Missing Cat Help Please!!

sweetchinmusic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi im new to these threads, but just found this website on google, looks perfect! Im sure this forum is inundated with threads about missing cats, but i was hoping if you could help me?

My cat is 14 years old, and very healthy (according to the vet). My mother accidentally, locked her out the house on Tuesday midnight via the front door. She's a very indoor cat, and never goes out the front door (which is where she was locked out). We didnt realise till the morning, and have since been on duty 24 hours trying to find her. My sister is extremely distraught, as well as the rest of the family.

I've put posters up, gone around the roads and surrounding roads, posted flyers in every door, called all the local vets and pet rescue agencies etc, and no news as of yet. We suspect my mother locked her out, but arent entirely sure. If, god forbid, she has passed away somewhere close, we would have smelt her by now am i correct?

We really are unsure what to do of next, she meant a lot to all of us and that can be seen by me walking the roads at 2 am searching for her. We still hope she will come back, and pray everyday. Several friends have told us of stories where their cats have gone missing for days and have come back.

Please any help/tips/advice would be much appreciated.

Im sorry for writing such a long post, hopefully it shows just how important she was and is to all of us.

cattyclare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, I hope you find her!! Does she have a favorite toy that squeaks or a favorite treat that she knows the sound of the bag shaking?? Try that outside...I've read that indoor cats that do get outdoors usually don't go far...check every bush & tree you can find...under cars...houses everywhere. Also leave out some wet food / Tuna that might draw her to the house with the smell!!!

Please keep us posted on if you find her!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending you plenty of calming vibes to help you keep a soothing tone to your voice when calling. I agree with the above reply that inside cats often stay nearby, but very quiet. You can use a flashlight to look for shining eyes - I also jiggle mine, it seems to attract cats. Lots of mega prayers that she returns home soon
Please keep us posted!
P.S. And welcome to TCS!!!
Susan

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I hope you find her! I also find that whenever my indoor-only cat goes outside and is reluctant to come back inside that playing with her favourite toy on the front doorstep is a good way to get her to show herself! If she has a laser toy or some sort of a fishing rod toy that might be a good way to fetch her home.

Is she microchipped?

Best wishes.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel for you. One of mine went missing for two days last week and I was beside myself. Fortunately he made it back home. For an inside cat that does not normally go out, you need to attract her by means of smells and sounds that she will come to. Sprinkle some used litter (if you still have any) around the door and path, play any music you often have on, and yes, speak in a soft voice as you call her. Favourite and smelly foods can help too. The best time is often the middle of the night to sit outside and call quietly. Good luck, I am sure she she is not far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetchinmusic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the help and advice, she means a lot to us all as a family so hopefully she will come back. I'll try some of those methods today, hopefully with luck she will come back. Thing which is worrying my mother is that its so hot at the moment. I live in London, so we are usually used to rubbish weather lol. With it being so hot during the day it makes us worry even more.

Seriously thanks for the advice, and i will keep posting.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweetchinmusic

Thank you for all the help and advice, she means a lot to us all as a family so hopefully she will come back. I'll try some of those methods today, hopefully with luck she will come back. Thing which is worrying my mother is that its so hot at the moment. I live in London, so we are usually used to rubbish weather lol. With it being so hot during the day it makes us worry even more.

Seriously thanks for the advice, and i will keep posting.
With the weather being what it is there, leave bowls of ice water out, lots of them, near bushes, near where anywhere she may be hiding to escape the heat. Leave a trail of them, leading back to home. Keep calling to her, get low while you search, cats hide

Come home now, your family and new friends here are worried about you!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My indoor boy got out once but he stayed around the vacinity of the house. He kept under the bushes. It wouldn't surprise me if she is around there some. Many Prayers and that she comes home safe.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look under all the cars in the vicinity. This works best at night, with a flashlight, so you can see the eyes glowing.

Put a really dirty, smelly T shirt that you have worn all day outside, on the porch, under a bowl of food.

Put her litter box on the porch.

When you put up signs, mention that she needs medication, whether or not that's true. No one wants to keep a sick animal.

Ask any kids you see about her, and offer them a small reward. You'd be surprised how much a 10-year-old knows about the neighborhood, and what he'll do for $10.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CattyClare is right, they usually don't go far if they're used to being inside. But they're scared, and don't react like they would inside. Notably, they usually don't come when called, and may even run from you if you approach her. They will hide, so you must look in even tiny places. Under porches, bushes, drain pipes. If you find her or see her, before approaching her, try sitting down with your side to her and talk softly to her - she'll probaby come to you at that point.

But like Jenny said, while searching, use familiar scents and sounds to help. And definitely leave food and water out for her. It may attract other cats or animals, but hopefully it will help her find her way back home if you can't find her.

Laurie

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I`m so sorry to hear about your cat.
Cat newbie here to I can`t add much other than my warm thoughts and prayers. Only thing I can think of is try and do a sitting rotation around your place and move out gradually? Chances are she will see you/smell you before you notice her.Maybe call or talk outloud in a tone of voice she relates with happy times? Somebody posted the sound idea of enlisting the local kids to help.Would she go up into the trees?Perhaps a dog or other stray chased her up one...? Don`t give up yet,k?

God Bless
HosMan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetchinmusic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No luck as of yet. Each day, it gets harder for everyone in the family. We've gone knocking on all the locals showing a picture and still no luck. I tried the litter and food outside the porch and back, but the food seems to have be eaten, probably by a random cat/fox. Im not too sure about the food, as if it attracts other cats mine may get scared. She was often scared of other cats.