Wellington has lost his voice

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned this in SOS but I thought I would put a thread here in case the other is not seen by someone who knows. Since he came back from his traumatic disappearance Wellington has not uttered a word. He is normally extremely vocal and talks to me and the others all the time. Is this normal with shock? Or could he have damaged his vocal chords as his collar srtetched before it broke (it was a safety one)? He is eating OK so his mouth and throat are OK. I didn't mention it at the vet because it was only an hour after his return and I had not noticed he was silent.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny, I for sure don't know. I would maybe just call the vet and ask since he's already seen Wellington. I suppose it's possible he is just traumatized and will be back to normal soon, hopefully.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only explanation I can think of is that perhaps he was calling and calling for help, awful thing to think about I know
, and has just lost his voice for a bit. If he doesn't get it back in a day or so then I would start to worry

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

The only explanation I can think of is that perhaps he was calling and calling for help, awful thing to think about I know
, and has just lost his voice for a bit. If he doesn't get it back in a day or so then I would start to worry
That's my thoughts as well. Sophie cries and cries at the door if it's not open to the conservatory and ends up with a raspy voice, but the following day she's fine.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

That's what I was thinking. I'd also give it another day, and then call the vet.
that he'll get his voice back soon.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thoughts were the same, that perhaps he strained his throat. Another though I have is that maybe when he was stuck his instinct to remain as quiet as possible to not draw attention to himself from predators kicked in, and he is still in that mode? Wish I could be more help and hope he gets his voice back soon!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't see the post in SOS, but I'm so glad he's home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope he finds his voice and it's just shock, nothing actually wrong.
I have to go read the SOS thread, but how's Biscotte?

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard him give a very small meow once today, but otherwise he is much better. Biscotte is shadowing him again but they are not yet curled up together and she need s a lot of loving from me. I think he still wants to be left alone much of the time - he did purr though, very loudly, when I took him on my lap last night. The vet thinks he has strained his vocal chords by meowing for help, and that it will improve.