or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Hypoallergenic foods
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hypoallergenic foods

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
My newest kitty, Bella, seems to have a bad dermatitis from food allergy. The vet prescribed Royal Canin Hypoallergenic dry food but it is SO expensive. $37 for 6 lb of food! And of course if I give it to Bella I have to give it to Peaches and Maxx too. There's no way of easily separating them. Especially since I'm still recovering from getting a total knee replacement. Anyone had any success with any over the counter foods? Anyone ever try Avoderm? There are also some foods at the local pet store that maybe I could try. But this is new territory to me and I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Poor Bella got so bad though, she had little scabs all over from biting and scratching. The vet had to give her a shot of antibiotic and steriods to calm things down. And she's never warmed up to humans since I got her. It makes me sad, really. She runs away from me when I come near her. That's part of what makes it almost impossible to catch her and pin her down! I had to trap her to take her to the vet and that was a struggle because all my methods she has wised up to! Little smarty pants!
post #2 of 18
You can look at/research a wide variety of cat foods at petfoodauthority.com, - ingredients, guar. analysis and price. They may have a food suitable for your cat.
post #3 of 18
what is the protein on the food he prescribed? Duck? Venison?
Natural Balance has a Limited Ingredients Edition line - Green pea Salmon, Green Pea Duck and Green Pea Chicken.
You want to use a protein that is not in the food that is causing problems. Grains seems to be another culprit, so staying away from it would be a good idea.
After a few months you can start adding new proteins into his diet to see what he reacts to - this way you can eliminate that allergen from his dieat while having more food choices. Bugsy is allergic to Chicken - he is now on Orijen 6-fish mixed with Acana Grasslands. For wet he eats Tiki cat (all fish), and Natural Balance Green Pea Venison.

I hope this helps!
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachariahsmom View Post
You can look at/research a wide variety of cat foods at petfoodauthority.com, - ingredients, guar. analysis and price. They may have a food suitable for your cat.
That's the problem. I don't know what I'm looking for in hypoallergenic ingredients. Hopefully someone will have some experience and insight!
post #5 of 18
Avoderm IMHO is NOT a allergy food.. corn , rice , wheat , and veggies

What has / is Bella eating>>?? wet , dry ??

the natural balance is close to some of the RC hypo formulas

remember most cats are allergic to fish, wheat , soy and corn ... then chicken , beef ,rice
post #6 of 18
I'm not a big fan on Natural Balance, as on a few occaisons I have tried feeding it - my cats have become very ill. That said - IMO - their allergy diet is among the easiest to find & best priced.

I know Science Diet makes an Rx allergy diet - Z/D - but it's not meant to be fed long term, but instead on a trial basis, then switch to another food.

My Damita had food issues (allergies). She successfully ate Fromm's Duck a la Veg & also Eagle Pack's Holisitc Select Sardines, Shrimp, & Anchovies. Eagle Pack also says their Holisitc Select Duck & Oatmeal is hypo-allergenic.

Another thought to consider - what were you feeding when she developed the scabs? Is it possible she would do OK on a grain-free food?
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u View Post
That's the problem. I don't know what I'm looking for in hypoallergenic ingredients. Hopefully someone will have some experience and insight!
Can you post the name of the food your vet is having you use?

Is it a prescription Royal Canin food? If you post the ingredients that are listed on the bag, someone could help come up with something comparable. Then you can ask your vet if the foods suggested here might work.
post #8 of 18
I'm guessing it's this food:

ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet® feline HYPOALLERGENIC HP™ 23 dry
Rice, soy protein isolate hydrolysate, chicken fat, natural flavors, powdered cellulose, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), monocalcium phosphate, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, soya oil, sodium silico aluminate, fructo-oligosaccharides, taurine, borage oil, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, DL-methionine, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid.

What was Bella eating before she was switched to the Royal Canin?
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Avoderm IMHO is NOT a allergy food.. corn , rice , wheat , and veggies

What has / is Bella eating>>?? wet , dry ??

the natural balance is close to some of the RC hypo formulas

remember most cats are allergic to fish, wheat , soy and corn ... then chicken , beef ,rice
Good to know. Thanks! A very useful list of allergy producers!


Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I'm not a big fan on Natural Balance, as on a few occaisons I have tried feeding it - my cats have become very ill. That said - IMO - their allergy diet is among the easiest to find & best priced.

I know Science Diet makes an Rx allergy diet - Z/D - but it's not meant to be fed long term, but instead on a trial basis, then switch to another food.

My Damita had food issues (allergies). She successfully ate Fromm's Duck a la Veg & also Eagle Pack's Holisitc Select Sardines, Shrimp, & Anchovies. Eagle Pack also says their Holisitc Select Duck & Oatmeal is hypo-allergenic.

Another thought to consider - what were you feeding when she developed the scabs? Is it possible she would do OK on a grain-free food?
You know, I used to feed Jake Eagle Pack's Duck & oatmeal. There is a store close by that carries all the Eagle pack stuff. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimble View Post
Can you post the name of the food your vet is having you use?

Is it a prescription Royal Canin food? If you post the ingredients that are listed on the bag, someone could help come up with something comparable. Then you can ask your vet if the foods suggested here might work.
Yes, See below. cloud_shade has it correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_shade View Post
I'm guessing it's this food:

ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet® feline HYPOALLERGENIC HP™ 23 dry
Rice, soy protein isolate hydrolysate, chicken fat, natural flavors, powdered cellulose, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), monocalcium phosphate, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, soya oil, sodium silico aluminate, fructo-oligosaccharides, taurine, borage oil, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, DL-methionine, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid.

What was Bella eating before she was switched to the Royal Canin?
You've got it! Before the Royal Canin Hypoallergenic HP 23 she was eating Royal Canin Persian30 formula, dry.
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_shade View Post
I'm guessing it's this food:

ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet® feline HYPOALLERGENIC HP™ 23 dry
Rice strangely enough starts with a GRAIN for a cat, soy protein isolate hydrolysate this is a chemically modified soy which may make it so the cats body would not regonize this KNOWN allergen, chicken fat, natural flavors can have stuff like MSG in it , powdered celluloseCAN be ANY starchy plant but often wheat , dried beet pulp (sugar removed) allergen in processing not the item itself, monocalcium phosphate, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, soya oil, sodium silico aluminate, fructo-oligosaccharides, taurine, borage oil, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, DL-methionine, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid.

What was Bella eating before she was switched to the Royal Canin?
I love HYPO with almost the amount of allergens as a simple OTC formula

On this how is BELLA >??
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
It's only been a week so I'm not quite sure yet. She seems to have less scabbing on her body. My only problem with this food is that it is SO expensive! $37 for 6 lb!
post #12 of 18
Will she eat wet food? by nature and evo make 95% meat (evo has single protien source) and no grain wet foods...you could try one of the odd ones...duck, rabbit, vennison and see if she has a reaction or not. I buy the dog 13oz cans which are cheaper (same formula as the cat cans).

Art
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
Will she eat wet food? by nature and evo make 95% meat (evo has single protien source) and no grain wet foods...you could try one of the odd ones...duck, rabbit, vennison and see if she has a reaction or not. I buy the dog 13oz cans which are cheaper (same formula as the cat cans).

Art
She will eat wet food. I just didn't want that to be all she would eat but I may have to go to that. I have one cat that won't eat wet (2 that will) so I have to keep some dry and I'm afraid she'll eat it and get sick again. Maybe if I fed Peaches and Bella wet and kept the dry hypoallergenic around it wouldn't be so bad because Peaches and Bella wouldn't be eating as much of it. $37 a 6 lb bag wouldn't be bad if I only had one cat!

Just a side note. I emailed Evo about a year ago and asked them if they cat and dog formula were the same. They told me no. There is a couple things added in the cat. I think Taurine and something else.
post #14 of 18
Since the food you are using has chicken fat and rice in it maybe California Natural Chicken and Rice would work. It doesn't have much else in it but those two ingredients and necessary supplements. I started feeding because one of my cats has a sensitive digestive system. I pay $17 for a 5 pound bag. Still not cheap but cheaper than the RC prescription food. They also make a canned chicken and rice but my two pretty much refuse wet food. I think I have tried all the decent quality ones and the most they will eat is a couple of bites. Sometimes they just smell it and walk away.
post #15 of 18
Hmm... that's odd...I emailed them and they said that they are the same... that they put enough taurine in the dog formula that it would be ok for cats... The ingredients lists looked the same (and the analysis) the last time I checked. I'll check out the back of my beef cans and check it against the cat formula ingredients listed online.

As the denise mentioned, the chicken & rice cal natural might work for you. I fed it for a while and all of my cats seemed to like it.

Art
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
Hmm... that's odd...I emailed them and they said that they are the same... that they put enough taurine in the dog formula that it would be ok for cats... The ingredients lists looked the same (and the analysis) the last time I checked. I'll check out the back of my beef cans and check it against the cat formula ingredients listed online.

As the denise mentioned, the chicken & rice cal natural might work for you. I fed it for a while and all of my cats seemed to like it.

Art
That is strange. I may still have the email. I'm just curious now as to which is the correct answer!
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Ok so I got Bella some California Natural Venison and brown rice formula.

Venison
Salmon broth
Whitefish
Herring
Brown Rice
Natural Flavor
Whole Egg
Flaxseed

And then all the other supplements. I just gave her some and she seems to love it. How long should I give her before expecting her health to be better?
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u View Post
Ok so I got Bella some California Natural Venison and brown rice formula.

Venison
Salmon broth
Whitefish
Herring
Brown Rice
Natural Flavor
Whole Egg
Flaxseed

And then all the other supplements. I just gave her some and she seems to love it. How long should I give her before expecting her health to be better?
solid poop within 2-5 days
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Hypoallergenic foods