Panacur for cats

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought this was ok to use in cats, but apparently not ok'd by the FDA. What gives? I see by searching this site that some vets do use it and it is safe for pregnant animals.

I am bringing this up b/c of the soft stool issue going on with my fosters right now. See all the threads regarding Archie.

Someone here suggested Panacur but the rescue director said the vet won't give it to her for cats.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had no idea that it could be used on cats I have some here at the house, I just got done worming my box turtles with it.

Leslie

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can, do a Google search for fenbendazole (Panacur's generic name) for cats. That should help you find our more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did do some searching - it does get used though it is not FDA approved for cats. So I would interpret that to mean some vets do and some vets don't.

Has anyone here used it on their cats for giardia? I am trying to be prepared. Our rescue director is getting Albon for the cats who have been using the same litter box set up as the cat I suspect has the initial problem.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Off label use for many first line treatments in cats and dog is VERY common. I sent this already in a PM to AddieBee, however wanted to post it here in case others run into the same issues

Updated information 2009 From the Companion Animal Paracite council
http://www.capcvet.org/recommendations/giardia.html

"
  • No drugs are approved for treatment of giardiasis in dogs and cats in the United States.
  • Metronidazole is the most commonly used extra-label therapy; however, efficacies as low as 50% to 60% are reported. Safety concerns also limit the use of metronidazole in dogs and cats."
The above article does go on to talk about using Fenbendazole as the drug of choice in cats.

article from 2000 http://www.critterchat.net/giardia_fands.htm

"There are several treatments for giardiasis; some of them have not been registered to treat giardiasis in dogs or cats. Metronidazole is one of these, but is the old standby. The nice thing about this drug is that it also kills some types of bacteria that could cause diarrhea. So if the diarrhea was caused by bacteria, and not Giardia, we still kill the cause of the diarrhea and eliminate the symptoms. Makes us look pretty sharp! Unfortunately, metronidazole has some drawbacks. It has been found to be only 60-70% effective in eliminating Giardia from infected dogs. In some cats and dogs it can cause vomiting, [size=-1]anorexia[/size] and some neurological signs. It also can be toxic to the liver in some animals. It is suspected of being a teratogen so it should not be used in pregnant animals. Finally, it has a very bitter taste and many animals resent taking it – especially cats."

From the Wisconsin Veterinary medicine school tutorial

http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/pbs/zoono...l/giardia.html

"Fenbendazole (e.g., PanacurÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] or Drontal-PlusÂ[emoji]174[/emoji]) now appears to be the drug of choice. Used in dogs and cats at 50 mg/kg for 3 (-5) days, fenbendazole has been shown to be completely effective in eliminating experimental Giardia infections, and with only mild vomiting/diarrhea as potential side effects."

From " The handbook of small animal gastroenterology" by Todd R Tams. editions 2 2003 chapter 7, page 215 http://books.google.com/books?id=2rR...esult&resnum=1

"Fenbendazole is now the preferred treatment for Giardia in cats. (Drontal Plus is approved for use only in dogs"

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I realise that being in the UK the approval issue might be different, however when Lily had some kind of upset tummy which was suspected giardia (even though the test came up negative) the vet recommended an intensive treatment with Panacur over a 5 day period as the next step up in her protocol for trying to cure Lily. We were happy with this as we had used Panacur (the Cat version) as her worming prevention treatment in any event. The breeder had recommended it as being gentle but effective.

Lily was completely cured of whatever was causing her tummy issue after the 5 day treatment - whatever the bug was had been going on for a couple of weeks getting progressively worse so I doubt very much that the cure was coincidence.

It's not a particularly technical answer but I can vouch for its effectiveness with Lily.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone. I have the info from KM and will use it if I need it. Right now, as I said, my director wants to start with Albon which she says doesn't taste too bad and is "dirt cheap."

Since the boys - except Ghost - are living communaly I have to give meds to everyone. I see both formed and really soft stool in there every day... I know Archie DEFINITELY has a problem, but since the other four have possibly been exposed, I have to implement a regimen.

Can anyone recommend a probiotic in case things get worse on the meds before they get better? I know antibiotics do a number on ME! I had Ghost on Clavamox for his infected neuter incision - which is all healed up BTW and the vet gave me forti-flora ( a Purina product) which worked really well.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Bene-Bac. Comes in a gel, packaged in a syringe tube. Easy to administer and it must taste good, because they don't fight it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

We use Bene-Bac. Comes in a gel, packaged in a syringe tube. Easy to administer and it must taste good, because they don't fight it.
Thanks, Nial. I know you can get little tubes of it for kittens on KMR - but where do I get enough for five adult cats? And not have it cost me a fortune.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Has anyone here used it on their cats for giardia? I am trying to be prepared. Our rescue director is getting Albon for the cats who have been using the same litter box set up as the cat I suspect has the initial problem.
AddieBee, I've used panacur for giardia in a foster kitten, and I've used Albon on Nova for her soft stool issue. The panacur worked OK for giardia, though I had to give two rounds of it because the fecal sample turned out a positive after the first round (though the symptoms were all gone). I didn't notice any side effects or adverse reactions from either medicine.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At the clinic where I work we use panacur pretty frequently for various parasites, especially in kittens. It's not too effective as a parasite treatment for cats, but used with a parasite treatment (pyrantel, ponazuril, metronidazle, etc.) it works really well to firm up diarrhea. Never seen any adverse reactions. Also, propectalin works well too (though not as easy to give!).

abbysdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, my cat was recently diagnosed with Giardia.  The vet gave me Panacur to give her for 5 consecutive days.  Not fun holding a cat while you squirt 2 cc's of chalky medicine down their throat, but she seems perfectly fine.  She is eating well, running and chasing toys when I throw them with all the energy she's ever had.  No problems whatsover.  Today was day 5 of the treatment.  Now my finger can finish healing, lol.  

treasur04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"Fenbendazole" (Safe Guard or Panacur) ... Correct dosage is safe for cats, but it is only effective for certain worms, and possibly 'giardia' ? It's not a general dewormer. And must be given every day for 3-5 days, or longer (depending on what you're treating)! :)

Last edited:

bbydede

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet just prescribed my 3 kittens Metronidazol. Is it ignorance that he didn't give us Panacur? How does he not know about Panacur after 20 years of practice? Pigeon holed?

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is not by ignorance the vet prescribed Metroconizole instead of a Panacur. Honestly, with personal use, I had better success with using Flagyl than the latter. Maybe he had his own reasons for choosing it. For one, Flagyl also treats all kinds of other bacteria in the digestive tract which could also be present as a first or secondary infection to the Giardia so the vet is killing 2 birds with one stone. I don't understand why so many people undermine the vets decision regarding Giardia and their treatment of choice when they choose the pill versus Fenbenzole. As a medical professional myself, you realize quickly that just because their is a "new" treatment available does not mean it is the most effective or the treatment may come with other side effects that could potentially aggravate the situation. Flagyl is very effective in humans for all kinds of GI tract bugs and I don't see it being any less effective in the cats. If I had a choice , I would choose Flagyl and mainly because like a said above that it also is effective against other bacteria which usually is there along with Giardia. I feel it has less of a diarrhea side effect than the Fenbenzole as well. That may have just been with my own unlucky personal experience. With that being said, if you are treating yourself first before going to vet (as I notice many do here on this site) if Flagyl is available to you go with it first for sure, as you cannot be sure of what exactly you are dealing with without a stool sample. If no success after a few days of it and/or condition is getting worse then take to the vet.