advise needed, Spike hurt himself

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spike must have landed on his chin when he jumped down from the basement window this morning, he has a deep cut inside his lower lip, and his chin is scraped and bloody.

I cleaned it with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water, can anyone recommend any better products? I will do this a few times a day and watch it, if it starts to look worse we will see the vet.

is neosporin something that can be used? it is in his mouth, so I have to be careful of that gum tissue, and what he might ingest.

Any advice besides go to the vet? I know that one.
thanks

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

Spike must have landed on his chin when he jumped down from the basement window this morning, he has a deep cut inside his lower lip, and his chin is scraped and bloody.

I cleaned it with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water, can anyone recommend any better products? I will do this a few times a day and watch it, if it starts to look worse we will see the vet.

is neosporin something that can be used? it is in his mouth, so I have to be careful of that gum tissue, and what he might ingest.

Any advice besides go to the vet? I know that one.
thanks
If its a deep cut, really, the only advise to be given is to see the vet....

Peroxide is not a good idea because it dries things out really bad, and neosporin in the mouth is not a good idea.

Sorry, my only advice would be to see the vet especially because of a deep cut inside his mouth (think of all the bacterias in his mouth getting into the cut).

Good luck.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gail, I would just continue doing what you are doing unless it get's worse then of course you know what to do.

I wouldn't use the neosporin. As long as you dilute the peroxide you should be OK. I will mention that when Bijou has his abscess, the vet gave me a small bottle of something that I mixed with water and then carefully wiped the area (it was oozing a bit of puss). You might just call your vet and ask if they have anything like that. I believe it was an antiseptic and did basically the same as what you are doing with the peroxide.

They heal pretty quickly so hopefully this owey will soon heal.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were in your shoes, I would do the peroxide 2x daily (anymore than that can actually damage good tissue) and keep an eye on it. If it gets swollen, or he refuses to eat, then I would suggest vet.

If possible, maybe feed him just wet for a while, as dry may irritate it & make it take longer to heal.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Spike. Do make sure he is eating and drinking Ok, as it is not uncommon for a cat to split their lower jaw on a bad landing like that. I had a cat many years ago who did that jumping at a fly and sailing through the lace curtain to a concrete yard below. He healed OK.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Poor Spike. Do make sure he is eating and drinking Ok, as it is not uncommon for a cat to split their lower jaw on a bad landing like that. I had a cat many years ago who did that jumping at a fly and sailing through the lace curtain to a concrete yard below. He healed OK.
I was thinking the same thing about breaking the lower jaw. It is very common injury and easy to break. If this isn't the case, I would leave the inside of the lip alone, as long as it doesn't need stitches.

The neosporin on the outside may help, but Spike or one of he other cats is just going to like it off. For some reason cats tend to like neosporin. I have two that will try to eat the tube if it is left out, they like it better than laxatone or petromalt.

If you have Betadine or providone Iodine that would be better to wash the bottom of the chin with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thaks, I did call the vet and they said no peroxide in the mouth lest he ingest it, and it will make him vomit. He did eat good tonight, I diluted his wet food with water and he ate it all. I haven't given him dry. His lip is swollen and it is a deep cut from what I saw this morning. his chin is like a brush burn, red and scraped but dry.
I made an appointment for tomorrow night at 8 pm, I wll see how it looks around 5 and then determine what to do. the vet tech said it would heal fast, and keep an eye. I can cancel if I don't think it is needed. he is acting ok, but he looks so pathetic. My poor baby.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to take him. He won't let me dab the injury with a cue tip and diluted peroxide (I have a vets book that says to do that), and I can tell it is getting infected, so off to the vet we go. Get it cleaned and maybe an antibiotic shot? HE's worth it. It will probably cost around 100 dollars. IT is 45 just to walk through the door.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, but also glad you are going to take him in. Please keep us posted... Many vibes for your boy

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went, no stiches or surgery needed. she showed me a better way to clean it with the hydrogen peroxide, straight!

we will take clavamox for 14 days,
and it only cost 65 bucks! yea!

I am glad we went, I feel much better now, and I am sure he does too. Plus we got to try out the new carrier.