Will they ever stop play fighting?

miss_kitty_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to ask a quick question my 1 year old cat and 10 week old kitten seem to be getting on now no hissing or growling but whenever they are out together (the kitten still has his own room for the minute) they seem to be fighting all the time, I was worried at first until I researched that what they seem to be doing is play fighting.

There are the occasional times when they will just sniff each other and then sit down, but they mostly chase each other and nibble at each other this goes on until they get worn out, then rest and then continue again. This can carry on from like 30 mins to an hour (or at least it seems like its that long) and then they just lay around near each other and occasionally tap each other on the foot. EDIT: They also like to tap and put their heads near each others butts, they will chase each other round reaching for each others butts.

Basically I'm just wondering if I should be worried whether it means they don't really like each other, or that they are just excited to have a play mate. Both are males, older cat has been "fixed" and we're just waiting til the kitten is old enough.

Also will they just stop play fighting as much once they are around each other more, I'm currently just a little nervous about how they act to allow them more than 3 hours together, and definitely no time unsupervised. Help please!

miss_kitty_

p.s sorry for waffling on and on. thanks x

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what you've described their loving their play time

As long as theres no blood being shed just let them have their fun. The sniffing is normal as well.

My Rosie is 7 and Jack is 2 and they play fight and wrestle every day.

How long have they been together?.

Do you just leave them together while your there?

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You really can't. As long as nobody gets hurt and both partiezs enjoy it, it is a completely normal (and cute!) behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss_kitty_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

From what you've described their loving their play time

How long have they been together?.

Do you just leave them together while your there?
I was hoping this was the case, they have only been interacting for about a week now as we only got the kitten two weeks ago and had been gradually introducing them. Most of the time the cats are in them same room as us because I was a little afraid of how they were acting.

Do you think it would be safe to let them roam the house together as long as we're home?

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two of mine are exactly like yours and I leave them together whether I'm home or not. They enjoy each others company, so why split them up.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would leave them together. My boys play like that everyday and have for 6 years
You really have to adjust to what is play because it can look rough. Mine are littermates and I have seen them do this since they were tiny. If I hadnt though, it would have concerned me, too.