Galileo no longer mine

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a call yesterday from my friend who I took Galileo from as her little boy was allergic to him. So they let me have him and then they went off on holiday. They came back yesterday. She gave me a ring today to tell me that her little boy isn't allergic to the cat he just has exzema and they want the kitten back. If it had been just her I'd have given up a bit of a fight, I've been paying for this kitten for the past two weeks under the idea he is now mine, I've grown very attached. The only thing is I could hear her little boy in the background saying " are we getting him back mum " and for his sake I'd give him his pet back.

I can't help feeling I've been used as a kitten drop off point so they could go on holiday and that isnt fair on me or the kitten poor Galileo I guess he isn't mine after all..

They're coming for him tomorow at six ....

Guess one plus they'll be a very happy little boy tomorow *hmm sigh*..

time to get the chocolate out

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow... I hope you are using the term friend lightly. It really does sound like you were used as a free babysitter for their kitten. I really don't see how you get diagnosed with allergies right before vacation time and then somehow miraculously while you were on vacation it turns out its not allergies. Unless they spent their holiday in the hospital getting tests.

Personally if one of my "friends" did this to me I would make them reimburse me for anything I purchased or any vet care I got for the kitten before handing him over. No one should be used like that.

I would also be wary that this person also gave the cat away once and changed her mind, what is to stop her from doing it again when more "allergies" pop up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should re phrase a person who used to be my friend *cough* apparently she took her son to the doctors today and they told her he is not allergic to pets and just has exzema. Now I wonder why you wouldnt take your son to the doctors first to check that before giving away a pet that he loves....

She even had the cheek to say "did he get that off your cats" when I told her he had conjunctivitis ( I know its possible but oooh just the way she said it)
Not a "Oh thanks for looking after him, is he ok now? It didn't cost you too much money did it?"

Truth is it cost me £30 and a weekend out with my friends as I was worried about the poor baby..

Some people hay

Still it makes it not so painful knowing that little boy will be so excited tonight knowing hes getting his kitten back .. aww life is full of ups and downs

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t give back the cat. They gave this cat to you. I would tell your “friend†in a very polite way that she gave you the impression that she GAVE you this cat and you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t understand why she would expect you to give him back.

Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t worry about the kid, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know how long they had him but from your story I am guessing not long, he will bond with another kitten.

If I were you I wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even consider giving this cat back. You canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t give someone something, especially something a person will create a deep bond with and then just decide to take it back. Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s horrible.

Keep the cat, donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be shy, they are obviously not. Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t allow yourself to get stepped on by your friend. She gave you something, its rude, and uncalled for for her to expect him back.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe when you hand him over you should give her the bill for your expenses over the past 2 weeks?
She probably wont pay but she might realise you know what she was up to.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ooh, it just burns me when someone thinks it's OK to pass a living creature around like it were a thing. Just when the cat has adjusted to you she wants it back. GRRRRR. Poor kitty needs a bit of stability in it's life, and someone who will take him to the vet when needed, not look for someone to blame for his illness!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a stinky situation! I feel so bad for you. Anyway you can keep him?

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwww that really sucks!! SHe cant just expect to give the kitten to you and then take it back. That is just wrong. I agree with she should have checked if her son had allergies before she gave up the kitten, its her fault not yours. I hope you get to keep him!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give him back!

I have eczema, and it can be triggered by allergies. What happens when he breaks out again? The kitten will be blamed and passed along one more time.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd tell her that you were under the impression that the cat was a gift, and that you have become fond of the cat, and that you have spent a significant amount of money on it, and that you are keeping it. Tell her that if she wants it back she can sue you.

Then get an affidavit from the vet about the condition the cat was in after being with these people. Be sure that it isn't just a letter, but get it sworn to before a notary or registrar or recorder.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How irresponsible of her. I would give her a sound telling off. Something like, "You should have had your son's allergies checked before you tried to get rid of the kitten. I've already invested quite a bit of time and money in him, so you can't just have him back." See what she says to that.

amanda_rice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is total crap!!!! She didn't ask you to watch him....she asked you to take him because of the "allergies" which implies a certain permanence in the situation. Plus, now that you have spent your time and money on this kitten, she should reimburse you for that. I agree, when she comes to pick him up, give her a bill for food, boarding, vet care and entertainment. I just HATE people that feel animals are possessions rather than living, feeling beings.

I totally understand feeling bad for the little boy, but his momma isn't teaching him anything by her actions. In my humble opinion, all she is showing her son is a person can get away with anything as long as they have a good enough excuse.

My heart goes out to you.....

myfamiliars

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. That's some nerve. I am sorry that your 'friend' has done this to you. I would hesitate giving the kitten back because she sounds like she would give him up again at the slightest difficulty. Poor kitty. Poor you. I hope there's some way you can keep him.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, she should have thought about her sons allergies before she even brought an animal into the house. One of my dogs had been passed around so much that when I got her at 15 weeks I was at least her fourth owner! Talk about a nuerotic puppy, it's taken another 5 months to get her over being afraid of everything and start acting happy.

Cats adjust better than dogs I think, but even so, before adopting people should try to determine if they can keep the animal it's entire life and pass on it if there are reasons why they couldn't.

I think at the least you should ask her to think long and hard if this is going to be a permanant move or if she is likely to disrupt his little world again. If she isn't sure she will keep him she should just leave him with you. It might make the little boy happy to have him back, but to lose him a second time would be even harder on him too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My "friend" came round today with her little boy. Her little boy was exstatic jumping up and down saying "Patches Patches!" But I put my foot down and said I was not letting her take him without paying for the care I've been giving him.

I had her cornered
she looked very mad when I explained the vet charges £30 and then his food had cost me about £20 and I didnt ask for anything for his care.

Some thing really stuck to me tho, when they were leaving her son very innocently (hes only 4!) had a big grin and said to me "Thanks for looking after Patches

They better look after that kitten. Im not really sure ive done the right thing. Right now I wish I hadnt given him over I did feel pressured. Anyway its done now and theres a very happy little boy in Leeds

Times like these makes you glad you got real friends even if they are furry ^_^ lol mm sad

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so mad at the whole situation! Some people just make my blood boil! If I were you I wouldn't give the kitten back either. Poor Gallileo! And poor you. It's unfair for this whole rotten situation.

brunhilda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is in the best case, cavalier about cat ownership, and in the worst case manipulative. Keep the cat, ditch the friend.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BaloneysMom

Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t give back the cat. They gave this cat to you. I would tell your “friend†in a very polite way that she gave you the impression that she GAVE you this cat and you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t understand why she would expect you to give him back.

Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t worry about the kid, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know how long they had him but from your story I am guessing not long, he will bond with another kitten.

If I were you I wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even consider giving this cat back. You canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t give someone something, especially something a person will create a deep bond with and then just decide to take it back. Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s horrible.

Keep the cat, donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be shy, they are obviously not. Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t allow yourself to get stepped on by your friend. She gave you something, its rude, and uncalled for for her to expect him back.
I agree, I would not give the cat back either.