Rescued Cat

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went to the vets office today offering to help him move. He already had everything moved over. They will be open for business on Wednesday. They got a stray cat that was left at a home while the people moved away to starve. The stray cat was dropped off to the vets office by a rescue group the same day that Lita my Ragdoll died 8 days ago. The girl there told me that they have a "really nice" cat available. The cat was in a cage and I went to look at it. It was rubbing on the cage and on my hand like crazy. I took the cat out to see if it liked being held and it did. It crawled up on my shoulder and rubbed on the back of my neck for about 10 minutes before I put it back in the cage. The cat is a seal colored Siamese mix breed or Ragdoll due to the length of the coat with 4 white mittens and weighs about 8-9 pounds. It meows a little but it is not very loud. I told the vet to check the blood work and make sure it does not have any transferable diseases. The test will be $40.00 because the vet likes me If the cat checks out healthy..........I will take the animal as it is a very affectionate cat which I want. The cat is free outside of the $40.00 test fee I will know the results of the test late Wednesday. I just got back from buying a cage for it. The cage was $70.00. I was kinda upset because I saw it for $50.00 at an online store. I said to hell with it and took the cage up to the cashier. After she rang it up.......I was only charged $55.00 and was listed as being "on sale" ........ I was more than happy with that and wrote it off as the cat was meant to be mine from either God or Lita from cat heaven. I wanted a cage for years in case a cat gets sick and needs medication. The cage just folds up for storage I know that if I put a caged cat in my family room........the other 4 will adjust to it much faster while protecting the new cat. It will be best for all the cats for their protection. The new cat is already declawed on all 4 paws so it needs a chance so it does not get tag teamed by my other 4 cats which all have razor blade sharp claws........hahahahaha .....The cage is a medium sized dog cage at 36x23x25. More than enough room for a cat box inside I will let you know how it works out. Please wish me luck on this new rescue and possible family member

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a gift from Lita

I hope the test turns out fine, and your cats welcome the new one in

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Sounds like it was meant to be. Is the new cat a male or female?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you get good news on Wednesday - I agree, it sounds like Lita was working all the angles to make sure the two of you met (including getting that sale price to show up on the cage!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the good wishes. Today the leukemia and feline aids test came out negative on the stray at my vets office
We feel that the stray is a mitted seal Siamese mixed male. The vet looked him over for the first time today and his teeth are pretty bad. I know that teeth cleanings are like $150.00 and are expensive. The vet offered to do the cleanings for free next week. My vet has been helping me out for months doing free services or highly discounted work on my recently deceased Lita. I am barely working part time and he knows that. I can't expect to get the teeth cleaned for no charge. I will pay him something. The cat is more than likely over 12 years old based on the condition of his teeth. Not many people would adopt an older cat like I did.......the cat is very affectionate and lays on my shoulder while rubbing the back of my neck with his nose. The cat is declawed on all 4 paws unfortunately
Lita must have sent this sweet cat to me from cat heaven as everything is just too coincidental
I feel good about adopting an older needy cat to my household. This cat would be put down for sure at a Humane Society due to his age and teeth condition. My 4 Ragdolls went up and sniffed the stray in the cage and seemed to except the cat almost instantly. 2 of my cats hissed one time and that was it
NOOO growling or swatting though the cage bars at all and the cat is in my family room for maximum exposure to the other 4 cats
I will keep the cat caged for another day or two to allow the other 4 cats to get better used to each other. Please say a prayer that everyone will get along and be happy together

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so excited for you!!!! It seems like one of those odd destiny things...go figure. It was meant to be. Keep us posted on his progress. And thank you and your vet for helping this kitty

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy that things are going well with the new kitty. Bless you for taking this senior guy in and loving him. I know he can never replace your dear Lita, but I like to think that every time a beloved kitty goes to the Bridge, that leaves a spot for a kitty in need to have a chance.

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am somewhat concerned as this stray kitty appears to be sneezing more than normal in my opinion. The cat will sneeze 4-6 times in a row every 4-6 hours
.............. .......... Any ideas?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the sneezing is just adjusting to the new environment, but if anyone can make sure this kitty gets the care and love he needs, it's you. And how wonderful of your vet to be such a help to you, medically and financially. I was just wondering if maybe there's something you can do for him or his practice to repay him, other than the cash you're already thinking of....maybe there's some skill you can donate to his practice, sort of a barter arrangement. But I suspect the vet feels good he was able to help find this boy a good home.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, he is home!!! Congratulations Bob! That's awesome!
Make sure to put him on L-Lysine just in case he has herpes, to prevent a flareup with the stress of the move...

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

So, he is home!!! Congratulations Bob! That's awesome!
Make sure to put him on L-Lysine just in case he has herpes, to prevent a flareup with the stress of the move...
My vet knows his ways. He has 18 years experience
I feel that I am in the very finest hands here
I am still trying to figure out a name for this very special man? Got any ideas????

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Slave2_Ragdolls

I am still trying to figure out a name for this very special man? Got any ideas????
Well.... Do you have pictures of him??

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welp.........I had this Siamese mixed cat for 2 days now
The cat is named "Mugsy" for now. This stray cat is about 12-15 years old based on his badly rotten teeth
Mugsy is an extremely affectionate cat and would lay with me all day if I allowed it. I just have a hard time believing that the owners would just dump a "awesome" cat like this to just starve..
My 4 Ragdolls have excepted the new boy....and do not attempt to hurt the cat even when Mugsy is out of the cage and on my lap. Mugsy's breath is just horrible due to his teeth issues. I will take Mugsy to my very considerate vet on Monday or Tuesday for a teeth cleaning and possible extractions. I really am starting to love this cat as it is a consistent lap cat and very people friendly to strangers . Mugsy is a handsome male....and is a non aggressive kitty....hopefully I can get a picture up of this man handsome guy in the next couple of days

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think a few members here can attest to the efficacy of L-Lysine...it's been GREAT for Bugsy... One of my vets have about 20yr of experience, and the other about 40 (!), and neither of them told me about L-Lysine on their own. I asked them about adding it to his diet, and they said it could help him, but it took me asking... And I really trust my vet. So, I know it is none of my business, but IMO talking to your vet about it could be of a great help for him, and to protect your other kitties from Herpes and URIs.
I love the name BTW!

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I think a few members here can attest to the efficacy of L-Lysine...it's been GREAT for Bugsy... One of my vets have about 20yr of experience, and the other about 40 (!), and neither of them told me about L-Lysine on their own. I asked them about adding it to his diet, and they said it could help him, but it took me asking... And I really trust my vet. So, I know it is none of my business, but IMO talking to your vet about it could be of a great help for him, and to protect your other kitties from Herpes and URIs.
I love the name BTW!
Thank you Carolinalima for your advice. I will question my vet early next week about this drug. Mugsy is an older cat......90% of the people would walk away from him and his bad teeth....IMO. I will give the cat an awesome home for the rest of his life regardless

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you Carolinalima for your advice. I will question my vet early next week about this drug. Mugsy is an older cat......90% of the people would walk away from him and his bad teeth....IMO. I will give the cat an awesome home for the rest of his life regardless
I know, it is really sad that he was abandoned at this age - see... one more reason why I like cats better than people. Bless you for giving him a loving home!