Vet prescribed deworming pill?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nowhere on the health record does it say what this pill is. It is an orangish pill, with a score mark on it.... no other markings.

Does anyone know what this is? Or if its even a vet prescribed dewormer? Was told that it was, that one dose has been given, and another needs to be given next wk (2wks apart).

If all else fails, I can get the vet's number to find out for sure what this pill is, which I will do (it'll take a couple days to get the info) but in the meantime, I'm curious as to if anyone has heard of this?

My vet treats with strongid, a paste.... so this is a new one on me and I'm definately going to be following up with the original vet.

Thanks.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm confused - where did you get the pill? If you got it from a vet which is where you should get medications in the first place, why do you not have their number to call and ask. I would assume you received a bill of sale so their contact information should be on that piece of paper.

If you didn't get it from a vet, then heaven only knows what it is and it would be irresponsible of any of us to guess.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am in the process of taking care of four 5 week old kittens from a stray, I had to take them from the mom because they all have URI's and she's so young, their eyes were all practically shut. I took them to the Vet, and they gave me antibiotics, eye medication, drops for mites and a dewormer, its a yellowish/orangey liquid, called Pyrantel dewormer I gave each one their one syringe filled and another one will be in 10 days then its finished.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm confused - where did you get the pill? If you got it from a vet which is where you should get medications in the first place, why do you not have their number to call and ask. I would assume you received a bill of sale so their contact information should be on that piece of paper.

If you didn't get it from a vet, then heaven only knows what it is and it would be irresponsible of any of us to guess.
All I'm wonderring is if dewormers from a vet's office come in pill form, as all I've ever used was strongid.

As I said, I can get the vet's number, but it will take a couple days for me to be able to contact this person to get the number for her vet. Untill I can do so, I'm curious if vet prescribed dewormers come in pill form. I don't intend on using it untill I know 100% via the prescribing vet.

I've just never heard of a vet prescribed deworming "pill"..... only a paste, hence my curiousity.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

its a yellowish/orangey liquid, called Pyrantel dewormer I gave each one their one syringe filled and another one will be in 10 days then its finished.
That's what my vet does, only the wormer is called Strongid, but the same as you described. When I dewormed Kitchi and Pax, I was sent home with a syringe with the paste, to give X days after the initial one at the vet.

I'll know for sure once I get this vet's info, and can give them a call.... Till then, I just find it weird that the pill is not in any packaging, doesn't have any identifying marks on it, yet I was told it was from the vet

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The few times I've had any cat/kitten dewormed was liquid in a syringe at the vet's office. I was never given a deworming pill.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I'm curious if vet prescribed dewormers come in pill form. I don't intend on using it untill I know 100% via the prescribing vet.

I've just never heard of a vet prescribed deworming "pill"..... only a paste, hence my curiousity.
One of my boys was prescribed a dewormer in pill form a couple of months ago, I don't remember the name of it, but it was pill.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our original vet prescribed a pill, but it was white. It was called Drontal. The round worm our kitties had turned out to be resistant to it, so we ended up having to treat them with Panacur AND Strongid. Both were liquid given every day for 10 days, and our vet had us give a 3 week break inbetween doses. But the reason for treating at least a second time is that ANY dewormer only kills the adult parasite, so the eggs have to become adults - thus the second treatment. A stool sample should always be taken in after that to ensure they're all gone, because it can take a third treatment (after another 2 or three weeks after that last dose).

I'd just call my vet and get a dewormer I'm used to using rather than give the stuff from the other vet.

Laurie

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.... I was not aware that vet prescribed wormers came in pills.

I'm just going to take the pill to my vet on Monday, and ask them for their input. Kizzy and Kitchi are going to the vet, and now, so is NoName.

I really don't like unpackaged, and unmarked pills. I also don't like worming unless they need it. Kizzy has never needed it. Kitchi and Pax did. So I'll bring a sample in on Monday, and see if he needs deworming or not.

Thanks for the info folks

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Our original vet prescribed a pill, but it was white. It was called Drontal. Laurie
That was the name of the med my Vet gave Drontal.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This would be why one needs to research and question.

I'm fairly certain (won't be 100% till I get the vet's number who saw this kitten) that the pill I was given with my kittens health record is NOT a vet prescribed dewormer.

My vets name/addy is on the front of the health records I have, there is no vet name/info on the health record I got.... It has the vaccine info, but the lady forgot to stick the vet certificate in with the Health record....(that i have asked for, but I just "assumed" the vet name was on the health record).

(and yes, a proper intro of my new baby will come shortly....
)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just to close this thread:

The pill was not vet prescribed, and I'm glad I did NOT give it to him.