Groceries - what do you spend?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby and I have been keeping track of our grocery bills and I am rather curious as to what other people spend on groceries.

We seem to average about $500/month for two people. That includes food, vitamins, cat food, cleaning supplies, beer, basically anything we buy at the grocery store. I think that part of the reason that the bill is so high is that we eat a ton of produce, we drink soymilk, and take quite a few vitamins.

What does your monthly grocery bill look like?

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For me and the BF we probably easily spend $400 a month. But that's only if we're very careful. I've come to realize that making grocery lists is the only way to go. Otherwise I'll end up buying everything in the store! And, never go to the grocery store when you're hungry...baaad idea,

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing it's about $500 to $600 per month for just me and the three kitties. However, I spend approximately $150/month on prescription cat food, which is included in that estimate. I'm including everything; food, cleaning products, cat litter, paper products, and the occasional clothing purchase, such as socks, and all of the other miscellaneous items that manage to find their way into my shopping basket, lol!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I spend $300.00 a month for just myself. That includes paper products, cleaning supplies, pharmacy supplies like vitamins and bath soap, and cat litter.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure but I stocked up Friday at the grocery stores and my total for Sams Club, Walmart (groceries mostly), gas and Lowes was about $250. Not including my dog food or cat food. I tend to make big pots of food and eat it for several days so I expect I save money there.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy for me and hubby. We do about 400$ to 500$ a month for 2 adults. I live close to Boston so things are a bit more expensive here. Gone are the days I had Back in Wisconsin when I could get a 2 liter bottle of soda for 99 cents. Its $1.65 here. A gallon of milk runs $3.50 to 4$. And you think that sea food would be cheeper on the coast? Wrong. Just more availible. Thats my 2 cents worth.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rough -- very rough -- estimate including cat supplies/food -- probably about $800 for two humans and two cats. The humans eat little processed food, and willingly spend more on groceries rather than eating out a lot.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We spend around $1000. That is Dh, me 18 year old daughter, 12 year old son, 5 year old daughter. 2 dogs and 3 cats.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW....

We are a family of 4....2 adults, 13yr old and 9yr old.

We spend less than $300/mo on groceries. (only groceries....includes hygiene and cleaning supplies....no meds, no pet food)

We eat cheap, and shop around. I buy things on sale, in bulk, in season, half price rack for my bread, etc. We do eat healthy, but cheap

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Rough -- very rough -- estimate including cat supplies/food -- probably about $800 for two humans and two cats. The humans eat little processed food, and willingly spend more on groceries rather than eating out a lot.
We are about the same her Fran.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
We spend about $250-$300 a month for two people including cat food, medication and such.

If we have to we can drop to $35 a week, but I prefer not to if at all possible because it's alot of sacrifices. We existed on less than $200 for years though while DH was finishing school.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I'm guessing it's about $500 to $600 per month for just me and the three kitties.
Yes, that's about what I spend for me and 2 cats.

That includes cat litter ($40.00 per month); cat food; cleaning supplies; bath/shower supplies such as shampoo, hand soap, shower gel; lactaid milk ($60.00 per month); home delivery ($22.00 per month).

The price is more if I have to restock my pantry with things such as rice, staple canned stuff like tomatoes, spices, sauces etc.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For 4 adults, 3 dogs and 4 cats we spend around 900.00 a month. That includes all the sundries like paper products, and cleaning supplies. We also go to the local butcher for almost all our meat, it's a little spendy but the quality just totally outshines anything we can get at the market and the service is awesome. They all know our names and greet us with a smile every time we go in. It's pretty nice.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally try to stay below $ 150 for myself.. and add another $50-$75 to that for the cats.
I buy a lot of sale items and look for bargins, however the cats don't understand the meaning of "hey this cat food is on sale". They all have a favorite and that is what they eat, no bargin brands for them...

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really have to say wow. The range at which has been discussed in this thread is astonishing to me.

I really thought that the #'s would be lower, especially in this time of poor economy....

But, what we're not seeing, is cost of living where the posters live. I think my grocery costs are less than X locations.....Luckily, I do not live in a town where things are overly expensive.... most are cheaper than in the nearby city.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I really have to say wow. The range at which has been discussed in this thread is astonishing to me.

I really thought that the #'s would be lower, especially in this time of poor economy....

But, what we're not seeing, is cost of living where the posters live. I think my grocery costs are less than X locations.....Luckily, I do not live in a town where things are overly expensive.... most are cheaper than in the nearby city.
Exactly, if I lived in another area my costs would most likely be below $100. As I mention in another thread living in a tourist area has some draw-backs and this is one of them. The prices get jacked up from May-October to catch the extra tourist bucks. Most stores depend on the extra income they make during this time to ride throw the winter on. The prices do start going down in the fall but they will never be as low as a non-tourist region.

However, I love living were I do, it's such a pretty area all year round and I guess it is one of those take the good with the bad sistuation.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Exactly, if I lived in another area my costs would most likely be below $100. As I mention in another thread living in a tourist area has some draw-backs and this is one of them. The prices get jacked up from May-October to catch the extra tourist bucks. Most stores depend on the extra income they make during this time to ride throw the winter on. The prices do start going down in the fall but they will never be as low as a non-tourist region.

However, I love living were I do, it's such a pretty area all year round and I guess it is one of those take the good with the bad sistuation.
A friend of mine lives in Manitouwadge.... groceries are expensive there too. While not a tourist town, it's way out of the way, in the middle of nowhere so things are at least double what I pay here...(while I was there, I went and bought the groceries for a homecooked meal that I make....it was pricey)