Cat wants to go out, What do I do :( ?

yamcha67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Guys,

The problem is my cat wants to go outside, I've tried the leash and collar and he breaks away, its very frustrating.. We did use to let him out, but apparently cats are now allowed out without a leash/collar according to the humane society.. I don't wanna go into it, but we were fined because someone sent a complaint saying "He was chasing birds", anyway.. they told us cats aren't allowed out at all without a leash & collar, strangely enough there are 3 other cats that go out without any supervision..

What can I do to keep him from going outside??

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Be vigilant. If your are, say, moving furniture in/out or for some other reason will be having the door open for a while, confine him in some room with a door that closes. If he tries to get out, block him with your foot and use a sweeping motion to herd him away. Don't actually KICK him, of course! In time he will learn that he's an indoor cat.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, if the door is open at all for some reason and there's a risk of him bolting, keep him in a separate room until you're done using the door and it's closed. I used to have to do that with one of my cats, who was intent on getting outside.
Next off, don't walk your cat with a collar. Use a leash and harness instead. It prevents them from slipping out (providing it's a good fit, of course) and is also easier on the throat if he were to dart or pull.
I started taking Molly out on a leash and harness and she loves it. She enjoys being outside (safely with well-fitting equipment) and she no longer tries to bolt out the door at her first opportunity.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What the cat wants and what you want are 2 different things - who owns who????

You have 3 choices:

1. Keep him inside (no matter how much he complains).
2. Train him to a HARNESS/leash - not a collar/leash. Harnesses he cannot escape from when you are at the other end of the leash.
3. Build or buy a sturdy cat enclosure where he can sit outside for awhile but be safe from roaming unsupervised.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started out letting my 3 go outside for a couple of hours a day, but after some frightening events (for example, Molly getting stuck in a tree, and seeing 2 coyotes walk through the yard on the same day) we decided to make them indoor only cats. At first it was hard because they would cry to go outside, but in time, they learned that they had to stay in and have become content with that. They get plenty of exercise inside with their cat tree, laser toy and other toys...not to mention chasing each other...and I don't feel badly about keeping them in because I know that in the end they are happier and healthier for it.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream

I started out letting my 3 go outside for a couple of hours a day, but after some frightening events (for example, Molly getting stuck in a tree, and seeing 2 coyotes walk through the yard on the same day) we decided to make them indoor only cats. At first it was hard because they would cry to go outside, but in time, they learned that they had to stay in and have become content with that. They get plenty of exercise inside with their cat tree, laser toy and other toys...not to mention chasing each other...and I don't feel badly about keeping them in because I know that in the end they are happier and healthier for it.
Exactly; Zane still tries to get out, but his efforts are half-hearted at best; he knows that he's an indoor cat now. It took a while, though, so be patient.

(However, coyotes aren't necessarily a death sentence to cats. My aunt's cat used to run coyotes out of the yard; he'd climb up into a tree, wait on the branch, and then jump down onto the coyote's back with all four sets of claws extended. Yip. . . yip. . . .yip. . .yip.)

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a cat named Shredder who could escape the coyotes out here, but he was the only cat out of my neighbor's seven cats who didn't get killed by one. NOT worth the risk IMO, especially since there are safe alternatives.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby was letting Bijou out against my wishes. He insisted that Bijou wanted to go out so therefore he should. Two abscesses from fights and a lump removal to the tune of $1,300, Bijou now stays indoors. He is smart enough to know that I don't let him out, ever and therefore he never cries or tries to get out the door on me. Hubby is a different matter. He knows hubby was the one that let him out so he'll cry to go out when John is around. You need to be consistent and very patient but eventually they will get the message.

I just need to say "No, Bijou" when he goes to the door and he runs away from the door.

Anyone who lets their cat outside should start a saving plan for the vet IMO because sooner or later it's going to cost megabucks if they don't want to just euthanize because they can't afford the vet bills.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you want your cat to live a long, healthy life, keep him indoors where he is safe from birds of prey, canines, cars, sadistic teenagers, and other feline-hostile life forms.

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Max is like your cat. He wants to go out so bad. If the kids are outside he will sit at the door and just meow. If anybody comes in or out he tries to dart past them and get out. It has really helped me a lot to take him outside on harness and leash and just let him walk around for a while. I don't actually lead him...I just follow him around and of course the harness and leash keeps him from taking off. It has really helped him. He doesn't try and bolt out the door near as much or stand there and meow.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

If you want your cat to live a long, healthy life, keep him indoors where he is safe
That's not the only option, cats can go out safely on harness or in an enclosure/cat proof yard.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

That's not the only option, cats can go out safely on harness or in an enclosure/cat proof yard.
I agree. John still takes Bijou out with his harness on and a retractable dog leash. Bijou knows when he sees the harness that he can go outside because he'll come and sit at your feet waiting for you to fasten the harness then he'll go stand by the door and wait for us to catch up.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake goes out in our yard, it has a high fence and we are supervising him to make sure he stays in the fenced area at all times- he is never there alone. He does like to get away first chance he gets through the front door so when coming in we always make sure to come in and close the door really fast. It's a pain the ass though because every time he sees someone about to open the door he is right in front of it waiting for a chance to get out. Sometimes even if i'm not about to open the door but pass by it he stands by it just in case I decide to open it and meows
I don't know if I should stop letting him out period??? What do you guys think, sorry for the hijack? But do you think it's better not to let him out at all to reduce the chance of him wanting to sneak out and to make sure he learns he's an indoor cat?

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I agree. John still takes Bijou out with his harness on and a retractable dog leash. Bijou knows when he sees the harness that he can go outside because he'll come and sit at your feet waiting for you to fasten the harness then he'll go stand by the door and wait for us to catch up.
I agree as well. I take Molly safely out on a harness and leash and she's completely stopped trying to get out the door and seems much calmer in general. She learned very quickly that the harness means she can go outside.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was glad to see a thread of this nature, because it's the same question I've asked for months since I've "acquired" Chance, my adopted stray.

Maybe it's a slightly different situation, since Chance was a cat that hobbled into my garage and "chose" me, needing medical attention. Where he came from, I'm not sure. Now that he's healthy, it's quite apparent that Chance is the c.ock of the walk around here, and knows his way around the neighborhood. He has kitty friends and a wooded area across the street that he loves to frequent.

I've tried like mad to keep him inside. Understand, I would do anything to keep this cat safe. If something happens to him, I will have to endure the burden of guilt for choosing to give him what he wants in lieu of what will (likely) keep him free of external harm.

Chance is a big, strapping tom, with great reflexes, big ol' mitts, and a tremendous sense of adventure. I suppose he's like many cats in that respect, but when he's looked at me after he's grown bored of being inside, mrrrowing in that way, scratching at the door and giving me those big, green eyes, I have to give Chance what he wants. My heart breaks every single time I do it, but I trust him. I trust that he knows the risks, but knows that he needs his freedom even more.

Of course, Chance knows that come evening, it's time to come in for the night. If he's around anytime after 7 or so, he's brought inside the house. If we miss him, the doggy door to the garage remains open for him.

For as much of an obsessive fanatic as I am when it comes to my cats' health, I still like to think it's important to assess them as individuals. I like to think I've prepared Chance for the world as best I can. He's been fixed, gets all regular vaccinations, and has tagged indentification. I kept the flyers that I took down the last time he was gone for a few days. I'm prepared to keep putting them up when needed. Fingers crossed.

I feel like a heel even writing this, because I know how it must look to some; lazy and irresponsible. Mind you, I would never let my indoor cats outside under any circumstances, but Chance gives a vibe that I can't explain, I just can't keep him "caged" in good conscience. I love him too much. I've resigned myself to the fact that I could find him in the most horrific of conditions on any given day, but I am convinced that I have done the right thing by him, and that he loves me for giving him the quality of life he deserves.

I'm not sure this helped you in your desire to find answers, but I just wanted to share with you another (perhaps isolated, unfortunately) angle of your situation. No, I don't think you should let your cat out. But I do understand the weight of your dilemma and the many ways your love of your cat manifests itself in how you want them to feel about life.

I hope everything works out.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Sometimes even if i'm not about to open the door but pass by it he stands by it just in case I decide to open it and meows
I don't know if I should stop letting him out period???
Mine wear harnesses when they go out, which are removed soon as we step back inside. They know that harness=outside, so don't bother me at other times.