Crock pot recipes anybody....???

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got a crock pot from a coworker who recently moved in with her boyfriend (doubled up on a lot of things so tried to unload it on us,
). I've wanted a crock pot because I thought it would be great, especially with my busy schedule leaving me little time to cook. Problem is nobody in my family is a crock potter. So I have absolutely no clue what to cook!!

Anybody have any good recipes? I'm open to anything, as long as it isn't very expensive for ingredients.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here you go this is a favorite of mine for beef stew...

2 lb of beef cubed
3 potato's chunked fairly big
3 carrots chunked,
1 red onion chopped
1 cup celery chopped
1 cup mushrooms quartered
1 cup green beans frozen
1 cup peas frozen
1 whole cabbage quartered
2 cups water
3 tablespoons beef soup mix
When finished cooking before serving add 2 tablespoons corn starch mixed with hot water to thicken.

Enjoy.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one I made for July 4th

1 small beef roast
1-2 carrots, sliced
1-2 celery stalks, sliced
1-2 potaoes, cubed
1-2 tsp chopped garlic
1 sm onion cubed
salt and pepper
various spices to taste
1 can beef broth
water

Put everything in the crockpot and cook on high for 6-8 hrs

I don't know how big your crockpot is, but the ingredients can be customized to your specific tastes. The beef was so tender and just fell apart! Very yummy!!!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use my crockpot for easy things. I have a small crockpot, so I need recipes that require few ingredients. My favorites are:

Ribs - put the ribs in the crockpot and cover with a bottle of BBQ sauce. Let cook for 8-10 hours on low. They fall right off the bone (if they have bones) and are delicious.

Roast - put a roast in the crocktpot and cover with au jus sauce mixed with water (follow package instructions). Cook 8-10 hours on low. Very yummy.

Pork Chops - same with roast, but I would mix the BBQ sauce with a little water so it doesn't dry out the pork chops.

Corned Beef - put corned beef in crockpot and cover with water. Let cook 8-10 hours on low.

I've also done sloppy joes, chicken with some diced tomatoes and spices, and chicken with BBQ sauce..

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are a few that I have handy. They happen to be all beef things, as that's what was being discussed when I typed them out, but I'll look for others when I go upstairs.

Bargain Beef Stroganoff

1/4 cup \tall purpose flour
1 tsp\t\tsalt
1/2 tsp\t black pepper
2 lbs\t\tstewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tbsp\t\tvegetable oil
8 oz\t\tsmall white button mushrooms, cleaned*
2 \t\tonions, thinly sliced
1-1/2 cups\tbeef stock
3 tbsp\t\tWorcestershire sauce
3 tbsp\t\ttomato paste
2 tbsp\t\tpaprika
1 1/2 tbsp\tDijon mustard
1 cup\t\tsour cream
\t\tHot cooked egg noodles

In a bowl or plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. In batches, add beef to seasoned flour and toss to coat. In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef in batches and cook for 5-7 minutes or until browned on all sides. With a slotted spoon, transfer beef to slow cooker; add mushrooms and onions.

In a 2-cup measure, combine beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, paprika and mustard, mixing well. Pour into slow cooker.

Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-6 hours, until bubbling. Stir in sour cream and serve over hot noodles.

*can substitute large mushrooms, quartered.

Serves 4-6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cheeseburger Sloppy Joes

2 lbs\t\tlean ground beef
1 medium \tonion, finely chopped
1 stalks \tcelery, finely chopped
1 can (10 oz)\tcondensed tomato soup
1/4 cup\t water
2 tbsp\t\ttomato paste
1 tbsp\t\tWorcestershire sauce
2 tsp\t\tdried Italian seasoning
1 cup\t\t1/2-inch cubes cheddar cheese
\t\tSalt and black pepper
4-6 \t\tkaiser buns, split and toasted

In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef, breaking up with a spoon, until browned. With a slotted spoon, transfer meat to slow cooker.

Add onion to slow cooker, along with celery, tomato soup (undiluted), water, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and Italian seasoning, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-10 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.

Reduce heat to LOW. Add cheese cubes. Cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until cheese melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture over half a kaiser bun and top with the other half.

Serves 4-6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Homestyle Pot Roast

1/4 cup \tall purpose flour
\t\t**salt and black pepper
1\t\t3-4 lb beef cross rib or rump roast
1 tbsp \t vegetable oil
2\t\tonions, quartered
4\t\tcarrots, peeled and sliced
4-6\t\tpotatoes, peeled and quartered
1 cup \t\tbeef stock**
1 can (7.5 oz)\ttomato sauce
1 clove \t garlic, minced
1/2 tsp \t dried thyme
1 \t\tbay leaf
\t\tSalt and pepper

In a bowl, season flour to taste with salt and pepper. Pat meat dry and coat on all sides with seasoned flour.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook, turning with a wooden spoon, for 7-10 minutes or until brown on all sides. Transfer meat to slow cooker.

Add onions to slow cooker, along with carrots, potatoes, stock, tomato paste, garlic thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook on LOW for 10-12 hours or on HIGH for 6-8 hours, until vegetables are tender.

Remove pot roast, onions, carrots and potatoes, cover and set aside. Discard
bay leaf. Tip slow cooker and skim off any excess fat from surface of gravy; season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour gravy into sauce boat. Slice roast, arrange on a serving platter and surround with vegetables. Serve with gravy.

**It works wonderfully well just as is, but on my second go, I made a couple of changes which I liked a lot. [1] I used meat tenderiser on the meat and omitted the salt from the seasoned flour; [2] I substituted red wine for half the beef stock. These were beneficial, in terms of both flavour and tenderness.

Serves 6-8
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In all cases, it has been my experience that the longer cooking time on LOW is definitely preferable to the shorter one on HIGH.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are all from this book, in case you are interested...

"Canada's Best Slow Cooker Recipes"
Donna-Marie Pye

The publisher is Robert Rose, Inc., Toronto
ISBN 0-7788-0024-5

$18.95 US $19.95 Can.

In addition to lots of interesting recipes, which so far have not revealed a dud, there's a good introduction and general information about slow cookers, and the principles that apply to slow cooking. As a starting place it's excellent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow! Thanks everybody. Those all sound really good. ^^^ I'll check out the site too. A year!? Jeez....

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make a roast beef recipe similar to the ones listed.. I usually add two can of beef broth and one small bottle of merlot, add two bay leaves, the onion, and carrotts immediately. If I have it cooking on high I do it for about 4-5 hrs, adding potatoes in the last hour.

I love using www.recipezaar.com for crock pot recipes. I was not impressed with the recipes that came with my Crock Pot, so I wouldn't really recommend them.

I'm going to make a turkey breast soon- probably adding two cups of chicken broth, onion, poultry herbs, and placing the breast side down. It is super easy. Chicken can be done this way too, but I don't think it needs as much broth.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my favorites is Polish sausage, saurkraut and potatoes, gassy, it will talk back to you, lol, but oh so good.
I dont have a recipie as I cook by just adding stuff till it tastes good, but I will try.
2lbs Fresh Polish sausage, in links, not loose (it will look like it wont fit, just cram it in there, it shrinks as it cooks)
saurkraut with caraway seeds (sorry I have no measurement, I just buy a big can)
Half a head of cabbage, chopped into longish strips
1 lb of bacon, chopped into inch long pieces, sauteed until almost crisp, and the drippings!
2 medium sized apples, chopped, no peel. Granny Smith work best.
1 big onion, chopped as well.
Half a can of beer, any brand you like (drink the other half while doing all the chopping, lol)
As many potatoes as needed to balance that all out, red skin, Idaho's fall apart and make the broth to thick.

Put that all in, I usually add more garlic and caraway, and possibly more beer, it depends of how dark a beer you added, and how strong you like the flavor (the alcohol cooks out, so don't worry about that) and just let that bad boy simmer all day on low.

ETA: serve with some nice crusty rye bread and mustard for dipping, and of course, more beer, a dark lagger goes just great. Prepare to nap after the meal!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a recipe, but a helpful hint. I discovered crockpot liners, and I absolutely love them! Anything that saves clean up is wonderful.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Not a recipe, but a helpful hint. I discovered crockpot liners, and I absolutely love them! Anything that saves clean up is wonderful.
I agree! I will not use my crockpot if I don' thave liners! They are SOOO worth it, even though they are a bit pricey....

I have a great chicken recipie
1lb of chicken
1 thing of salsa
1 - 16oz container of sour cream

throw it all in, cook on low for 5-6hrs, serve over rice, YUMMIE!!! Its a recipie I got from my old weight watchers leader

Sometimes I had diced tomators instead of salsa.... just depeneds on how Im feeling that day

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two REALLY good crockpot cookbooks that I am forever cooking out of. I swear that is one of the BEST cooking appliances ever! Last night I made this Parisien chicken that tasted amazing while I was off cleaning the house!

If you want anything in particular just let me know! (and I have a small pot as well)

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a crock pot as well (used, recently acquired) and I have never used it, so this is a really useful thread for me, too.

Does anyone have some more chicken or turkey recipes? To balance out all the beef offerings.
Now that I have this collection of recipes, I will start watching adds for sales on roast or stew beef. I know I would make too much for just me, but there's nothing stopping me from putting the leftovers in tupperware and freezing, right?