cats

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was kinda wondering the flash may have made him look like a brown tabby (specially behind the ears) but the un-silvered sibling made me think more likely brown than silver.

Oh, this reminds me (sorry about the hijack) that my foldie kitten who we thought was a black silver shaded mackerel tabby, has now developed into a broken mackerel tabby. I wouldn't call him shaded at all anymore.
I should take new pics..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are 4.5 months now so I'll take more pictures as time goes on to see how much the spots change on Logan and to see if Nacho's change as well. Thanks to you all for your help!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

I was kinda wondering the flash may have made him look like a brown tabby (specially behind the ears) but the un-silvered sibling made me think more likely brown than silver.

Oh, this reminds me (sorry about the hijack) that my foldie kitten who we thought was a black silver shaded mackerel tabby, has now developed into a broken mackerel tabby. I wouldn't call him shaded at all anymore.
I should take new pics..
Yes pics please! I've got another mystery kitten at the moment. He was the same colour as those ones we were having trouble with. I've entered him in the shows as a Blue ticked silver tabby. We'll see how that rolls.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I couldn't find the original 'Shaded tabby'-topic so I'll keep hijacking this one.
(Sorry!)

Now where was I... Right! Tomu, the foldie kitten who seems to be a cameleon. This is what he looked like when he arrived in late April (pic taken in daylight without flash) :

And now (again without flash, not in the best light) :

with daddy:

And just for comparison, all my silver boys:

I was going to take some pics where he's stretched so you could see his sides better but the battery died from my camera..

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that he's registered as a silver shaded spotted tabby, but the registration papers were sent ages ago and he looks totally different now.