TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Sarah Palin running in 2012?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sarah Palin running in 2012? - Page 3

post #61 of 74
You did. And many others did also, even on this thread, constantly criticizing her looks, glasses and hair.
I think it is very petty, buy, hey, that's just me.
post #62 of 74
By the way, maybe you can tell I have some strong feelings about this general problem, if not about Palin herself.

I have a sister-in-law who went to Alaska to teach. After living there a few years, she came back home and got married. She had a baby with Downs Syndrome who subsequently died in France due to the incompetent French health system.

You would think this woman would be a died-in-the-wool Republican and love Sarah Palin. But no, she still loves the Democratic Party and is all in favor of a French-style health system. This is a total denial of logic.

The same thing is true of Bill Clinton. He embarassed his party repeatedly. He was at the least a serial sexual harasser, and was fairly convincingly alleged to be a rapist. Yet, just because he was a Democrat, womens' groups continued to support him, even love him (and this includes my sister-in-law).

I'm an independent, so I have no trouble saying they're all politicians and you need to pick your battles, not your heroes. But somehow, so few people seem to be capable of seeing anyone on "their side" as anything but perfect. It just drives me crazy.
post #63 of 74
Not me, mrblanche, not anymore, I think both parties suck, the Pubs just suck a little less than the Dems.
post #64 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
As a former resident of Arkansas, oddly enough, "erratic" and "disorganized" are two of the adjectives most of us applied to Bill Clinton as governor. Didn't seem to hurt his run for President, even quitting the governorship suddenly, without warning, when he had promised he wouldn't.
Um, color me confused, but the only time I could find that he ever resigned from the governorship was December 12, 1992. According to Wikipedia, he was governor from '79 to '81 when he lost the election, and then again from '83 until December of 1992. So, the guy had just been elected President and you were surprised when he quit? Were you amazed when President-elect Obama resigned his Senate seat too?
post #65 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogs View Post
Um, color me confused, but the only time I could find that he ever resigned from the governorship was December 12, 1992. According to Wikipedia, he was governor from '79 to '81 when he lost the election, and then again from '83 until December of 1992. So, the guy had just been elected President and you were surprised when he quit? Were you amazed when President-elect Obama resigned his Senate seat too?
In Arkansas a person is governor for only two years? That is weird.
post #66 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
In Arkansas a person is governor for only two years? That is weird.
Yeah, I thought so too. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The first state constitution of 1836 established four-year terms for governors,[2], which was lowered to two years in the 1874, and current, constitution.[3] Amendment 63 to the Arkansas Constitution, passed in 1984, increased the terms of both governor and lieutenant governor to four years.[4] Governors were originally limited only to serving more than eight out of every twelve years,[2] but the 1874 constitution removed any term limit. A referendum in 1992 limited governors to two terms.[5]
post #67 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogs View Post
Um, color me confused, but the only time I could find that he ever resigned from the governorship was December 12, 1992. According to Wikipedia, he was governor from '79 to '81 when he lost the election, and then again from '83 until December of 1992. So, the guy had just been elected President and you were surprised when he quit? Were you amazed when President-elect Obama resigned his Senate seat too?
But he had promised not to run for President, and to complete his term. He didn't do that. Of course he resigned as governor after he was elected. But that wasn't the point, and it wasn't what he promised to do.
post #68 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
But he had promised not to run for President, and to complete his term. He didn't do that. Of course he resigned as governor after he was elected. But that wasn't the point, and it wasn't what he promised to do.
But your point seemed to be that Clinton did the same thing as Sarah Palin but, I presume, because he was a Democrat it was OK. Comparing the two is apples and oranges. Clinton quit because he had been elected to a higher office, not suddenly and unxepectedly. Palin quit for who knows what reason. If she just doesn't want to be a politician anymore, no problem. But what would have happened if she were Vice President now? Would President McCain be looking for a new Vice President? If she gets elected in 2012, will she decide after a couple of years that she'd rather take care of her family?

What Clinton did do was break a campaign promise. His opponent in '92 had promised "Read my lips, no new taxes!", so he was in pretty good company. Sadly, breaking campaign promises is the norm, regardless of political party.
post #69 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogs View Post
But your point seemed to be that Clinton did the same thing as Sarah Palin but, I presume, because he was a Democrat it was OK. Comparing the two is apples and oranges. Clinton quit because he had been elected to a higher office, not suddenly and unxepectedly. Palin quit for who knows what reason. If she just doesn't want to be a politician anymore, no problem. But what would have happened if she were Vice President now? Would President McCain be looking for a new Vice President? If she gets elected in 2012, will she decide after a couple of years that she'd rather take care of her family?

What Clinton did do was break a campaign promise. His opponent in '92 had promised "Read my lips, no new taxes!", so he was in pretty good company. Sadly, breaking campaign promises is the norm, regardless of political party.
Sarah Palin did give her reasons for resigning. I think they were good ones and I don't blame her one bit.
post #70 of 74
I don't know. I wouldn't vote for Palin, just because it's fairly obvious she can't run her own household, and there's no reason to let her run mine.

And that speech was so bizarre, I'd want everything she ingested that day checked for hallucinogens.

However, I DO think she had valid reasons to be very unhappy with the way she'd been treated by both the media and political operatives (on both sides of the aisle) since her nomination as VP.
post #71 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post

Have you ever quit a job? I have.



It's sad that many people hate her and try their best to denigrate her. She exposed corruption in her own party, I guess that is why some Republicans don't like her, that must be the reason why the Democrats don't like her. After all, we can't have politicians exposing corruption, she might expose US.

And darn it all, that woman, Sarah Palin, walks the walk being pro-life and having a Down's baby, who does she think she is bringing a child like that into the world when she could have killed it.

And people's reasons for hating her are, so lame, especially, when he take into consideration, Joe Biden.

I think the entire thing is disgusting how mean people in this country have become.

I find it sad that people attack people that do not like Sarah Palin saying that The democrats don't like her for some of the reasons you say.
This is just not true of most people who do not like her.
It has nothing to do with exposing corruption in her own party. It has nothing to do with her down syndrome baby. There are usually always good things that politicians do but there are also usually things that are bad. It is usually a matter of choosing who you think is best. I want someone that can unite this country. Pointing fingers at one party or one group of People does not help with uniting this country. Using one idiotic thing that someone says about her and saying that that whole party or whole group of people hate her for that reason is stupid. All it is does is turn people against each other. I don't think sarah Palin can unite this country. It doesnt mean she is or isnt a good political figure. It just means that right now she does not have those skills. I also think she needs to learn to listen to both sides of a situation and react differently when she doesn't agree with something.

Instead of using excuses or blaming the media or certain groups on why she has the reputation she does is the wrong way to go. To me it makes her look worse. Instead of doing this she just needs to try to prove me and them wrong.
post #72 of 74
I don't believe she can unite the country now either. But frankly I can't think of anyone who can-certainly not Obama! I think she's been maligned so much by her detractors and those intent on undermining her accomplishments that any effectiveness she had to govern has been destroyed. Unfortunately those bent on bringing her down come from both parties, and some from her own campaign team. Sad, just sad.
post #73 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazycatlover View Post
I find it sad that people attack people that do not like Sarah Palin saying that The democrats don't like her for some of the reasons you say.
This is just not true of most people who do not like her.
It has nothing to do with exposing corruption in her own party. It has nothing to do with her down syndrome baby. There are usually always good things that politicians do but there are also usually things that are bad. It is usually a matter of choosing who you think is best. I want someone that can unite this country. Pointing fingers at one party or one group of People does not help with uniting this country. Using one idiotic thing that someone says about her and saying that that whole party or whole group of people hate her for that reason is stupid. All it is does is turn people against each other. I don't think sarah Palin can unite this country. It doesnt mean she is or isnt a good political figure. It just means that right now she does not have those skills. I also think she needs to learn to listen to both sides of a situation and react differently when she doesn't agree with something.

Instead of using excuses or blaming the media or certain groups on why she has the reputation she does is the wrong way to go. To me it makes her look worse. Instead of doing this she just needs to try to prove me and them wrong.
You mean like Barack does by blaming President Bush and Republicans for everything?

You mean like Barack did the other day by making the Gates thing into a race issue?

Oh yeah, that goes a lonnnnggggg way towards bringing the country together.

And if you think it was, "just one idiotic thing that someone says about her", well, then you just haven't kept up with the Sarah Palin saga.

How about that Baby Trig realling isn't Sarah's, Trig is really a love child between Sarah's hubby Todd and his own daughter Bristol? And on and on and on ad nauseum.

Good grief an entire battalion of Palin haters descended on Wasilla within one week of her getting the nomination to dig all the dirt they could on her. When there wasn't any, they started making up stuff.

It has been non stop insults, lies, frivolous lawsuits, attacks and slander ever since she got the VP nomination for no reason whatsoever, just because. IMO, many Democrats descended to the depths with the way they treated Palin. There will be no bringing the country together for a long time IMO.
post #74 of 74
Yes, and I'm very disappointed that McCain didn't come to her defense, especially after the election when the accusuations and name-calling came from her own party.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Sarah Palin running in 2012?