New Cat Room

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I had the patio on the northeast corner of my house screened in so the kitties can go outside without becoming coyote bait. It also makes it nicer for me to sit out there without getting eaten by bugs.
I still need to put a cat flap in the door, but that should be an easy project. In the meantime, I just opened the door to let the kitties out.

Shareena made her usual mad dash across the patio and smacked nose-first into the screen.
She backed up and took a run at the next section and got bopped in the nose again. She was looking just a bit confused. It took her four tries before she finally figure out that she couldn't get off the patio. You should have seen the look she gave me.
I wish I'd had my camera out for that.

Miss Patchwillow scooted out and spent the first ten minutes or so rolling around scratching her back on the flagstones. Then she discovered the dirt patch where the tea rose is. I decided to just brush her really well when she came in, instead of trying to give her a bath. It was too hot to put on all my protective gear.
It took Goldy and Iris about 15 minutes to decide that it was safe to stick their noses out the door, and I think it was about half an hour before I saw Cali on the patio.

Here are a few pictures of the new cat room.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome! I'm sure your kitties are very grateful to have such a nice place to hang out and safely watch the world go by.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I opened the door again this morning and they all scooted out immediately. This time Shareena pulled up about an inch away from the screen. Once she learns something she doesn't forget.

I'm going to try to get the cat flap put in the door today. I'll still need to keep it locked when I'm not home until I'm sure all the kitties know how to use it.

There's a flowerbed next to the house that currently has a tearose and some kind of fern growing in it. I was thinking about getting some cat grass to replace the fern, since I don't have any idea if the fern is toxic to cats. I've never seen them eating it, the just like to lay on it. I'll try to get some more pictures later today so you can see what it looks like.

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is awesome! We have a sunroom also and our cats run towards it any chance they get. We cannot leave them alone there since we have screen windows.....maybe in the winter, when the windows are down.
Congrats on your project

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha an Arizona room...in Arizona!

It's beautiful!
I bet they'll get to the point where they only want to come in for potty breaks and food, well, until the monsoons and cold weather get there.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want one! I want one! No fair!

That is cat luxury right there! The closest thing my cats have to that is sitting in a screened second-story windowsill

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I had the patio on the northeast corner of my house screened in so the kitties can go outside without becoming coyote bait. It also makes it nicer for me to sit out there without getting eaten by bugs.
I still need to put a cat flap in the door, but that should be an easy project. In the meantime, I just opened the door to let the kitties out.

Shareena made her usual mad dash across the patio and smacked nose-first into the screen.
She backed up and took a run at the next section and got bopped in the nose again. She was looking just a bit confused. It took her four tries before she finally figure out that she couldn't get off the patio. You should have seen the look she gave me.
I wish I'd had my camera out for that.

Miss Patchwillow scooted out and spent the first ten minutes or so rolling around scratching her back on the flagstones. Then she discovered the dirt patch where the tea rose is. I decided to just brush her really well when she came in, instead of trying to give her a bath. It was too hot to put on all my protective gear.
It took Goldy and Iris about 15 minutes to decide that it was safe to stick their noses out the door, and I think it was about half an hour before I saw Cali on the patio.

Here are a few pictures of the new cat room.
That looks wonderful. I cannot leave the door open for my cats because it is now always 100 degrees out but your idea of a cat flap sounds perfect. Wish I knew how to make one.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - that is my dream to have a sunroom of some sort where cats can get some outdoor enjoyment w/o endangering themselves. It's beautiful BTW.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

That looks wonderful. I cannot leave the door open for my cats because it is now always 100 degrees out but your idea of a cat flap sounds perfect. Wish I knew how to make one.

It's 100+ degress here, too, so I don't want to leave the door open very long. The utility bills get horrendous when you're trying to cool down the whole outdoors.

I bought the cat flap at Lowe's. Since I have a wooden door I figured it would be easy to install the thing. What I didn't realize was that the door was actually three layers of plywood: a 3-ply board sandwiched between two 5-ply boards.
That makes it tricky to saw a straight line. It still only took me about half an hour to install the cat flap. I definitely wouldn't want to try it in a steel door.

All of the cats have gone out through the flap on their own (as opposed to being shoved through it), but I'm not sure they've all figured out they can get back in. I have water out there for them in case they end up staying out too long.

Last edited: