Bump on lower lip???????????

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It never ends

Couple days ago, Kizzy got a bump on his lip.... at the time I thought he was getting acne again. Today it is apparant it is not acne.

I'm wonderring if anyone has ever seen anything like this? If so, what was it?

3 pics to show progression.... sorry bout the quality... I wasn't shooting his lip, I was shooting something else and he happened to be in the pic.

(in the above pic you can see relative size)

excuse the squinty eyes.... he was under my desk so I had to use the flash. This pic is from bout 10mins ago.

He is eating normally, playing normally, stinking up the house normally, etc. He is in one of his URI phases but nearing the end of it...nothing abnormal with that. (sneezing/eye discharge....he's down to just the eye gunk now, as you can see some in the pic)

Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm fairly certain it's not acne (we've done that before).

My thoughts: a bug bite perhaps? He's been catching random bugs around the house as of late.

Thanks in advance for any experiences.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Chris - that is weird!
The only thing I can think of is he got stung by a bug??

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking bug bite/sting as well. ?????????????????? Given its slow progression, I'd probably getting him to a vet Monday.

Laurie

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A possibility is that he bit his lip or suffered some sort of injury to it (a hard hit
)? Dory had a lump similar to that once - one of the other kitties had bit him in the lip & it was infected. Normally a play scratch/bite doesn't get infected, but apparently ones along the lips are more likely to develop bacteria build-up due to eating dry food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

A possibility is that he bit his lip or suffered some sort of injury to it (a hard hit
)? Dory had a lump similar to that once - one of the other kitties had bit him in the lip & it was infected. Normally a play scratch/bite doesn't get infected, but apparently ones along the lips are more likely to develop bacteria build-up due to eating dry food.
It is possible that when he and Kitchi were playing, that he got bit.... or when they were playing on the new tree its possible he hit himself

What would some signs of infection be? (assuming the usual, fever, discharge, change in behaviour, etc)

Thanks

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dory had no fever, no physical signs of an infection other than the lump on the lip. We were running bloodwork that day (for a completely different reason), and it did show signs of an infection. I had to clean his lip 2x a day with warm water, and he was an anti-biotics for 10 days.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave my cat a cold sore once. Not sure if that is even possible but I kissed her on the lips and sure enough she got one. Possibility?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I gave my cat a cold sore once. Not sure if that is even possible but I kissed her on the lips and sure enough she got one. Possibility?
Nope, no cold sores on any of us....

but he'll be going to the vet, yet again, when I'm able to get Brandy (
) in this week. (sooner if it appears infected or interferes with eating)

It looks just like the pic Luci posted of the cat with an abcessed tooth... hope it isn't, but the pic is the closest I have found.

It's just weird.... I dunno.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat gets this, its called Rodent Ulcer (nothing to do with a rodent) its an allergic reaction to something, in Cinnies case it was a flea bite. Her bottom lip swells up.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

My cat gets this, its called Rodent Ulcer (nothing to do with a rodent) its an allergic reaction to something, in Cinnies case it was a flea bite. Her bottom lip swells up.
Yup - Pinky has this and it has been diagnosed as Rodent Ulcer. Pinky is also very prone to acne, and my bet is that it is somewhat related. Stay meticulous with your bowl cleaning regime and if it doesn't go away on its own, you'll need a course of antibiotics and possibly a steroid to shrink the swelling. Pinky flares up about once a year. Yes, it is chronic, and no, he never shows any symptoms other than his lip getting puffy.

See if you can open up his mouth to look at his entire gum line. Sometimes the entire gum line swells inside where you don't notice it from the outside. If his is like this, get him to the vet sooner than later because it can become infected.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Yup - Pinky has this and it has been diagnosed as Rodent Ulcer. Pinky is also very prone to acne, and my bet is that it is somewhat related. .
Cinnie also has acne problems, it is related.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious about it being 'rodent ulcer" because anything I've read, says things like this:

Tissue destruction results in death of cells and, in the case of "rodent ulcer" in a cat, there can be a disfiguring ulceration of the upper lip. In severe cases the inside of the oral cavity and the lower lip may be involved.

He has no other marks on his body, just his lower lip, which ironically seems to be smaller today.

Amy, I was able to look in his mouth, and I have to google pics of cats mouths to know whats normal but it seems to be normal except, there seems to be a very small circular bump right below each of his fangs.... I do not know if thats new, or normal. It is probally about this size: o solid small bump.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Amy, I was able to look in his mouth, and I have to google pics of cats mouths to know whats normal but it seems to be normal except, there seems to be a very small circular bump right below each of his fangs.... I do not know if thats new, or normal. It is probally about this size: o solid small bump.
This bump is normal - Bugsy has it too...
I don't know, but for me I still think about a bug bite of sorts - it doesn't look like the pictures I see for rodent ulcer... And if it is smaller today, it makes even more sense to be a bug sting... I hope so... You need break!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
off to the vet we go today..... The bumps inside his mouth don't look normal to me.... He's still eating fine, but I want to figure out what this mouth issue is. I wouldn't want it to be an absessed tooth left too long.

will let ya know later....suprisingly they can fit me in, in an hour or so.

medicibrothers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Cosimo, has had this problems - the first time a year ago, then it reoccurred last April. Now it is back once again. It is frequently referred to as "bubble lip" or "bubble mouth".  Apparently it is not a life-threatening problem, but can grow larger and may cause the cat some discomfort. There is no definitive cause for the condition. My vet has treated it successfully in the past with cortisone, but is hesitant to use a large dose or inject it too often as some cats do not react well to the drug.  I suggest a visit to your vet for an opinion.