1 cat out of 7 that is scared of me?!

raiden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

Over the years we have taken in a few stray cats, one had kittens and we have since had our cats grow to 7!

Anyway, two of these cats are naturally quite wary and will not usually let you stroke them without putting their heads and ears down to pull away, they are a mother and kitten pair and have been like that since I can remember with everyone but they aren't scared, one is the friendliest and most stupid cat you would care to meet, he is so loving and adorable, the others are the same, very friendly and always looking to headbutt you and rub against you, HOWEVER one of the cats is odd with only me.

We have 4 people in the house, and the eldest male cat is deathly afraid of me in particular, he is a huge shaggy haired tom cat as is the friendly stupid one but it is only me he is scared of.

I will get within 6 feet of him and his head and ears will droop, his whole body will crouch down and he will run away like his life depends on it.

Now, him and the stupid one are brothers though slightly older, and he is only like this with me, he is as loving as our cuddly stupid cat but only with my sister and as far as i can tell I have treated all of our cats the same and we have had rather a lot over the years, none of them were scared of me.

Someone suggested it was because he is the alpha male in the house and hasn't been fixed where as the other two males have, though he isn't as scared of anyone else, though still not too loving he doesn't run away from them.

Thoughts? It may be too late to change things now as he is a few years old, although I can remember one rare occasion I was stroking another cat, and he came up to me, and was as loving as he is to my sister, led down beside me and everything, the next day or even later that day he was back to running scared.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is maybe your smell is different. A perfume or soap might be disturbing him in some way.

Also, if you approach him from above, he may sense you are a predator. Try getting down to his level. If he has feral roots, you can blink when you look at him. That translates into a warm smile for ferals. Don't look him directly in the ye - that's taken as a challenge.

Finally, if he's not a pedigree - GET HIM FIXED. Sorry about the shouting but this is very important!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ondine

Finally, if he's not a pedigree - GET HIM FIXED. Sorry about the shouting but this is very important!
That was my first thought. An unneutered male is going to have some behavioral traits that fixed cats don't have, and one of those behaviors can be wariness of humans.

I have cats that run from my husband. I suspect its from the fact that my husband walks a lot heavier than I do and is more loud in general. When he sits calmly, those cats will come up to him.