Milk + Bread = ?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bag of milk (4L) + 2 loaves white bread (the cheapest) comes to $6.91

I sent my daughter to walmart yesterday for milk and bread. She handed me the reciept and I kinda had a flashback to when things were alot cheaper.

It wasn't that long ago that milk was $2.97 and bread was 0.99 (.79/sale).

I'm wonderring if any of you have had the above "flashback"/thoughts? What is and what was milk and bread costs where you are? Or what other item have you noticed the increase on?

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know lots of people hate the stuff but I buy the UHT milk ( It`s all they used to buy when I lived upstairs, we didn`t get a choice )

If I buy a box with 6 1litre cartons in it only costs £3.40
and lasts me a week or two.

Not sure how that translates into dollars

Bread, I don`t buy very often so not sure on that.

The thing I remember is when I was a lot younger and a packet of crisps were 10p, a can of coke was twenty something p...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I know lots of people hate the stuff but I buy the UHT milk ( It`s all they used to buy when I lived upstairs, we didn`t get a choice )

The thing I remember is when I was a lot younger and a packet of crisps were 10p, a can of coke was twenty something p...
Is your currency United Kingdom Pounds, if so, works out to bout $6.45 Canadian.....pretty close to what I pay... Unfortunately, 6L lasts under a week... 3 of us drink milk (my kids and hubby)

I remember back when the snack bags of chips were 50 cents, and we had penny candy....now chips are 0.99 and penny candy is now nickel candy (0.05cents instead of 0.01)

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when I spent a summer in Skagway, AK as a tour guide. Milk was about $8 a gallon and it would go bad in less than a week because it had taken so long for it to come on the barge. I don't remember what bread cost up there, but I do remember that a container of Tropicana orange juice (I think it was 3 quarts) was about $6.

I drink soy milk now, (I am in the midwest) and I have no idea what it costs. I don't really eat bread either.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Is your currency United Kingdom Pounds, if so, works out to bout $6.45 Canadian.....pretty close to what I pay... Unfortunately, 6L lasts under a week... 3 of us drink milk (my kids and hubby)

I remember back when the snack bags of chips were 50 cents, and we had penny candy....now chips are 0.99 and penny candy is now nickel candy (0.05cents instead of 0.01)
Yup, UK pound. I`m lucky I only have to feed myself and Sooty.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing that is really annoying about buying staples here in a tourist town is that the prices can literaly almost double overnight.
Now that we are into the peak time milk is $5.05 for 3 litres - bread $2.89 for a total of $7.94

Two weeks ago it was milk $4.05 -bread $ 2.09 = $6.14

This happens every summer, now the prices will go back down in the fall but it still doesn't seem fair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

One thing that is really annoying about buying staples here in a tourist town is that the prices can literaly almost double overnight.
Now that we are into the peak time milk is $5.05 for 3 litres - bread $2.89 for a total of $7.94

Two weeks ago it was milk $4.05 -bread $ 2.09 = $6.14

This happens every summer, now the prices will go back down in the fall but it still doesn't seem fair.
uggg.... No that isn't fair

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are paying about $2.50 (or less) for a gallon of 1% at Walmart for milk. Bread I have no clue. Hubby has been making our own bread for close to a year now, so we don't buy bread in the store any more.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

We are paying about $2.50 (or less) for a gallon of 1% at Walmart for milk.
Bread costs me about $2-$2.50/loaf at Wal-Mart, and lasts for week or more. I buy the bigger loafs that are free of high fructose corn syrup and have fiber in them.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A gallon of brand name skim milk is about $2.39 less if its a store brand.
I haven't had to pay for bread since I work at an artisan bakery. But our "cheapest" is $3.50/loaf (unless one has the $2.00 off if you buy two loaves coupon). The type I take home can range from $3.50 to $5.50/loaf (28 oz). Haven't bought the nasty grocery store bread in years!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Bag of milk (4L) + 2 loaves white bread (the cheapest) comes to $6.91

I sent my daughter to walmart yesterday for milk and bread. She handed me the reciept and I kinda had a flashback to when things were alot cheaper.

It wasn't that long ago that milk was $2.97 and bread was 0.99 (.79/sale).

I'm wonderring if any of you have had the above "flashback"/thoughts? What is and what was milk and bread costs where you are? Or what other item have you noticed the increase on?
The price of food is ridiculous!

I am lactose intolerant and can't buy regular milk. The price of a 2 litre lactaid milk is nearly $5.00. The price of bread depends on the type and size of the loaf you are buying. I tend to buy a large loaf of rye and it costs $3.99 per loaf. So that's $9.00 for just milk and bread.

If I were able to buy regular milk, the price is almost 1/2 of what I pay for the lactaid milk.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time I bought milk and bread, the milk was about $2.20 for 1 gallon & the bread was 3 loaves for $1.99, I guess thats not too bad.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I only buy boxed milk too (Parmalat) - I was SO happy to find it in the US!!! It is the only way I won't spoil milk I can just save it in the cabinet until I feel like drinking...

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am working towards doing as much as I can myself. I bought a breadmaker a year ago that has more than paid for itself and the bread I make is SO much better than any you can buy. A kilo ( 2.2 pound) bag of bread flour is 87 centimes (£1 near to 1$) in ALdi and makes me two wholemeal loaves that last a week each. And I am eating only my own vegetables now and freezing what I don't need right now. I have to buy everything else but I am planning on getting some chickens next year as home eggs taste so much better. I also make my own yoghurt, which is easy for anyone to do, then mix fruit into it for breakfast. When my own plums and apples are ready that will be wonderful. Yummy and cheap.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop at Aldi- milk costs $2.99 per gallon and bread is $0.79. I dunno how that converts into Canadian dollars- but if you go to most grocery stores milk is around $4 and bread around $2.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I only buy boxed milk too (Parmalat) - I was SO happy to find it in the US!!! It is the only way I won't spoil milk I can just save it in the cabinet until I feel like drinking...
I LOVE Parmalat.....I was raised on UHT milk (military base) and I still prefer it. When I buy milk, that's what I buy, but I don't buy milk very often because I have sensitivities. I keep powdered milk (whole milk, Mexican brand--non-fat powdered is nasty) on hand for cooking.

I buy the expensive, "crunchy", whole-grain, no HFCS kind of bread. I think it's around $3.25 a lof right now. The price goes up and down. White bread is like paper to me. Ugh. Although I liked it when I was little, but of course my mom only bought the whole-wheat bread, so white bread was kind of like a treat.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I LOVE Parmalat.....I was raised on UHT milk (military base) and I still prefer it. When I buy milk, that's what I buy, but I don't buy milk very often because I have sensitivities. I keep powdered milk (whole milk, Mexican brand--non-fat powdered is nasty) on hand for cooking.
Let me guess: Nido??? LOL - I LOVE Nido!! In Brasil we had a very similar one called "Ninho"... I just mix it with powdered chocolate, and eat it with a no water... Or I make a cream, with chocolate and a little bit of water... yum........!
Parmalat is very common in Brasil - I actually prefer it to the regular gallon milk. IMO it tastes better...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Let me guess: Nido??? LOL - I LOVE Nido!!
Yes! Nido. I forgot the name and I was too lazy to go look, LOL. Better than any of the other powdered milk brands out there, IMO. I have to buy it in the "hispanic" section at Wal-Mart, no other place sells it locally.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Yes! Nido. I forgot the name and I was too lazy to go look, LOL. Better than any of the other powdered milk brands out there, IMO. I have to buy it in the "hispanic" section at Wal-Mart, no other place sells it locally.
It's delicious!!! I always had id as a kid... The original is from Switzerland; I have no clue why there isn't an American version; it is not like Nestle is a small brand, after all... I also buy it at Walmart