Yet another newbie

palsarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Just signed up at thecatsite. Not very experienced in forums in general, but Anne invited me after we talked about our cats on Twitter and thought I'd stop by.

I've had cats all my life. My parents had two (Ferdinand and Isabella) when I was born and they slept in my crib with me. Yes, I'm still alive!! They were both old and passed before I was able to form memories, so I only know they existed from stories and photos. When I was 4 or 5 we got sister kittens Pheobe and Chloe who we had for the next 16 and 18 years, respectively.

Now I'm all grown up, moved across the world, and mommy to my own baby kitty. I'm not sure where the appropriate place here for setting up a page for Fefe is and I'm not sure if Twitpic will work here, so for now I'm going to try to share these photos and keep you in suspense!

http://twitpic.com/photos/trnsplantdtopal

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Good to see you here, Sarah! Welcome to TCS!

Fefe is beautiful! I'd love to know more about her - was she also transplanted to Palestine, or is she a local? My Mishmish is also a torbie, who knows, they may be related?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

palsarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the warm welcome, Anne.

She is local. A friend found her and her (orange and white tabby) brother in one night in a Ramallah rain storm in late Novemeber '07. We were thinking about getting a cat since I was new to Palestine/Ramallah and was missing my family and pets back home. The moment I saw her, I knew she was the cat I wanted. She was tiny, much smaller than her brother, but healthy and affectionate. Some other friends took in her brother and coincidentally named him Filfil (pepper in Arabic). We took her home and she was immediately comfortable and happy.

She once went on a "field trip" to get spayed in Jerusalem.
She will be transplanted to America when we leave in about a year, maybe she'll want to blog about it! Haha.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

Please feel as you home here, we can learn so much and deep about out kittys in this marvelous site, I just only please ask you read the rules and other stuffs that can help you to feel as you Real home!..
here you have the link my friend.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82565

Please ask whatever you need to know, there are plenty of good members and of course our tireness Mod´s to help us here!....

See you on the forums!, Glad that you join us!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Oh, I didn't know you were going back to the US in a year. Lots of people travel with their cats to the US from Israel, so hopefully it won't be too difficult from Ramallah.

Curious here, how long does it take to travel from Ramallah to Jerusalem? Didn't you have trouble moving a cat carrier across? I bet the soldiers were surprised
I wonder why you couldn't get her spayed in Ramallah though?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very cool. Salaam Aleikum! I am taking a flying leap guess to say that you're Muslim if you are in Ramallah and of Palestinian descent even if you are from the States. I live in the Detroit, Mich, area and we have a huge Arab Muslim and Christian, as well as Chaldean (Iraqi Christian) population here. And a growing Pakistani pop., too.

I know we have at least one other Muslim member here - lives in Minnesota, I believe.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your furfamily to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS!
I just looked at your little cutie on Twitter (and also just followed you).

How cool that you are living in Palestine.

Let us know if you have any questions navigating around the forum.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi Sarah and Fefe,

I am glad that you and your sweetie pie found us.

Welcome to our community of caring people who love cats.
Please make yourself at home.

palsarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

Oh, I didn't know you were going back to the US in a year. Lots of people travel with their cats to the US from Israel, so hopefully it won't be too difficult from Ramallah.
Yeah, we're both heading off to grad school next summer. I'm planning to fly with her from Tel Aviv and meet my husband somewhere in Europe to fly to the states together (he has to fly from Amman). There are lots of papers to get, but there's a vet in Ramallah who does it.

Originally Posted by Anne

Curious here, how long does it take to travel from Ramallah to Jerusalem? Didn't you have trouble moving a cat carrier across? I bet the soldiers were surprised
I wonder why you couldn't get her spayed in Ramallah though?
Travelling from Ramallah to Jerusalem takes between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours depending on traffic and the checkpoint. Used to be that certain people (old, pregnant, foreign) could stay on the bus, but now everyone needs to get off and walk through metal detectors/show IDs/get bags searched, etc.

However, when I took Fefe there, I went in a private car through the "settler" checkpoint so we got in without the soldiers noticing her.

We found out later that there is a vet in Ramallah who does spay cats, but we didn't know about it at the time. We get her shots done here, now, though, and the guy in Ramallah has all the US immigration documents she needs, too!

Talk to you soon.

palsarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Very cool. Salaam Aleikum! I am taking a flying leap guess to say that you're Muslim if you are in Ramallah and of Palestinian descent even if you are from the States. I live in the Detroit, Mich, area and we have a huge Arab Muslim and Christian, as well as Chaldean (Iraqi Christian) population here. And a growing Pakistani pop., too.

I know we have at least one other Muslim member here - lives in Minnesota, I believe.
Wa aleikum salaam! Hala! I'm actually neither Muslim (except on paper) or Palestinian, though!
My husband is both and I live in Palestine with him. I actually grew up in Minnesota, so HI to anyone else from there. We have friends in Detroit/Deerborne, mostly Palestinians!

Thanks for the welcome, see you around!

palsarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Hello and welcome to TCS!
I just looked at your little cutie on Twitter (and also just followed you).

How cool that you are living in Palestine.

Let us know if you have any questions navigating around the forum.
Thanks for the follow. Followed you back this morning. See you around here and there.

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by such a warm welcome, thanks to everyone who said hi! I didn't know you all were so active, it's great! Can't wait to learn about all your kitties and see you around here.

For now, take care.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there!! Welcome to the Forum, from all the way on the other side of the globe! Fefe is gorgeous - I hope you both have a lot of fun here; there islots to learn, share, and many friends to be made!!