Haven adult cat food ???

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this brand? it's Haven Adult Cat formula. It says no corn, wheat, soy, or by-products. Seems like a definite step-up from the junk I got free that I'm feeding now. If this is a decent food, that would be great because it is very reasonably priced. I bought an 8 lb. bag for $10.99 on sale last night. I know it's probably not perfect, but hopefully it's better than Purina and stuff like that.

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Ground Oats, Ground Barley, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Tocopherols), Ground Beet Pulp, Fish Meal, Ground Flaxseeds, Natural Flavors, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract, Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this brand? it's Haven Adult Cat formula. It says no corn, wheat, soy, or by-products. Seems like a definite step-up from the junk I got free that I'm feeding now. If this is a decent food, that would be great because it is very reasonably priced. I bought an 8 lb. bag for $10.99 on sale last night. I know it's probably not perfect, but hopefully it's better than Purina and stuff like that.

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Ground Oats, Ground Barley, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Tocopherols), Ground Beet Pulp, Fish Meal, Ground Flaxseeds, Natural Flavors, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract, Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles.
decent to good.. grain heavy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

decent to good.. grain heavy
Decent to good... Does that mean it's better than average grocery store foods? Are grains OK? I'm trying find a food that will hopefully help Mia lose a bit of weight but not be too drastic, and trying to find out what is causing Pirate to possibly have allergies, so I figure the more junk that he is not eating, the better it may be (it's a long stretch, but I'm trying to be a "better mommy" in the nutrition department, but still not step out of my budget
).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

Decent to good... Does that mean it's better than average grocery store foods? Are grains OK? I'm trying find a food that will hopefully help Mia lose a bit of weight but not be too drastic, and trying to find out what is causing Pirate to possibly have allergies, so I figure the more junk that he is not eating, the better it may be (it's a long stretch, but I'm trying to be a "better mommy" in the nutrition department, but still not step out of my budget
).
Decent IMHO is low to mid grade premium( ie NOT usually a grocery food).. Good is a overall solid food...

IMHO and experience measure free feeding keeps weight in check ... ie my girls get 1/4 to 1/2 cup dry and their supplement food in the morning the boys get 1/2 to 3/4 and supplement food at that time... Evening the girls get 1/2 cup and the boy s get 3/4 to 1.5 cups and wet food

Grain is NOT needed ... cats are carnivores ie they need mainly meat... in a dry food grain often aids in making it more uti friendly and in a dry or wet to help bind the food ... ie like humans do not need fried foods they are fine in moderation.... I would try to get as much wet as possible

we all are striving for the best
But what works for one cat may not for another

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Decent IMHO is low to mid grade premium( ie NOT usually a grocery food).. Good is a overall solid food...

IMHO and experience measure free feeding keeps weight in check ... ie my girls get 1/4 to 1/2 cup dry and their supplement food in the morning the boys get 1/2 to 3/4 and supplement food at that time... Evening the girls get 1/2 cup and the boy s get 3/4 to 1.5 cups and wet food

Grain is NOT needed ... cats are carnivores ie they need mainly meat... in a dry food grain often aids in making it more uti friendly and in a dry or wet to help bind the food ... ie like humans do not need fried foods they are fine in moderation.... I would try to get as much wet as possible

we all are striving for the best
But what works for one cat may not for another
If she would eat wet, I'd be more than happy to give her wet. But she refuses it, unlike the other two. I've tried the free feeding, and they seemed to do ok on it, however I worry about the food staying fresh that way. I have one of those feeders that you fill with food, but like I said the freshness worries me. Maybe if I don't fill it all the way? just like 1/4 of the way and keep on adding more as they eat?