The kittens have a home, but I am not happy....

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was talking to a woman in the next neighborhood who helps place kitties in new homes and I think she is WONDERFUL for doing this! She has a friend who she thinks will help place the babies when it is time as well as get them fixed. Also, outstanding! BUT, she said her friend sometimes wants to take them in as young as 6 weeks old. I don't feel good about letting them go until at least 10 weeks...should I do it anyway just so I know they have a good chance of getting placed? Or stick to my guns and wait until they are 10+ weeks old? I really don't want to offend these ladies and I want the kittens to have good homes, but what would you do? Any advice is awesome advice.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would stick to your guns.

The kitties are still needing moms antibodies through nursing at 6wks old.

Even if at the bare minimum you could convince them to wait till 8wks, it would be better....

Good luck.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not fair to the kittens or new owners to get them at 6 weeks. Often behaviour problems arise from kittens taken too young.

I would wait until at least 10 weeks, better 12 before rehoming.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

if possible stick to your guns and make sure you've got frequently updated good pictures (videos, a cat diary) of the kitties so potential new owners can watch their development and look forwards to them while waiting for their new family addition

Find some good literature about socializing cats and print it out for the ladies and potential new owners. Write down things like:

*the kittens will be use to household noises and human handling (children? dogs?)

*100 % litter box trained

* will have learned emotional and motoric self contol while playing with their litter mates and the active education of their mother- so they should know not to play too rough and not to bite or nibble hands

*will learn at the age from 9 to 14 weeks how to interact with other cats, making them easy to integrate into a cat household.

* well socialized kittens will be non-fearfull, trusting and confident, more social and exploratory and are better able to handle stress.

*kittens seperated from their mither too early often show behavioural problems such as sucking on blankets, clothing, buttons, even earlobes or on themselves or will be fearfull of strangers.

http://www.breedlist.com/faq/young.html

regards,

christine

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If they were bottlefeeders, I'd say go for it, since any loving home would be the same for their purposes and they'd stand better chances of being adopted when they were younger. Since they have a mama cat, though, I'd say to keep them with her until she at least starts weaning them.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you try and adopt out yourself do you have a potential time limit on how long you can care for them--also just because you start looking at 6 weeks doesn't mean they find homes at 6 weeks.

I chose to start adopting out at 8 weeks for a couple of reasons, I had to keep my momma in an enclosure outside--once she started to wean the babies and starting going into heat again, my first priority had to become her not getting pregnant again--not letting her escape. So time was of the essence on getting her spayed, but still letting her babies reap the benefits of nursing. I also was beginning full time employment and the process of moving and knew I needed to do the best I could in the time I had. I kept one of the babies and she is doing great even being separated at 8 weeks. I would have loved to allow them longer but it doesn't always work that way. I have to do what is best for everyone involved. Caring for momma and her 5 babies definitely put stress on the rest of my household and I voluntarity took momma in out of the goodness of my heart to prevent her from having her babies on the street.

It is your call--if you think finding homes yourself will be harder, I think its worth the risk to start offering them at 6 weeks--perhaps to only homes with other cats, or only in pairs.

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

If you try and adopt out yourself do you have a potential time limit on how long you can care for them--also just because you start looking at 6 weeks doesn't mean they find homes at 6 weeks.

I chose to start adopting out at 8 weeks for a couple of reasons, I had to keep my momma in an enclosure outside--once she started to wean the babies and starting going into heat again, my first priority had to become her not getting pregnant again--not letting her escape. So time was of the essence on getting her spayed, but still letting her babies reap the benefits of nursing. I also was beginning full time employment and the process of moving and knew I needed to do the best I could in the time I had. I kept one of the babies and she is doing great even being separated at 8 weeks. I would have loved to allow them longer but it doesn't always work that way. I have to do what is best for everyone involved. Caring for momma and her 5 babies definitely put stress on the rest of my household and I voluntarity took momma in out of the goodness of my heart to prevent her from having her babies on the street.

It is your call--if you think finding homes yourself will be harder, I think its worth the risk to start offering them at 6 weeks--perhaps to only homes with other cats, or only in pairs.

Leslie
I think you misunderstood. They are going to this woman, not me finding them homes individually. I would almost bet that she will keep some of them herself. So really it is a matter of letting them go to her at 6 weeks or 10+

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

somanykitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

If they were bottlefeeders, I'd say go for it, since any loving home would be the same for their purposes and they'd stand better chances of being adopted when they were younger. Since they have a mama cat, though, I'd say to keep them with her until she at least starts weaning them.
No, they aren't bottle feeders. Getting quite fat off of mommy.