Show Us Your Medium Hairs!

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said Alley will most likely be(is) a Domestic Medium Haired cat. Ok,I know long hair and short hair. How about posting some pics of what these legendary DMH`s look like when they are grown? It would just be kind of interesting for me to get a preview of Dame Alley with grownup`s pelt.

Thanks in advance!

HosMan

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm, I'm interested in seeing what is classed as a medium hair.

I've only ever seen/owned short hair or long hair.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Belle would be considered a medium hair - at least that's what I have on her vet file. Her hair is longer than Delilah's (short hair), but not long enough that I'd consider her a long hair. Her body hair is shorter around the sides, but she does have a bit of a mane and a strip down her back that is long (but lies flat) - she also has a long, puffy tail. Last summer, she really thinned out (she was under a year old), but even then her hair was still longer than Delilah's. Now, certain areas have thickened up and I think she has her true coat.

Here are some photos of her:

Last year when her hair was thinner:

And as a kitten:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks a million! She`s cool looking. Her fur as a kitten is just like my Alley`s.A bit of friz/punk/gothic thing going on.My friends say "why is her hair like that?why is it scruffy?" Hurtful cat insulters need to back off.

DMH`s just need to grow into their fur,right?

Serious though,you have a cutey there!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though she's classified as a DLH at my vet office, I think Cleo would be considered a medium hair too. Her fur is too long to be considered short, but too short to be considered long. Here's her baby and adult pics.

About 8 or 9 weeks old.

Adult

Maggie is kind of in the same boat. She's listed as a DLH Lilac Point. Her tail is definitely a DLH tail, but her coat and ruff is rather short. She does have fluffy britches that aren't usually found on shorthairs.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Even though she's classified as a DLH at my vet office, I think Cleo would be considered a medium hair too. Her fur is too long to be considered short, but too short to be considered long. Here's her baby and adult pics.

About 8 or 9 weeks old.

Adult

Maggie is kind of in the same boat. She's listed as a DLH Lilac Point. Her tail is definitely a DLH tail, but her coat and ruff is rather short. She does have fluffy britches that aren't usually found on shorthairs.

I'd definitely class all the kitties in this thread so far as Longhairs. Look at those foofy tales!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sam - Ragdolls... are they long, or medium hair? TICA and CFA call them "semi-long hair"... What is that exactly? Looking and Bugsy's and Lucky's fur, I am inclined to say they are closer to long than short hair?? What's your call?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Sam - Ragdolls... are they long, or medium hair? TICA and CFA call them "semi-long hair"... What is that exactly? Looking and Bugsy's and Lucky's fur, I am inclined to say they are closer to long than short hair?? What's your call?
Yeah the NZCF (my fancy) calls them Semi longhairs too. Which I guess is like Medium hairs but I still consider them to be Longhairs. My Persians don't have very long fur - probably about the same length as your babies

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sam - didn't you tell us once that there isn't anything officially called "medium" haired?

Those of us with you standard DSH and DLH varieties tend to call anything with a shorter long-haired as medium haired. I know it's not official, but its our best designation.

Belle looks just like my Scarlett (see siggie). I won't repeat the pictures because they look so similar.

Here are my others that I consider shorter than long varieties:

Muddy:

Pinky (passed out after catnip) - he actually has a double coat, which makes him look bigger than what he is, and a little mottled at times:

And OK, I'll post a picture of Scarlett:

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Belle looks just like my Scarlett (see siggie). I won't repeat the pictures because they look so similar.
I think we've had this conversation before, but there are some pictures of Scarlett that I can swear I'm looking at a picture of Belle. Belle doesn't photograph well, however. She gets that nose stuck up in the air and it makes her look completely different than she does in real-life!

I consider Belle medium hair because A) she doesn't have nearly the same amount of hair as some of the long hairs I've seen pictures of and B) her hair is actually quite short in some areas, but quite long in others.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the most recent picture of my tubby little 9 month old, Bonnie. She's definitely a medium hair. Too long to be short, and too short to be long.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know DMH isn't a technical breeding term, but I still believe in it's use, especially for non-purebred cats. For adopting cats such as my current girls, I have put DMH. They are not short hair, but I don't think they'll have long hair either. If I put DLH people get turned off thinking they're going to require a lot of maintenance, so I put DMH to let adopters know that they aren't short hair, but they should be relatively low maintenance

Here they are anyway!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe both Barney & Stanley are DMH

here they are next to Bella (DSH and beautiful tabby girl)

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my family's Midori. She was classed as a medium hair by the shelter (yeah, what do they know!). She is definitely a lot more plushy than my Aya or the other short hairs we've had. You touch her and sink in at least an inch or two. She also has the fuzzy skirt of longer hair between her hind legs, but a non-bushy tail.