Migraine fun

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know many of us suffer from them on here.
Has anyone experienced muscle fatigue? The aura is the first sign. Now with having a baby I have noticed muscle fatigue. It was always part of my migraine but now I am afraid to go near him during one. First my muscles tighten while my left arm goes numb. Last night my left hand felt like it was on fire.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only times my migraines affect my muscles is as they are easing, my whole body is fatigued, and I need to rest. If I have to do something, I need to be very cautious about what it is I'm doing as I have been known to drop things in that state.

In my case, it is not like yours as in being a specific muscle....it is that migraines drain me of strength.

Sorry, no help

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few times when I`ve had a migraine I`ve had weakness in one arm. It kind of feels like it`s not my arm but it didn`t last too long.

If it`s something new to you, you might want to get checked out to make sure everthings ok. Hope you feel better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

A few times when I`ve had a migraine I`ve had weakness in one arm. It kind of feels like it`s not my arm but it didn`t last too long.

If it`s something new to you, you might want to get checked out to make sure everthings ok. Hope you feel better
TY
That's exactly how it feels! It isn't new but just more noticeable since I have to carry heavy things now.
I am definitely going to tell my FP in two weeks.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that as well, but I didn't notice the correlation until recently. Thankfully I usually only get about 10 a year- sometimes more- and almost always right after my period.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

I get that as well, but I didn't notice the correlation until recently. Thankfully I usually only get about 10 a year- sometimes more- and almost always right after my period.
I was marking them down last year and found I was getting it a week before my period. That wouldn't be the case this time but my cycle isn't normal yet either.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I have found that taking magnesium and calcium supplements has been preventing mine. They would hit around the beginning of my cycle after I got off of BC pills.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have migraines, but have done research on them for someone I know. Jana's right - if you're not taking a 2:1 Magnesium/Calcium supplement, you should be. The minimum should be 600mg magnesium and 300mg calcium. Most people I know take 1000mg magnesium and 500mg calcium. You should also take a B2 supplement, 50mg. If you're not taking any triptans, you can try taking EITHER St. John's Wort or Kudzu Root, both available at health food stores.

Laurie

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I have found that taking magnesium and calcium supplements has been preventing mine. They would hit around the beginning of my cycle after I got off of BC pills.
Originally Posted by LDG

I don't have migraines, but have done research on them for someone I know. Jana's right - if you're not taking a 2:1 Magnesium/Calcium supplement, you should be. The minimum should be 600mg magnesium and 300mg calcium. Most people I know take 1000mg magnesium and 500mg calcium. You should also take a B2 supplement, 50mg. If you're not taking any triptans, you can try taking EITHER St. John's Wort or Kudzu Root, both available at health food stores.

Laurie
Ladies thanks so much for your advice. I am definitely going to look into this. I was just thinking about vitamins while giving my son a bath (yea I know weird timing right). My thought was how I was on prenatal vitamins and didn't have a migraine. hmmm TY

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely give a thumbs up to the B12 supplement, as well I have heard that Evening Primrose oil is also good. This may sound odd but have you tried aroma therapy. One of the girls I work with goes to a homeopath and she had a lavender inhaler made up, she swears that if she feels a headache coming on if she can lay down for a bit and uses the inhaler for about 1/2 hour the headache just doesn't happen.....

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I get generalized fatigue with my migraines, but have never had problems with it affecting just one area of my body. I hope the mentioned supplements can help you!

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, would the magnesium/calcium/b-vitamin supplements help other types of headaches? My mother suffers from migraines, but most of the time I don't think my headaches are migraines. They are just CHRONIC aaaallll the time tension headaches that start in my neck and the very back of my skull. Perhaps the supplements could help a little? Just curious!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

I would definitely give a thumbs up to the B12 supplement, as well I have heard that Evening Primrose oil is also good. This may sound odd but have you tried aroma therapy. One of the girls I work with goes to a homeopath and she had a lavender inhaler made up, she swears that if she feels a headache coming on if she can lay down for a bit and uses the inhaler for about 1/2 hour the headache just doesn't happen.....
Would you believe I am allergic to 99% of the aroma therapy scents. LoL
Thanks for the idea though.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

Just out of curiosity, would the magnesium/calcium/b-vitamin supplements help other types of headaches? My mother suffers from migraines, but most of the time I don't think my headaches are migraines. They are just CHRONIC aaaallll the time tension headaches that start in my neck and the very back of my skull. Perhaps the supplements could help a little? Just curious!
Unfortunately, they aren't helping my stress headaches. Stretching and deep breathing help more there.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The mechanism of action between migraines and other types of headaches is different, so I'm not so sure what works for migraines works for other headaches. I know there is cross-over between migraines and clusters - but that's because there's so little research done on clusters that they throw migraine meds at them and sometimes they work. But the problem with migraines and clusters are based in brain chemistry more than anything else (primarily serotonin levels), and other types of headaches (tension being muscle issues, sinus being inflammation issues) have different causes, so I doubt what helps with a migraine would help a different type of headache.

But there's a lot of research, information, and likely forums out there - shouldn't take too long with a couple of google searches to find out what (besides NSAIDs) may help the type of headache you have.

Laurie

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

In my case, it is not like yours as in being a specific muscle....it is that migraines drain me of strength.
same here - i call it a 'migraine hangover'. happens after the pain has departed.

what type of meds are you on for your migraines? perhaps a change would help?