Help! My pc crashed; I lost everything

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
DH was using it today; I wasn't here, so I don't know what he did. We lost everything; it seems to have reverted to the factory settings. Most stuff I don't care about (though I did have to re-register my password here), but I list my Kodak Easyshare pics--most aren't important, but the only ones I have of Hobbes & Willli, who died this year, are. Is there any way I can restore them? We didn't back anything up--which I know is stupid...thanks!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say crashed, what exactly do you mean?

Did the hard drive fail, or get damaged?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, write absolutely nothing on it.

You may have to have an expert go over it, but if you haven't done any writing to it, everything is usually salvageable.

We have experts on here who can tell you more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

When you say crashed, what exactly do you mean?

Did the hard drive fail, or get damaged?
I'm not sure, though I don't think it did (?). DH said he tried to turn the pc on; it displayed an error message =--something about "failed to shut down properly". then the pc went off by itself. He tried to start it again; it kept shutting down. He finally hit F10 (and I think he may have hit the RESTORE button, too!), and was able to get into the Net; but we lost all of our icons, bookmarks, and any programs we added, such as Kodak. The Inernet is running a lot faster now, though--one good thing, I guess.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

I'm not sure, though I don't think it did (?). DH said he tried to turn the pc on; it displayed an error message =--something about "failed to shut down properly". then the pc went off by itself. He tried to start it again; it kept shutting down. He finally hit F10 (and I think he may have hit the RESTORE button, too!), and was able to get into the Net; but we lost all of our icons, bookmarks, and any programs we added, such as Kodak. The Inernet is running a lot faster now, though--one good thing, I guess.
F10 + restore, restores your computer back to the factory settings unfortunately. You won't be able to find your pics. BUT....... they might still be on the hard drive, just not easily accessible. You could try phoning a place that does computer repairs and ask them if they do hard drive recovery and tell them what you did. It's not usually cheap, but worth it when our memories can be found again.

Hope that helps a little bit.