cat disturbing my sleep

jeffreyli7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats have been going crazy for a while now
Recently my fiance moved into my apartment
before her moving in she stays over occasionally but not for long, usually only 1 or 2 days.
But after the moved in the cats have been going crazy she's sick of having the cats dashing in and out of my room at 7 am
Now, she's really pissed off and said that if I don't solve the problem or get rid of the cats she's going to break up with me.
I've tried closing the door, but the cat just keeps scratching it's like he's trying to dig a freaking hole in my door!!
and I have actually considered about giving the cats up...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a hint.

Dump her. She doesn't like it that she can't control the cats; she won't like it if she can't control you.

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Get rid of her,sounds like to me all she is worried about is ME ME ME ME ME

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeffreyli7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know I have a responsibility over my cats, to provide and look after them..
But I don't think I can simply say "lets break up" to her, if I have considered to make her my wife, that's just as ridiculous

I have to admit it is VERY ANNOYING... even before she raised the issue

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jeffreyli7

My cats have been going crazy for a while now
Recently my fiance moved into my apartment
before her moving in she stays over occasionally but not for long, usually only 1 or 2 days.
But after the moved in the cats have been going crazy she's sick of having the cats dashing in and out of my room at 7 am
Now, she's really pissed off and said that if I don't solve the problem or get rid of the cats she's going to break up with me.
I've tried closing the door, but the cat just keeps scratching it's like he's trying to dig a freaking hole in my door!!
and I have actually considered about giving the cats up...
I don't like ultimatums,
that is not fair to you or your cats.
Your cats were there first, she is the intruder. They and you and her need to find a routine to the day and learn to deal with eachother, getting pissed off and threatning to break up with you is not the way to go with this. If she won't be a part of the solution, she is part of the problem (sorry for being cliche)
So the cats wake up at 7am and tool around, guess what, it is what they do!
Is 7 so early she cant deal with it? What is her work schedule, if she works nights I can see being a little annoyed at being woken up.

jeffreyli7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not only do they run around at 7am, they run around when we sleep....
is there anything I can do to change their behaviour?

jeffreyli7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just thought of, maybe I can put them inside my bathroom during bed time so they learn to sleep at that time of the day and when we wake up we let them out???

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Play with them hard before you go to bed to tire them out. Teach yourself and your fiancee to ignore them completely if they disturb you overnight. If you give into them, they'll just continue doing what they are doing. And if this behavior started to happen once your fiancee moved in, they are still adjusting to her presence and things should settle down to their old routine.

I married a man who didn't like cats and made demands of me that forced me to change how I cared for them and did demand that I rehome one of my cats. The marriage lasted 2 years and I would have given anything to get my cat back. The "do this or else" with the cats was just a symptom of bigger problems with our relationship. My current husband of 20 years also didn't like cats at first, but he and I worked out a compromise and there are no ultimatums in our marriage. Just think about this long and hard and figure out if this is just the tip of the iceberg.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not only do they run around at 7am, they run around when we sleep....
is there anything I can do to change their behaviour?
If by sleep.... you mean sex, close the door. Everyone needs their private time. The cats will scratch at the door, "What is the world is going on in there???" LOL. Ignore it, and continue on.
If you keep giving the cats, and your girlfriend, positive reinforcement on all their bad behavior, nothing will work out.

jeffreyli7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it cannot be ignored, they smash the door open so loud i could hear it from outside the apartment
maybe i'll shut my door when i sleep and try to ignore them...

jeffreyli7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol i actually meant sleep
they would run in and out of the room at 1am... it's very very annoying
she's so pissed off she's off to her sister's place to sleep tonight...
i'll shut the door and sleep so i'll get all the scratching on the door myself...

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lol i actually meant sleep
they would run in and out of the room at 1am... it's very very annoying
she's so pissed off she's off to her sister's place to sleep tonight...
i'll shut the door and sleep so i'll get all the scratching on the door myself...
I hate to judge other people based on just a message board, but it sounds to me like there are other issues going on here, and it is not the cats. Sorry for going all Dr Phil here, but there seems to be something wrong. No one leaves because cats run through the room.

jeffreyli7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok i think it's not detailed enough on what they do when they run in the room
they'll jump onto my chair then onto my desk
knock things over and a few times they have knocked over my glass of water
they'll jump OVER my face to reach to the end of the bed and start scratching it and digging into it

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

ok i think it's not detailed enough on what they do when they run in the room
they'll jump onto my chair then onto my desk
knock things over and a few times they have knocked over my glass of water
they'll jump OVER my face to reach to the end of the bed and start scratching it and digging into it
Do you have a cat tree or a scratching post to divert them? In front of a window, it is cat TV. Also lots of spots to jump and play without disrupting the house.

jeffreyli7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have 3 scratching posts for them, 2 small ones, and 1 big ass one which is like 5 small scratching posts-in-one
and oh, to try and give you an idea how he jumps over my face
my desk is at the corner, and my bed is in the other corner of the same wall.
because it's too long my bed doesnt fit beside my desk so the right hand side corner of my desk connects to the top left of my bed
so there's a gap behind my head where the bed should be... if things fit perfectly
my cat would then decide to smash my door open, run inside and jump over my face at where the corners of the bed and desk meet and land inside that gap

sammyp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sounds serious!

I agree with the idea of playing with them before bedtime. Tucker them out and you'll get a more peaceful night's sleep! On the topic of them keeping you awake in general though, well, they're cats! My boyfriend and I have long accepted that our kitty cat is in and out the bed all night, snuggles right between us (the warmest place!) and regularly wakes me by chewing my hair whilst purring loudly in my ear! If your gf can't deal with these things and you really love animals, well, you have to wonder what other restrictions are going to crop up in your relationship later?

Asking someone to 'get rid' of their pets or else is selfish and cruel. explain to her how you feel about your animals and see what she says. It may just be an eye opener.

jeffreyli7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
this sucks... hahaha
thanks for all the advice
i dont know why, but they're both being very quiet since my gf and I had the argument and after i sent her off to her sister's place
maybe they feel that im not very happy about something... i want to let them in and sleep with me... but maybe i should shut my door tonight and sleep and they can annoy my brother!! since they rarely go in at night! =D

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

this sucks... hahaha
thanks for all the advice
i dont know why, but they're both being very quiet since my gf and I had the argument and after i sent her off to her sister's place
maybe they feel that im not very happy about something... i want to let them in and sleep with me... but maybe i should shut my door tonight and sleep and they can annoy my brother!! since they rarely go in at night! =D
Gotta say Jeff not really liking your atitude here either. I am leaving the thread before I yell at you.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

But I don't think I can simply say "lets break up" to her, if I have considered to make her my wife
WOW, why is it ridiculous for you to say "lets break up" but its not ridiculous for her to say it to you?
Thats sweet of you to realize it is ridiculous but unfortunately, she doesnt feel the same way about you.

You know in life, not everything is perfect, but you make compromises and come up with solutions for many many situations. And not all of them are the solutions that you wish they were. But for someone to demand that you get rid of anything that you love because they dont like it, as the solution, you need to look at very carefully.

Yor cats being calm now that shes gone, should tell you something. Animals are intuiative.