Daily Question: Tues. July 7

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's my daughter's 9th birthday today..... in bout 7hrs from now, 9yrs ago, my 11lb daughter came into this world
She didn't scream either, she was too busy sucking on the thingie they use to suction her mouth.

So, that brings todays question:

Do you celebrate birthdays in your house? What do you do? Big party? Small party?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I don't go over board to celebrate birthdays or anniversaries. We usually forget anyway! It is nice to have an excuse to go out to a nice restaurant though.
I think of birthdays as something kids celebrate, unless it's a milestone one like 30 or 40.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

DH and I don't go over board to celebrate birthdays or anniversaries. We usually forget anyway! It is nice to have an excuse to go out to a nice restaurant though.
I think of birthdays as something kids celebrate, unless it's a milestone one like 30 or 40.
We tend to be the same.

With our children, at the minimum we do gifts and a cake.... some years they have a bday party. Kayleigh had one on Sunday because she didn't get one last year, with 6 of her friends..... a pool party, and they got to go in the hottub.... We did our gifts later on that evening (normally we do them the day of their birthday but DH is away).

My older daughter will have a few friends over for a "hang out" day, and cake.

Some yrs they have a small party, other years its just what we do as a family.

Me and hubby, don't really do much for bdays/anniversaries.... Cards, maybe a small gift.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Travis and I take each other out for our birthdays. The birthday person gets to pick the restaurant and the other person pays. Then we also go out to dinner with our parents. We get each other gifts too. It's our little tradition

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family knows better than to ignore my Birthdays! I won't let them! LOL. It's usually just my Mom, sister and me celebrating, I know longer like big parties. We usually celebrate by going out to lunch, going to a museum, movie, or something like that, and, of course, opening my presents.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most birthdays are low-key with a card or a phone call in my family, however we usually do something special for milestone birthdays.
For example June 19th was my brother's 60th B-day so we had a large family BBQ which was quite fun..

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We used to celebrate parties with lots of my friends coming over or going somewhere for a party when I was younger, but since I'm 20 that doesn't happen anymore. I always spend it with my parents (they can be fun) and the last few years I've gone to Sabor, this brazilian restaurant downtown (a.k.a. "churrascaria"). It's an extremely nice restaurant (like bottled mineral water, pull the chair out/push it in for you type of place.) I absolutely love it there! I basically eat as much as humanly possible and get very drunk on caipirinha's, and watch them sexy goucho's in those hot pants walking through with the meat on skewers (oops, that sounds a bit dirty
). But I go there for the food only
. Can you imagine what my 21st b-day will be like there if I am already getting drunk there? Don't worry, it's one of the only times I drink, and it's always with my parents so it's completely legal here in WI. Recently my mom has started making cakes herself for my b-days, which is really nice too. But it doesn't compare to those goucho's, mmmmmm. sorry, my bad.

My parents don't like to have any parties for their birthdays. IDK why, maybe it makes them feel really old or something. And my 16 y/o sister doesn't like to spend too much time with us anymore, she'd rather spend it at her residential school with everyone there (she's a snot sometimes).

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both mine and my sister's birthday is near Xmas, me the 20th, hers the 26th, so we usually have a cake and exchange presents on Xmas Eve when the whole family is together anyways
Our parents also take us out to dinner. On my parents' birthdays, we taken them out to dinner and give gifts. My Father's b-day is close to Father's Day, so my mom, sister and I will usually pool together and get him a big combo gift, this year we got him a new grill

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we do celebrate birthdays, but not to the extent that we'd have a huge party.

Usually we'll just go out for a meal with the family

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We celebrate birthdays, The birthday person chooses what we have for supper. what kind of cake they like. We don't have big parties.

yourlovingcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are we talking about birthday parties for people, or for our cats? Since both my kitties were adopted from the humane society, I don't know when their birthdays are, so I just give both of them special treats and new toys every September 1st. No, there is no reason for that date, I just try to do a little extra for them then. For the humans, if they are in town, we will have a special dinner with cake afterwards and presents and cards, or a call if they are out of town on their birthday.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like others posted, most are low key saving the hoopla for milestone birthdays. And we have also been known to celebrate any day of the year.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For Rob's, I cook the birthday dinner of his choice, which is usually, but not necessarily, roast lamb. His son and SO join us, and one or more close friends. It often does not happen right on the day, because of coordinating schedules, but then he gets some other favourite dinner on the actual day.

For mine, we go out, the last few years to the same place, which I absolutely adore. Usually the same company, and therefore the same scheduling issues.

We do prezzies and cards on the day. Other members of the family -- both sides -- either remember or don't to phone, email, send a card, whatever, and sometimes there's a gift, often months late.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

It's my daughter's 9th birthday today..... in bout 7hrs from now, 9yrs ago, my 11lb daughter came into this world
She didn't scream either, she was too busy sucking on the thingie they use to suction her mouth.

So, that brings todays question:

Do you celebrate birthdays in your house? What do you do? Big party? Small party?
With near 40 family and extended family members in the area there is a birthday party going on all the time. And since my family are all Iranians and since Iranians always have HUGE birthday parties, it overwhelms me at times mainly because I have yet to learn how to sing Happy Birthday in Farsi (the Persian language).

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My birthday is near Halloween, my favorite holiday. I have a Halloween party every year.
First time I did it, it was actually on my birthday, but most of my guests didn't know. I've told most of my friends that's why I do a Halloween party--mostly so I can see how many remember!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been proclaiming "birthday week" for many years now. It's my way to get out of daily chores like laundry, cooking and litter box scooping for a while. We don't always exchange presents, and often don't bother with going out to dinner, but I plant myself someplace comfy and let DH take care of me for a week. And I do the same in return around DH's birthday.

Next year is a big milestone year for me and I'm going to call a birthday month - either that or make him take me someplace cool like Australia - all depending on our job situation.