Kirkland vs Natural Balance

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I need a quick opinion.
We have been feeding our kitties Natural Balance ultra (dried) for awhile now. The cheapest price for it is $37.50/17lb bag. We're not in the best of financial situations right now though, so it's getting hard to provide the NB. We were at Costco yesterday and saw the Kirkland brand there, since I had heard it wasn't bad on here I read the ingredients. It didn't seem too bad and it's only $15/large bag (approximately 15lbs).
What I was wondering is if the ingredient difference is big enough to stay on the NB, or could I save the money and get the Kirkland?
I would like to add right now, before people talk about wet, that they all eat Authority wet twice a day every day, so no worries (although I wish they'd come out with a big can!)

there are no real health concerns to deal with. Chester has a heart murmur, but past that they are all healthy adults.

Ok, so ingredients!

Kirkland:

chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, ground white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, potassium chloride, salt, calcium sulfate, calcuim carbonate, methionine, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper protienate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine monotrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodine, calcium patothenate, riboflavin, pyrodoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin b12 supplement, mangonous oxide, sulfer selenate, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Natural Balance

Chicken Meal, Chicken, Brown Rice, Salmon Meal, Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Potatoes, Carrots, Lamb Meal, Canola Oil, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg, Brewers Yeast, Duck, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Spinach, Parsley Flakes, Cranberries, L-Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Thanks in advance!

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMO both are actually pretty equal quality.

kirkland has a smaller/simpler ingredient list but natural balance has just a tiny bit more meat. kirkland also doesn't have any fish so it is good for cats that are allergic to fish or male cats. plus kirkland where you are is much cheaper than natural balance. the only thing about kirkland is that it doesn't have lots of taurine BUT since you are feeding lots of canned that shouldn't be a problem because canned has plenty of taurine in it.

so i'd say go with the kirkland.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kirkland is pretty decent food. But your biggest problem is that you have to gradually change over on dry food or they wind up throwing up/loose stools etc.

We used to feed the barn cats Kirkland and they were fine with it. If you don't have a lot of cats to be feeding, I suggest you stick to the higher quality foods. In the long run your cat will be healthier and less vet bills for problems.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Hey guys, I need a quick opinion.
We have been feeding our kitties Natural Balance ultra (dried) for awhile now. The cheapest price for it is $37.50/17lb bag. We're not in the best of financial situations right now though, so it's getting hard to provide the NB. We were at Costco yesterday and saw the Kirkland brand there, since I had heard it wasn't bad on here I read the ingredients. It didn't seem too bad and it's only $15/large bag (approximately 15lbs).
What I was wondering is if the ingredient difference is big enough to stay on the NB, or could I save the money and get the Kirkland?
I would like to add right now, before people talk about wet, that they all eat Authority wet twice a day every day, so no worries (although I wish they'd come out with a big can!)

there are no real health concerns to deal with. Chester has a heart murmur, but past that they are all healthy adults.

Ok, so ingredients!

Kirkland:

chicken, chicken meal
, whole grain brown rice, ground white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, potassium chloride, salt, calcium sulfate, calcuim carbonate, methionine, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper protienate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine monotrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodine, calcium patothenate, riboflavin, pyrodoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin b12 supplement, mangonous oxide, sulfer selenate, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Natural Balance

Chicken Meal, Chicken, Brown Rice, Salmon Meal, Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Potatoes, Carrots, Lamb Meal, Canola Oil, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg, Brewers Yeast, Duck, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Spinach, Parsley Flakes, Cranberries, L-Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Thanks in advance!
I use Kirkland with great results, uti and ph issues disappeared .... and have tried NB without success , duck seems to not agree with many ...

It is a 25lb bag of kirkland
and is 65 cents a lb , when I priced grocery store brands they are aroun85 cents to 1$ per lb

When I can I buy small or sample bags( 1-4 lbs ) of grain frees to mix in to add to the protein

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks guys
We decided to pick up a bag of Kirkland today after all. It was $15/20lbs so it was less than half the price for more kibble.
We're going to mix the last of the NB at the top of our food bin and hopefully that will help with the tolleration of the change. I really only have one kitty who gets the runs from food changes.
Thanks for the advice. I think you guys just saved me a bunch of cash.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed Orijen, but would have happily switched to Kirkland. However, when I tried (at half/half), my one cat started getting soft stools, which would stick to her bottom and then get dropped somewhere around the house. They also vomitted a few times while on it. These problems happened when they were on Wellness (before Orijen), so I just don't think they tolerate grains well. So, we're back to Orijen, but as I said, I would happily feed Kirkland, given the ingredients.

It is made by the same people who make Black Diamond, Chicken Soup, and Taste of the Wild, I believe....although, I can't for the life of me remember where I got that information to check if it was true!

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

I feed Orijen, but would have happily switched to Kirkland. However, when I tried (at half/half), my one cat started getting soft stools, which would stick to her bottom and then get dropped somewhere around the house. They also vomitted a few times while on it. These problems happened when they were on Wellness (before Orijen), so I just don't think they tolerate grains well. So, we're back to Orijen, but as I said, I would happily feed Kirkland, given the ingredients.

It is made by the same people who make Black Diamond, Chicken Soup, and Taste of the Wild, I believe....although, I can't for the life of me remember where I got that information to check if it was true!
Yep, it is made by diamond{although no black that's the cheese
}

that's too bad it didn't work for you. Mine have been able to tolerate it fortunately.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
*shocked* Kirkland dry is that good? I had no idea! I've got to tell my cousin about that; she feeds the farm's cats (and people keep dumping more there for some reason). Maybe I'll even switch mine over; I'd thought about switching them to something anyway (Purina Indoor went up and I can buy a lot of wheatgrass seed for the price difference between that and an indoor/outdoor food).

I also give them canned almost every day (plus a few bites of real food whenever I cook chicken). It'll be every day as soon as I get my cashflow back in reasonable order; as it is, they're already eating better than I am :p