Questions about Ragdolls

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently pet sitting at a home with 4 Ragdoll cats. In doing so, I discovered that a stray cat we had last summer (who we sadly lost to FeLuk) was at least mostly Ragdoll if not purebred. Hard to say with a stray.

Anyway, I've noticed that all the cats I'm sitting plus the stray have very similar personalities. They're all friendly, affectionate and laid back. Is this typical of the breed? If so, I'm a BIG fan!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never had a ragdoll, but that is their reputation. They're gorgeous, too!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is

Their laid back temperments is one of the lures they use to suck us humans into their grasp

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes its pretty typical of the breed. But I've seen some Raggys act up on occasion. So they are not always so friendly or laid back.....

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely.
So laid back they're called a "ragdoll."

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but all the ragdolls I've met live up to their reputation.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

But I've seen some Raggys act up on occasion. So they are not always so friendly or laid back.....
I didn't post before, but since you brought it up, I have a friend who judges, they are the breed she sees act up most and unable to judge. Also turned into shelters in high numbers due to behaviour issues.

There must be some that are relaxed.....

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've met many that aren't laid back either but all the Raggies I've seen at peoples homes have been laid back. They are a really sweet breed however - IMO not as laid back as Persians though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know that I'd ever seek a cat from a breeder as I'm typically full of cats who showed up needing homes. If I did get one from a breeder, what I've seen of Ragdolls would make them high on my list of possible choices. Though, Maine Coons have a special place for me too!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are certainly beautiful cats, but they wouldn't be my first choice. My friend has one and it is extremely, extremely shy. It hides the whole time she has anyone over. That's a trait I don't personally like and considering they are around $700 for pet quality, not one I would spend that much money on.

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I now have two Ragdolls and they both are very loving. One is a kitten, and of course he plays a lot and gets in trouble sometimes....
The other one we just adopted and she is still somewhat shy. She is a 6 year old retired queen and is warming up to us as the days go by. She also talks A LOT compared to Halo. They are both purebred and registered, but there are a few differences between their personalities, but nothing major.
I love Ragdolls, they fit us perfectly. They are both being raised with children and other people. They are laid back though, they play, they eat, but they rest quite a bit.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two Ragdolls who are almost 2yo, and they are both very friendly and laid back. Griffin is much lazier than the mischievous Bastian, but both cats like to be held, played with, and cuddled. Bastian is somewhat dog-like in that he has to come and greet every visitor who comes to the house! They are two of the best cats I've ever known.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

They are a really sweet breed however - IMO not as laid back as Persians though
I couldn't agree more.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

I'm currently pet sitting at a home with 4 Ragdoll cats. In doing so, I discovered that a stray cat we had last summer (who we sadly lost to FeLuk) was at least mostly Ragdoll if not purebred. Hard to say with a stray.

Anyway, I've noticed that all the cats I'm sitting plus the stray have very similar personalities. They're all friendly, affectionate and laid back. Is this typical of the breed? If so, I'm a BIG fan!
I love my Ragdoll. Definitely laid back, more friendly than my other cats with strangers. he's just basically really, really cool, LOL!