My Manx drinks water non-stop...that ok?

pcovili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 2 year old Manx that is fascinated by water as it seems most Manx are. Whenever my wife or I shower, our cat insists on sitting on the edge of the tub, and soon as we are done, will get in and suckle the faucet, lick the curtains, etc. if you run the water in the bathroom sink, she will run from whatever corner in the house, jump into the sink, and suckle the faucet. and when she does, she drinks a LOT of water. and this happens any time of day we are around the bathroom. we leave a bowl of water out for her at all times, fresh twice a day, so she's not lacking. she's been to the vet in the last year and had all the usual tests done so we don't have any major concerns but...i've had cats all my life and never seen one that drinks as much water as she does, any time of day. it has me a little concerned that maybe something is wrong with her. she doesn't have any bathroom issues, and pees as much as any normal cat i would guess...

maybe we are just being paranoid and maybe its just part of this chaotic insane little manx's nature, but i want to know she is okay too...any ideas?

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My boy Charlie loves water you'll often see him through the day laying on the water bowl almost asleep while drinking his water. He almost hugs his water bowl. He also has a clean bill of health. He just loves his water, especially when its nice and cool. Some cats just love water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pcovili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
good to know! i guess the other question i had is about how large (or small) they can get? i know manx can take longer to reach full size, and perhaps full size is variable...for 2 years old, she looks completely healthy, gets lots of exercise and food, but is probably only 3-4 lbs tops. she's just a tiny little bugger full of personality. coos and chirps all the time, plays fetch, follows me around, LOVES our shetland sheepdog like they're sisters...

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isn't that sweet!!.

Originally Posted by aswient
My kids love their water as well. They sit by the kitchen tap waiting for it to be turned on even though they have plenty. I usually put some ice cubes in as well because that seems to encourage them to drink

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Isn't that sweet!!.

My kids love their water as well. They sit by the kitchen tap waiting for it to be turned on even though they have plenty. I usually put some ice cubes in as well because that seems to encourage them to drink
Thanks it is so sweet to watch. I never saw a cat that enjoys his water so much.

pcovili

I also have a cat, not Manx thats very tiny, she looks like a kitten, but healthy. Like people cats come in all shapes and sizes.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a lot of kitties love to do this, but please be cautious if you see an increase in the water intaken in general. I have a 5 yr old girl who was not overweight etc and we found out she was diabetic

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Diabetes is the only concern I can think of for excessive drinking. It may just be that your cat enjoys the water in the shower. We had to start shutting our bathroom door because Daisy was constantly drinking out of the tub. (I hated to spoil her fun, but we were afraid she ingest soap, shampoo or cleaning product residual in the drain.) She loves water and doesn't even mind if her tail dips in while someone is in the tub. My sil's cat Lil' Bit only drinks his water from a dripping faucet. They have to leave the guest bathroom door open and the faucet dripping at all times.

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a good idea to have a diabetic test done, as people are saying. Her love of water just might be high on her list!! But by getting the test done at her young age.....you will have a baseline to use as she gets older. Hopefully, and chances are, she is not diabetic, but at least you can rest your mind that she's just being a 'water baby'...

My Phoebe is 13 yrs, not diabetic, and drinks alot too. She likes to lay beside her water bowl and practically hug it as well. She pees alot, too.

One of my 1-yr old's drinks the average amount of water, and the other fellow..hardly ever drinks water. They are all different.