Mama Mia and I are butting heads...

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if any other cats out there do this: Mia likes to literally knock skulls with me! I've seen and heard of head-butting because they want to be scratched and to show affection, but she likes it even more when I lower my head to her and she can really smack her head against my forehead. She does it so hard that sometimes it actually hurts! And she's a teeny little girl! I know it's all out of love, but still. It's kinda weird, am I right?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! It's actually one of the most primal, physical cat behaviors. SHe is showing love and reassuring family bond!

By the way, I love her name, I have a Maia as well! Shes not a head butter, but loves kisses on her head! When I am lying down, she sometimes runs over, stands on my chest, and turns her head down as I kiss her forehead! Like a super girly head butt!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Awww! It's actually one of the most primal, physical cat behaviors. SHe is showing love and reassuring family bond!

By the way, I love her name, I have a Maia as well! Shes not a head butter, but loves kisses on her head! When I am lying down, she sometimes runs over, stands on my chest, and turns her head down as I kiss her forehead! Like a super girly head butt!
Yeah, when she does it, it reminds me of when I see lions on TV- they do the same thing. I think it's just weird that she does it so hard- it's like she likes the knocking of skulls! lol

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

Yeah, when she does it, it reminds me of when I see lions on TV- they do the same thing. I think it's just weird that she does it so hard- it's like she likes the knocking of skulls! lol
Perfect example! The big cats do this is a display of love and also looking for recognition, acceptance in their pride or from their moms. It's one of the biggest compliments you could ask for as a oversized, hairless mom!

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Perfect example! The big cats do this is a display of love and also looking for recognition, acceptance in their pride or from their moms. It's one of the biggest compliments you could ask for as a oversized, hairless mom!
Wow, do you make me sound sexy! Oversized and hairless, yup sounds just like me!

I always say that she was put on this Earth only to give love, cuz that's all she seems to do
! She even tries to do this to the other 2, and they just back away like "what the heck are ya doing, ya weirdo!"

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, do you make me sound sexy! Oversized and hairless, yup sounds just like me!

I always say that she was put on this Earth only to give love, cuz that's all she seems to do
! She even tries to do this to the other 2, and they just back away like "what the heck are ya doing, ya weirdo!"
You know I was saying oversize and hairless as compared to your kitty........Assuming she wasn't hairless. Did I just put my size 10 foot in my mouth?!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Max is a head-butter extraordinaire...Nial even warned me about that before I adopted him.

But I am most fortunate in that his most favorite place to bonk his head as hard as he possibly can is my bathroom wall when I'm sitting on the can.

I swear, one of these days there'll be a cat head-sized hole in that wall, just about 9 inches off the floor.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Molly is an OCD head-butter. If she bonks into your face & you ignore her, she'll bite ya.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky is my head butter - and she is loud too
... I LOVE IT!!!! Bugsy bites my hair and pulls it instead... He didn't get the process right

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Cinnie is my head butter, except she butts my mouth for kisses on her head and she makes me laugh and the more I laugh the faster she head butts my mouth.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

My Max is a head-butter extraordinaire...Nial even warned me about that before I adopted him.

But I am most fortunate in that his most favorite place to bonk his head as hard as he possibly can is my bathroom wall when I'm sitting on the can.

I swear, one of these days there'll be a cat head-sized hole in that wall, just about 9 inches off the floor.
OMG! Pirate does that too! If I'm on the toilet, he'll come up and push his head against the tile or tub, and if I scratch his booty, he starts to curl down. It's kinda weird, you'd have to see it.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OMG! Pirate does that too! If I'm on the toilet, he'll come up and push his head against the tile or tub, and if I scratch his booty, he starts to curl down. It's kinda weird, you'd have to see it.
Oh no, I know exactly what you mean, because I see it everyday - as if I can reach him on the floor to rub his belly while I'm busy!

Every time Max slams his head against the wall, I hear the loud sound and have to say, "BONK!"

brutey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I was wondering if any other cats out there do this: Mia likes to literally knock skulls with me! I've seen and heard of head-butting because they want to be scratched and to show affection, but she likes it even more when I lower my head to her and she can really smack her head against my forehead. She does it so hard that sometimes it actually hurts! And she's a teeny little girl! I know it's all out of love, but still. It's kinda weird, am I right?
My brother's cat looooves to do that, especially when he's (or I) am sleeping in bed! He's just very very affectionate, but it actually kind of hurts when he does it!