Dry Food

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have 3 male cats, one is a diabetic on special food, one has crystals and is also on a special food. My 3rd cat is 5 years, no problems (knock wood) and will only eat DRY food. He hates all wet food and will try to cover it up if he gets near it.

I'm trying to find the best store bought dry cat food for my non-health problem boy. I want something with low magnesium, etc. but all around health benefits. Please help.

Thank you.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
do you want grain free , something with a little grain , by store do you mean grocery??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stores like Petco or Petsmart. Grain free would be good also.

Thank you.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UTI certified formulas : FYI ingredients are not the greatest but they have been tested and proven to aid in uti health: pro plan and Purina one urinary ... max cat adult and light

how much are you willing to spend a month

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

UTI certified formulas : FYI ingredients are not the greatest but they have been tested and proven to aid in uti health: pro plan and Purina one urinary ... max cat adult and light

how much are you willing to spend a month
Price is no problem. I already spend a fortune on prescription diets for my other 2.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
petco has wellness which for some works quite well( core is their grain free).. Nutro and Natural balence make mid line formulas which are good... blue spa is not a fav of mine as it is grainy even the high protein has a grain

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharper16

Stores like Petco or Petsmart. Grain free would be good also.

Thank you.
Taste of the Wild brand is grain free and often found at the feed and seed co-op type stores.

Some of the high end small pet groomers/hotels carry this brand along with other grain free dry and canned foods. (Nature's Variety, Solid Gold Indigo, Wellness Core)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up to you, but you can use the Urinary dry food to feed all the cats. Only Charlie had a UTI, but all 3 of mine eat the RC for Urinary with no problems.

enik

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently learned that Healthy Weight by Wellness is grain-free. I can be given to reduce weight or to maintain weight (the directions are on the bag)
I've been giving to my cat for three days, and he likes it. I am trying to help him lose a few pounds. Pet Co sells this.
I had been feeding him Indoor Cat - Wellness brand. Now that I've been reading the posts on this site, I've learned that it's best to feed canned food, so I am mainly feeding Snowy canned but leave some dry out because he misses having it available.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enik

I recently learned that Healthy Weight by Wellness is grain-free. I can be given to reduce weight or to maintain weight (the directions are on the bag)
I've been giving to my cat for three days, and he likes it. I am trying to help him lose a few pounds. Pet Co sells this.
I had been feeding him Indoor Cat - Wellness brand. Now that I've been reading the posts on this site, I've learned that it's best to feed canned food, so I am mainly feeding Snowy canned but leave some dry out because he misses having it available.
ONLY CORE which in the dog has a wt control is grain free... I know they were coming along with a wt control for cats in the core line...

enik

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be Core. I didn't look at the smaller print. I just know that the name on the bag is "Healthy Weight". Is it new?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It could be Core. I didn't look at the smaller print. I just know that the name on the bag is "Healthy Weight". Is it new?
GOING OFF topic a touch

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_w...hy_weight.html

Is this it?? if so it contains alot of grain per the site

Product Ingredients | Ingredient Index | Vitamins/Minerals

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Rice, Ground Barley, Ground Rice, Whitefish Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Chicken liver, Oat Fiber, Cranberries, Olive Oil, Chicory Root Extract, Cranberry Extract Powder, Cranberry Fiber, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, l-Carnitine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Taurine, Rosemary Extract.

This is a naturally preserved product.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein \tNot Less Than \t30.0%
Crude Fat \t
Not Less Than
\t
8.0%
Crude Fiber \t
Not More Than
\t
4.0%
Moisture \t
Not More Than
\t
11.0%
Ash \t
Not More Than
\t
6.5%
Magnesium \t
Not More Than
\t
0.098%
Vitamin E \tNot Less Than \t300 IU/kg
Taurine \t
Not Less Than
\t
0.2%
L-Carnitine* \tNot Less Than \t150 mg/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acid* \t
Not Less Than
\t
2.75%
Omega 3 Fatty Acid* \t
Not Less Than
\t0.50%
Glucosamine Hydrochloride* \tNot Less Than \t400 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate* \tNot Less Than \t300 mg/kg
Total Micro-Organisms* \tNot Less Than \t80,000,000 CFU/lb

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles.

View Feeding Directions
Product Guarantee

100% Complete and Balanced Nutrition for Your Adult Cat

Wellness Healthy Weight Adult Cat Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for maintenance.

enik

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The bag I bought sqys "natural food for Adult Cats with added vitamins, minerals and taurine. Calorie control: 11% less calories than Wellness Complete Health adult formulas. " No meat by-products, corn wheat , soy"

Ingredients: deboned chicken, chicken meal, rice, ground barley, ground rice,
cranberries, olive oil, cranberry fiber, flaxseed, and various other things.

Crude fat is ot less than 8.o%, crude protein is not less than 30%ash not more than 6.5%.
Sorry about the "off-topic" - I'm just getting used to this forum...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The bag I bought sqys "natural food for Adult Cats with added vitamins, minerals and taurine. Calorie control: 11% less calories than Wellness Complete Health adult formulas. " No meat by-products, corn wheat , soy"

Ingredients: deboned chicken, chicken meal, rice, ground barley, ground rice,
cranberries, olive oil, cranberry fiber, flaxseed, and various other things.

Crude fat is ot less than 8.o%, crude protein is not less than 30%ash not more than 6.5%.
Sorry about the "off-topic" - I'm just getting used to this forum...
not an issue
I was just being polite

Rice and Barley Are in fact Grains

enik

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rice and barley aregrains, but I'm wondering where the 11% fewer calories than the adult Wellness comes in...I sure wish they could list calories the way they do on human food!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Rice and barley aregrains, but I'm wondering where the 11% fewer calories than the adult Wellness comes in...I sure wish they could list calories the way they do on human food!

well with just 30% protein I would say grain

ilovemy2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

There's a lot less fat than the regular formulas. 8% versus 18%.