Ollie seems a little sad

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ollie, Ally, and myself have recently moved from South Florida to Minneapolis, MN.

As of the last 3-4 days or so, Ollie seems kind of depressed.

I'm hesitant to say it's from the move itself because Ollie seemed exceptionally chipper up until 3-4 days ago, and he'll have been here for 2 weeks as of tomorrow.

Ally on the other hand is the happiest I've seen her in months.

Things that I think may be the cause:

1) My mother brought Ollie and Ally up here via airplane and left on Sunday. I wonder if Ollie is upset that she's gone.

2) I put Soft Claws on Ollie at about the same time that he started acting sad.

3) He's lost all of his toys. They must be under the furniture, but I don't see them.

I bought him some new toys at CVS today. I will go to Petsmart tomorrow.

I don't know what's up with my little guy. He's usually the one who is always happy, purring all the time. He's still playing with Ally and is playing right now with the toys I bought him today, so that's encouraging, but his behavior seems kind of sad, and he's not purred once in days.

It may be nothing. I'm just wondering if anybody has any knowledge on the subject to share.

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Bella gets like that occasionally. Give him lots of love and cuddles and he'll cheer up soon enough. They're like us humans - they just have the occasional off days

BTW, I think your furbabies are adorable!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pui Hang

My Bella gets like that occasionally. Give him lots of love and cuddles and he'll cheer up soon enough. They're like us humans - they just have the occasional off days

BTW, I think your furbabies are adorable!!!
They're cute little furballs indeed.

I gave Ollie a big hug and held him for a while, petting him. I eventually got a faint purr out of him as he got sleepy and fell asleep. I put him in my office chair and he's taking a nap.

I'll just continue watching him and hope he cheers up. I'm also watching him because I wonder if the behavior could be caused by him being sick.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He might have caught a bug on the trip - like URI or something... If he continues like this, I would take him to the vet...

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That was what I was wondering this morning. Is it possible for a URI to present over a week after the trip?

I haven't heard any sneezing or coughing, but I'm keeping an eye on him.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, incubation time is in between 3-8 days...
Keep an eye on him, and make sure he continues to eat and drink, even if you need to keep reminding him to do so...

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even though it is a possibility, it's more likely he's just being a grumpy kitty. We all have our days, I guess-notably me. LOL! But it is important to keep an eye on him and watch for any funny behavior.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I let Ollie and Ally sleep in the bedroom last night and kept a close eye on Ollie. He slept well and I didn't hear any sneezing or coughing.

As of today he seems to be somewhat better. I've heard plenty of purring.

I'm wondering if maybe the change which is bothering him is that he doesn't see me 75% or more of the day like before the move. Maybe spending the night in my bedroom cheered him up? I don't know. I'm just guessing at possibilities.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that could be - I notice my adults seem a bit different after a long weekend when I've been at home most of the time...either they're extra fond, or a bit stand-offish. And everything is still so new for both of them - and I bet he may have missed being in the same room with you. My boy is actually my clingy cat - my girl likes to know where I am, but she's far more independent.

Do you have a new vet lined up, just in case? Why do I have the feeling you've already interviewed the top 10 vets in the city?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday gets in a funk whenever he has a hairball. I can always tell from the way he behaves. Once he gacks it up he perks right back up. I know to go look for it when he flies into the room and chirps at me. Maybe it's time for some hairball remedy?

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

Friday gets in a funk whenever he has a hairball. I can always tell from the way he behaves. Once he gacks it up he perks right back up. I know to go look for it when he flies into the room and chirps at me. Maybe it's time for some hairball remedy?
Moose gets extra hyper 3 - 4 days before before disgorging a hairball.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have a new vet lined up, just in case? Why do I have the feeling you've already interviewed the top 10 vets in the city?
Funny.
No interviews.

I do have a new vet lined up for them however.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 of mine seemed bummed out when I went back to work and was not home for a cuddle on demand. They got used to having me around all the time. Maybe Ollie just misses you and is adjusting to his new surroundings. That is a lot for one little guy. I hope he is back to himself soon.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was off last week. I returned on Monday, but it wasn't until today that I noticed that this morning Jordan seemed a little sad while i was getting ready & Isaac was in my face like, "Wait aren't you staying home with us?