Bed Bugs?!

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I have this co-workers who always volunteers unwanted information. He announced top everyone today that his place is infested with bed bugs. He thinks it funny, even elaborating that he named a few of the big ones. My boss starts to freak out and asks me if she should call up to the main store to tell them or send the guy home. I said I didn't know, but what would be the point? He's been working here everyday and if he had them, they could already be here for all we know. She seemed to get upset about that comment, but whatever. She told I was blowing the situation out of proportion now. That kind of pissed me off as I had spent the past 2 hours listening to her freak out about it and ask for my advice.

I've never dealt with bed bugs before, so I have no idea if they can even be transferred from co-worker to co-worker. Anyone have any insight?

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can be transferred but not usually on clean cloths. So if the guys is fairly clean most likely it wouldn't be a problem.

They prefer bedding or dirty clothing that has dead skin cells on it, that is why they are drawn to beds because the mattresses are cover in dead skin cells.

I was actually watching a TV program about blood-sucking insects and bedbugs have started to make a big comeback in the last decade, most times they are picked up in hotels, they get into luggage because of the dirty cloths and then end up getting transported home with the guest....

Makes you think twice about staying in hotels doesn't it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

They can be transferred but not usually on clean cloths. So if the guys is fairly clean most likely it wouldn't be a problem.
... actually, his hygiene is usually rather questionable. It's gotten better over the years, but I would still consider it below average.

As soon as I got home I threw my clothes into the washing machine. All this worrying has got me paranoid and itchy.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bed bugs are transferable, and that is pretty idiotic and, well, what a jerk! Thank god he said something,but to joke about it? That's nothing to be proud of
. They will transfer in clothing, shoes, anything that is carried out of the home. The worse the infestation, the more chance of transferal. Some people are extremely allergic to Bed Bug bites, a friend of mine was hospitalized several times from this after moving into a new apartment that was infested. It's nothing to joke about! They multiply very fast and borrow into cracks and crevices which make it extremely difficult to kill them. If I was your boss, this guy would be suspended till he showed papers proving his home is Bed Bug free........but that's just me!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rianna

... actually, his hygiene is usually rather questionable. It's gotten better over the years, but I would still consider it below average.

As soon as I got home I threw my clothes into the washing machine. All this worrying has got me paranoid and itchy.
Well then yes there should be some concern. As cheylink said they are really hard to get rid of once they are in the home, even worse then fleas.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the daughter of a branch manager for Orkin Pest Control, I can say that article is very factual and that no home remedy is going to fix bed bugs. They are nasty and nothing fun to deal with. However, he has never brought them home, nor fleas!

Leslie