Pet sitter or vet tech?

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll be going to college sooner rather than later, and I decided long ago I wanted to work with animals. I ruled out vet because the local vet school is extremely hard to get into. I want to either be a pet sitter or a vet tech. In a semi-urban area, which career would have a higher salary, on average? TIA!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vet tech is more regular, stable work, so I would go for that over a pet sitter any day. Pet sitter you can make your own hours, but you may not always have work, especially in a bad economy.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Vet tech is more regular, stable work, so I would go for that over a pet sitter any day. Pet sitter you can make your own hours, but you may not always have work, especially in a bad economy.
I definitely agree! I used to own my own sitting business and the hours can be crazy (holidays, weekends & evenings), and it's a lot of wear and tear on your car. If you're working alone, you should really have to have a back up in case your car dies, or you become ill, etc. You should have insurance, which can be costly. Your profit will depend on the price of gas; if you have to travel a long distance you could end up making little or no money at all!
Go for the vet tech training.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depends on your area... Where I am vet techs with Years of experience may get 10$ an hour ( ie you can make more as a grocery cashier ) ... Pet sitters on the other hand charge 10-15$ a day for two visits up to two pets ... Here there are five very big and busy pet sitting services and not a rich population or a big big city( the whole two state like 15 counties have about 450000 people)

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I think Vet techs here make about $10 an hour too. I don't know how that increases if you get certified, some states require it, or specialize and become a surgury tech at a big specialty hospital. But many of the techs I know do side work as pet sitters too.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say vet tech for sure. Better hours, and you can always do a little private sitting too. People love having someone who is that qualified looking after their animals!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I would say vet tech for sure. Better hours, and you can always do a little private sitting too. People love having someone who is that qualified looking after their animals!
I think that the vet tech position might be more fulfilling as well... Regardless, as a vet tech you can do both, but as a pet sitter you can't

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was searching and the vet tech pay in my area isn't too bad compared to other people-maybe $14.00 an hour. I won't be rich, but if I'm thrifty I probably could afford an apartment and a two or three fur babies. I'll never get rich, but I'll be doing what I love.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

I was searching and the vet tech pay in my area isn't too bad compared to other people-maybe $14.00 an hour. I won't be rich, but if I'm thrifty I probably could afford an apartment and a two or three fur babies. I'll never get rich, but I'll be doing what I love.
And that is most definitely a wonderful thing!!

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've worked as a vet tech for the last two years. I have no formal training (not certified or registered). But around here, registered or not, with a year+ experience vet techs make from $8-$13 dollars an hour, depending on which clinic you work at. So, you're not looking at that big of a salary. But in the bigger cities, like Houston or Dallas, basically ones that have actual animal hospitals with various specialties, you're looking at more like $15-$20 dollars an hour if you're registered.

So money wise, you definitely could have a better field, but as far as the actual job, I absolutely love it. I couldn't picture myself doing anything else at this time. If you work for a good vet (which I do now, worked for a bad one though) that is willing to teach you and explain the why behind the what and how, it's amazingly rewarding. I feel like I learn something new everyday and really do make a difference in the patients' lives. I'm currently working on my pre reqs for vet school, so I feel the experience really will help me down the road.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Totally agree. I always hire my vet techs to do house sitting. It earns them a little bit of extra money, and they don't have to commit to doing it if they are busy right then. They know how to medicate, can look for signs if anyone is ill, and will get them to the vet if something goes wrong. And I know that they love animals otherwise they wouldn't be in that business.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both

Really, I see this as a question of self starter vs. working for someone else. There is A LOT that goes into your own business, and also a lot of opportunity. But the hours can be odd and benefits non existent. Only you can make that decision.