Kitten losing fur around his mouth and chin

kittybama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten about 6 weeks old who I've just discovered has lost the hair around his mouth and under his chin. He was just at the vet for his shots and a checkup and they didnt notice, because it looked like he just had food on his face. He is on Albon for coccidia, and I was wondering if that could have caused the baldness. Any ideas? I can take him back to the vet tomorrow, but I want to know how urgent it us and if I should keep him away from my other kitten.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had a foster that this happened too. His was ringworm.
One day fine, he had just started eating food from the dish and not taking a bottle so was a messy little guy and had lots of face washings. Next day ringworm.

Most definitely take kitten to the vet tomorrow so you can start treatment IF it is ringworm, In the mean time keep him isolated tonight. If he has already had contact with your other kitty you might want to get him/her treated as well.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it turns out to be ringworm, athlete's foot cream for humans has the same active ingredient, is cheaper, and cleared up my Panther's case pretty quick (and she had it bad, like big patches of it all over her).

ETA: And you'll end up needing the human stuff anyway because the kitten will give it to you.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

If it turns out to be ringworm, athlete's foot cream for humans has the same active ingredient, is cheaper, and cleared up my Panther's case pretty quick (and she had it bad, like big patches of it all over her).

ETA: And you'll end up needing the human stuff anyway because the kitten will give it to you.
No matter what you do, ask your vet first - yes, some human anti-fungus meds are good, but you should ask your vet which ones... It could be ringworm, but it also could be acne...
ETA: I forgot: Lucky had ringworm, and I never caught it - it depends on your immune system.