I dropped Shadow off at the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's not doing well. He's been hyperthyroid for a couple of years now but lately he's gotten thin. I give him his medication for it but it doesn't seem to help, he's not putting any weight back on. He spends all of his time underneath the bed and in the living room. He won't lay on his side, but kind of lays on his stomach. It kind of reminds me of what Midnight would do when her kidneys failed. The vet said his heartbeat was irregular and galloping. She said he could have heart disease but she won't know anything for sure until she runs some tests. She's going to do some blood work, x-ray his chest, and give him some fluids. I can't tell if he's eating or not. I've seen him drink some and he has used the litter box. He also hasn't been walking steadily with his back legs. If he tries to go faster than a walk he gets wobbly and falls down. He's been with me for 15 years, it makes me cry to see him like this.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh dear
I'm so sorry you and Shadow are going thru this, Bryan!
many vibes for the both of you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the well wishes and prayers.

Shadow is staying at the hospital overnight. I left him there only because I was supposed to work all night. I talked to Dr. K when after I left school. She said the x-rays showed fluid buildup outside of his lung, which is a sign of heart disease. I'll have the blood work results tomorrow. She said he seemed to take a little to the sub-q fluids. She also said that she could try to drain as much of the fluid from around his lungs as she can and get him started on heart medication but that we would need to get him eating again. I'm hoping his kidneys are still fine.

Despite being ill and not feeling well he doesn't seem to be in pain. I also don't think that he is ready to give up just yet. I think if we get some of the fluid off of his lungs and get him to start eating again that he has a fighting chance. I think I at least owe it to him to try. This isn't a decision I came to lightly. I've been wrestling with what to do all day and evening- with a lot of tears. I'm fully aware that I need to do what is best for him. I don't get the same feeling with him that I got from Midnight but I'm prepared, as best as I can be anyway, if I have to make that decision.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I'm at a crossroads.

Thanks.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe the vet said he has Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. I remembered the first word.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my.....I am so sorry for Shadows discomfort
! It sounds like he is facing a very serious ailment. Maia and I are sending vibes his way.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Cheylink. I'm still not totally decided on what is the best course of action. I'm thinking I need to see what the results of the blood tests are first.

Does anyone have, or had, a cat with hyperthyroidism and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?

I hate being alone with my thoughts. I'm tired, in a state of shock, and down. I feel the same way I did before I had to make the decision to let Midnight go.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got off the phone with the vet. His kidney levels are elevated, too. She said it would be very difficult to try and find a balance between the three problems. I'm crushed. I love him too much for him to suffer and I don't want to prolong it.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

I just got off the phone with the vet. His kidney levels are elevated, too. She said it would be very difficult to try and find a balance between the three problems. I'm crushed. I love him too much for him to suffer and I don't want to prolong it.
I am so sorry to hear this

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending a
to help you at this time. It is a hard, hard decision to make.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

He's gone, and I miss him. I love you so, so much Shadow.

Status
Not open for further replies.