Shin splints!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arrrrggg!
I have been on my clinicals for CNA for 4 days now, and have gotten shin splints from walking the unforgiving hardwood floor on the hospital ward! (beautiful, but not feet and leg friendly)
It is my left leg, and it hurts like the dickens. Swollen a bit, and painful to touch. I have it wrapped 24/7
I have been doing RICE when I come home, with some Ibuprofen thrown in, but aside form completly staying off it, which I can't do, any suggestions to help this?

ETA: RICE is rest, ice, compression and elevation.
Should I be doing heat now that it is days into this?
I don't want to ask the nurses, I dont want to be the injured one, like a wounded gazell, they will pick me out of the herd, lol. (we are a group of 8 who for the first time ever have been allowed onto the cardiac ward)

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just completed my NA training week on the wards too, and to say the least, after two 12 hour shifts and one 6 hour shift I ache like crazy!

My lower back hurts, and I find walking painful as my calf muscle and knee on my right leg seem to be throbbing all the time.
I guess I'm not used to the busy ward life just yet, but I will get there sometime soon.

Doing RICE like you are for your pains should do the trick, I also suggest a hot bath and let yourself relax. I tried that last night and felt better, I managed to sleep. Maybe see what that could do for you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeDeeMay

I have just completed my NA training week on the wards too, and to say the least, after two 12 hour shifts and one 6 hour shift I ache like crazy!

My lower back hurts, and I find walking painful as my calf muscle and knee on my right leg seem to be throbbing all the time.
I guess I'm not used to the busy ward life just yet, but I will get there sometime soon.

Doing RICE like you are for your pains should do the trick, I also suggest a hot bath and let yourself relax. I tried that last night and felt better, I managed to sleep. Maybe see what that could do for you?
WOW! you did 12 hour shifts on training?? Jeeze, I would have been a crumpled up ball of mess on the floor, lol. I am quite ready to go home after my little 6 hour shifts!
I love the busyness of the ward though, and will be sad to leave it when the clinicals are over.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be grateful when next week arrives and I can pick the shifts that I want to work..being on the staff 'bank' comes in handy.
I don't always have to work the long days, but sometimes they can be so worthwhile and spending time with the patients all day has it's advantages, they get used to you so quickly which I think is great.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rest, ice and stretching are the best remedies for shin splints.

You also need to look into getting a better pair of shoes. I wear track shoes with a thick sole. Also look into getting orthotics for your shoes. Those will make a huge difference. Until I got orthotics for both of my feet this past December, I didn't know that you could be free of foot and leg pain after running around all day on concrete floors.

Check out this link. It covers some exercises for you to do

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/t...g-shin-splints

A good way to remember whether to ice or apply heat.....

Ice for "Acute" (sudden onset) injuries.

Warmth for "Chronic" conditions such as arthritis.

A shin splint or sprained ankle are not "chronic" so you should always apply ice, never heat. Heat will just bring more blood to the area and increase the inflammation and increase the pain. Cold on the other hand will still get blood to the area, but it will decrease the inflammation and help ease the pain.

Also, take an anti-inflammatory such as Ibuprofen (Aleve or Motrin contain Ibuprofen). Plus take Tylenol Plain with it. The combination of the 2 medications will help the pain. Tylenol doesn't treat the pain. It basically just tricks your brain into thinking that you have no pain. Ibuprofen will actually treat the source of the pain IE: inflammation. So between decreasing the inflammation and your brain thinking you aren't having pain, your body will be a happy camper

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Rest, ice and stretching are the best remedies for shin splints.

You also need to look into getting a better pair of shoes. I wear track shoes with a thick sole. Also look into getting orthotics for your shoes. Those will make a huge difference. Until I got orthotics for both of my feet this past December, I didn't know that you could be free of foot and leg pain after running around all day on concrete floors.

Check out this link. It covers some exercises for you to do

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/t...g-shin-splints

A good way to remember whether to ice or apply heat.....

Ice for "Acute" (sudden onset) injuries.

Warmth for "Chronic" conditions such as arthritis.

A shin splint or sprained ankle are not "chronic" so you should always apply ice, never heat. Heat will just bring more blood to the area and increase the inflammation and increase the pain. Cold on the other hand will still get blood to the area, but it will decrease the inflammation and help ease the pain.

Also, take an anti-inflammatory such as Ibuprofen (Aleve or Motrin contain Ibuprofen). Plus take Tylenol Plain with it. The combination of the 2 medications will help the pain. Tylenol doesn't treat the pain. It basically just tricks your brain into thinking that you have no pain. Ibuprofen will actually treat the source of the pain IE: inflammation. So between decreasing the inflammation and your brain thinking you aren't having pain, your body will be a happy camper
I have orthotics in my shoes, I have high arches. They are the Dr.***** brand though, can't afford to go get them custom fit. My shoes are a brand that is designed for people on their feet all day.
Been doing the Ibuprofen, every 4 hours, but I don't want to keep that up and blow out my kidneys.
I think part of the problem is I still have the broken toe on my right foot. Though not as painful as it was, I think I am favoring my left, which has now done this to me in the form of shin splints.
Grrrrrr. If it aint somethin its the other!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

I have orthotics in my shoes, I have high arches. They are the Dr.***** brand though, can't afford to go get them custom fit.
Unfortunately those aren't really "orthotics". You really need a pair custom made for your foot in order to correct and balance out your foot's position when walking.

Do the ice and stretching. And when you are off work, try and rest up as much as possible and just do the ice and stretches and avoid walking on the leg.

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
God,I feel for you! I used to get those when I was young and slim and did med. to long distance running(for personal reasons).They h u r t ssoooooo bad! Not sure what to do for them. I wish you the best though.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While at work I am on my feet constantly for a bit over 6 hours. I have two good pairs of walking shoes that I alternate wearing. One shouldn't wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row as the insole won't have a chance to recover.