TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › I glued one paw shut on Ally and Ollie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I glued one paw shut on Ally and Ollie

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I was trying to get Soft Claws on Ally and Ollie. Ally was pretty easy as she fell asleep in my lap while I put them on. I accidentally slipped though and one came off. The glue remained on the claw though and caused the fur around it to get stuck. The slit for the claw is glued shut now.

Ollie has 2 like this because he freaked out while I tried getting them on. I was only able to get a little over half on before he growled and lightly bit me letting me know enough is enough for the moment.

The glue is dry. Will it open up relatively soon? Do they need to go to the vet?
post #2 of 12
They don't need to see the vet. Just wait another day so that they groom their paws and get rid of the glue residue. This happens with Jake a lot, some glue always gets out and onto his paws. He grooms it and gets rid of it though. The glue is not dangerous, it says so on the softpaws site.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
They don't need to see the vet. Just wait another day so that they groom their paws and get rid of the glue residue. This happens with Jake a lot, some glue always gets out and onto his paws. He grooms it and gets rid of it though. The glue is not dangerous, it says so on the softpaws site.
Oh good. Btw- does Jake pull them off with his teeth ever, and if so do you just glue them back on?

Today is Ally and Ollie's first day with them. Ollie pulled 3 off just now and I glued them back on.
post #4 of 12
He pulled them off all the time when I first started using them. His first time with them he kept shaking his paws and walking as though something is bothering him. It was only for a few days though. He doesn't try to pull them off now. But in general, it should be very difficult for cats to pull them off even when they try. If they are coming off easily you might have a size too big. This is what I am going through right now- I jumped from small to medium but I think Jake's nail are too small for medium so they come off really quickly...
I don't glue them back on because the glue inside has dried already and filled up half of the nail cap so I don't think they are any good after they've come off once. But you can try. I know someone else mentioned they glue them back on.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
He pulled them off all the time when I first started using them. His first time with them he kept shaking his paws and walking as though something is bothering him. It was only for a few days though. He doesn't try to pull them off now. But in general, it should be very difficult for cats to pull them off even when they try. If they are coming off easily you might have a size too big. This is what I am going through right now- I jumped from small to medium but I think Jake's nail are too small for medium so they come off really quickly...
I don't glue them back on because the glue inside has dried already and filled up half of the nail cap so I don't think they are any good after they've come off once. But you can try. I know someone else mentioned they glue them back on.
I got them both "Small" size. They aren't too big. Ollie just has been spending all of his effort trying to get them off. He is insaney angry at me right now.

He's only growled at me once before and it was when trimming his claws. He hates me messing with his claws. Ally on the other hand seems to think it's a manicure and pedicure. She just falls asleep purring. It's pretty funny.

Ollie on the other hand seems to think that messing with his claws is entirely unholy and right now he's nothing less than severely p/o'd at me and maybe a little scared of me too. I hope he gets over it quickly.

Out of curiosity, has Jake ever growled or hissed at you?
post #6 of 12
Ally's reaction is funny
Jake growls and hisses at me a lot lol but there are no hard feelings afterwards. He is a very untame cat in general and if I just do the slightest thing he doesn't like he will hiss. When I put on his soft paws sometimes he is standing there patiently waiting because he has learned that there is no getting away from this, but still hisses. It's weird because he is standing very still and relaxed in my lap, but his eyes are very wide and he is meowing very softly in his complaining voice and slowly and patiently hissing from time to time. He just never fails to express how much he hates everything I do that makes it impossible for him to do as he pleases, even when he has given up trying to fight me. I am sure the only reason he hates being groomed and the soft paws application is because he has to be in a certain spot because I require it, and he doesn't have the freedom to walk away if he wants to. He hates that lack of freedom...I think he has the alpha personality although I'm not sure and I think he sees me as another cat therefore wants to be the alpha over me. But he is still affectionate with me all the time, purring, grooming me all the usual...and as soon as I let him go, even if he has just hissed he can get right back to purring and being happy the next minute.
Lol anyways that was my little rant about Jake's personality. Don't worry about Ollie he will get used to it. I doubt he is angry at you lol. He may be angry at the fact that he got these annoying plastic nails but I'm sure he doesn't hold any hard feelings for you Don't worry about re applying any soft paws today, I'd wait a few days and let him get used to the ones that he can't pull off. Once he stops messing with those, that's when I would apply new ones to the ones he got rid of.
post #7 of 12
If he hates them that much, do you absolutely HAVE to use them? Is this a requirement for your new place?

I'm just wondering, because cats get such enjoyment out of stretching their claws (on approved scratching places, of course)

I'm feeling kind of sorry for little Ollie. It doesn't feel natural to him.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecatowner View Post
If he hates them that much, do you absolutely HAVE to use them? Is this a requirement for your new place?

I'm just wondering, because cats get such enjoyment out of stretching their claws (on approved scratching places, of course)

I'm feeling kind of sorry for little Ollie. It doesn't feel natural to him.
Technically, the apt's requirement in writing is to have them declawed, but I've been pretty clear since even before I signed the lease that there would be no declawing.

There is no soft paw requirement specifically though.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecatowner View Post
If he hates them that much, do you absolutely HAVE to use them? Is this a requirement for your new place?

I'm just wondering, because cats get such enjoyment out of stretching their claws (on approved scratching places, of course)

I'm feeling kind of sorry for little Ollie. It doesn't feel natural to him.
Cats can still stretch out and extend their claws and scratch with Soft Paws, they just don't do damage. No need to feel sorry for Ollie..

BTW- my cousin decided to try Soft Paws recently after I kept going on to her about how much I love them for Genever, and the one cat she needs them for (who is slowly clawing away her security deposit) unfortunately is way too skittish to even get 1 on. The other cat she got them for keeps biting them off.. And he's a growler too. I think if you keep up with Ollie, he'll eventually learn to accept it like Jake did. And he'll get over it.

And as for the glue mishap, as ut0pia said, it should all be ok in a day or 2. Once (and really only once, my cat is too well-behaved) Genever decided she didn't want to sit for Soft Paws time and wriggled away and all that was left was glue on her claw, covered with fur. I felt SO BAD! But she took care if it within a day or 2 and wasn't mad at me. Once also a soft paw came off without the shed nail inside and I did manage to reglue that one on, so it's worth a try.

Glad Ally falls asleep like someone getting a hand massage at the nail salon! Cute!
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
I hope so. I think he just doesn't like me messing with his claws/nails period. He's always had a problem with it. Ally probably doesn't mind because I've been trimming her nails since she was teeny.

I should get the colored ones though to make it easier to notice if they've come off. I agree with that.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawGuy View Post
Technically, the apt's requirement in writing is to have them declawed, but I've been pretty clear since even before I signed the lease that there would be no declawing.

There is no soft paw requirement specifically though.
That's the policy at my apartment too. I didn't even read that part of the lease until after I had signed it. They never mentioned it, and I'm never going to do it. I had 3 undeclared cats at my last place, and wasn't charged for any damages other than cleaning up some scuffs on the wall that were left by furniture that rubbed against it.

We have a cat tree with 4 scratching posts and a regular scratching post, and that seems to be good enough for all of our cats. We don't leave the windows open when we're gone because they do jump at the screens when they see birds outside.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Ally and Ollie turned their tounges to "power wash". The paws are no longer stuck. That's so weird that they can do that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › I glued one paw shut on Ally and Ollie