Would you use byproducts in an otherwise good food?

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For example, some Abady and Fancy Feast cat foods are pretty good except that they contain byproducts. Would you feed them? Personally, I would. It's not like cats in the wild only eat "choice cuts".

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally will not feed any food with by-products because we don't really know what is in the by-products.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I will feed byproducts, as IMHO not all byproducts are bad. I won't feed unnamed "meat byproducts" though.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Yes I will feed byproducts, as IMHO not all byproducts are bad. I won't feed unnamed "meat byproducts" though.
I don't have a problem with byproducts as long as they're identified clearly and not a main ingredient.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will over using foods with artificial colors , flavors and chemical preservatives ... Meat by products would be the last ones I would use ... I prefer named organs: chicken liver, hearts

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I personally will not feed any food with by-products because we don't really know what is in the by-products.
Exactly. I absolutely refuse to put those kinds of things into my animals' bodies, and besides the fact that byproducts are not good, solid ingredients, when you read the label who knows what it even means when it says it has byproducts in it?

A friend of mine's SO used to work in the slaughter house and he told me just in general what kind of things considered byproducts they threw into the "pet food bin." I almost vomited seeing as my animals were eating low quality foods with that kind of thing inside it. Haven't fed them anything like that again. I also very rarely see byproducts on the ingredient list without other low quality ingredients at best, or harmful ingredients at worst.