Suppliments for Cats that eat dog food

timotb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two healthy and active cats that have been eating from my dogs dish without any problems for at least 3-4 years. Im reading this is bad for their nutrition. Cats need higher protein, arachidonic acide, Taurine, and Niacin that Dog foods lack.

Can I get a supplements for these cats who refuse their own dish?

Tim

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe there are some supplements that you might find to order. The problem is finding these supplements without other chemicals added.

It would be difficult to get extra protein into a cat in the form of a supplement.

Can you feed the dogs and cats on a schedule? Put the cats in a separate room and put food down for a certain length of time then take the food up. Feed the dogs at the same time in a different area and take all the food up.

They may be fine and without health issues now, but this may not always be.

This might help some. http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/catsaredif.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

timotb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What I think your saying is: The best supplement is for the cats to eat cat food. I considered that. My problem is the complete free lifestyle I let these cats have. They have a cat door that lets them go in and out at will. They come in nibble at the dogs dish and move on. This way, I have to give them little or no maintenance (they do their business out side year round.) Some times they catch a bird and eat it. Could that be motivated by lacking nutrients in their dog food diet?

I wonder if I bought I can of high quality moist food and gave it to them once a week (or two) if enough supplements could be delivered that way? Sounds like the easiest and the cheapest.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by timotb

I wonder if I bought I can of high quality moist food and gave it to them once a week (or two) if enough supplements could be delivered that way? Sounds like the easiest and the cheapest.
Yes, this would be the best way to get what they need. You can buy 13 oz canned cat food at a better price and it will help in feeding more than one cat.

Best for them would be to feed them canned at least daily. Maybe get them used to getting the canned food at a certain time of the day then they will look forward to that time.

Do you have a pet store close, or a feed and seed type store? You can find large canned food there. Post where you can shop and everyone can give you suggestions.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO you need to re-arrange the feeding schedule or something to stop the cats from eating the dog's food. If you are leaving the dog's food out for the dog to nibble on, then try to change the feeding schedule and only offer the dog food at certain times - give the dog 15 mins to eat - then take it up.

That is why I'm against free feeding both dogs and cats - they need to learn to eat when food is offered instead of eating whenever they choose - makes it a lot easier in the long run to know how much each pet is eating (or not eating).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

timotb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well at the moment Ive decided to add a can of Friskies 5.5 oz can every couple of days downstairs away from the dog food. They both ate from that and, at least for the moment, the bigger can is too much.

Regarding the last posters comments for feeding times and no free feeding....yes, you are probably right. That would be better. But.....this will increase my workload. The way I have things working now, both cats are basically maintenance free, except for a rabies vax every 3 years.

I think adding the occasional cans will be better for them then only dog food.

Thanks to all the comments.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with GoldyKitty about scheduled meals. Eating habits are one of the quickest and earliest signs you can find of an illness, too, and since I know how much my cats eat and when, if one of them goes off their food I will know immediately. I can also prevent my kitties from becoming overweight. As for increasing your workload, feeding animals is part of the package of work that comes with having pets. It may be the least work for you, but not the best for your cats.
Ideally I would feed them food appropriate to their species regularly on a schedule.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by timotb

That would be better. But.....this will increase my workload.
It's called being a responsible pet owner

Picking up the dogs food after mealtime really doesn't take much time at all.

Easier than the vet bills that will incur from cats eating too much dog food over time.