Adding door to box without rocking boat!

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay folks..need advice. Gigi has been GREAT since day ONE with her litterbox use. No accidents, not even once. I clean the boxes religiously (one little one in her playpen and the large one out on the floor). The dogs sometimes get into the large hooded box before I do if I'm in the middle of something when Gigi poops. The box came with a door but I took it off. How do I wean her onto using the door without losing her good litter habits? I sure don't want to do anything to throw her off and destroy her perfect potty habits!!! Thanks

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want the door up to keep the dogs out, it won't work. They'll just push it open and help themselves.

Can I ask why you want the door on it, particularly if you are being meticulous with cleaning it? I live with a bunch of cats that hate any covered box, and I don't think mine would ever use one with a door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I figured it would slow them down long enough for me to get to it first! They're more likely to give up if they have to push a door open. That said, it does seem kind of silly, I suppose. My cat has no problem with the cover. In fact when I remove the cover to scoop the box, she goes back in the hole of the cover as it sits, on the floor, just to see what new hiding place she has found as if it were something novel again. She was raised with a hooded box so I suppose that's why she has no problem with it. If no one thinks I should bother with the door I won't. I"ve also thought of having my husband build a wooden cabinet for the box to dog proof it for REAL. Gigi is a super good kitty and I sure don't want to rock her world if I can help it! Thanks....

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allmycats

I"ve also thought of having my husband build a wooden cabinet for the box to dog proof it for REAL.
I have 3 of those and the dogs still manage to poke their heads inside (not the best design but someone gave them to me so they were free). You'd have to be really careful about how it is built - make it very large so you can push the litter box far from the opening, and make it tall inside to give them space. Those are cool if built correctly.