Stray with bad hairballs

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my strays has long hair, very long and thick hair actually. Everyday he throws up hairballs mixed with food, big hairballs too not even little ones. He is friendly so I do brush him, but my brush only gets the top coat and his coat is so matted underneath he would need a groomer to fix it or be shaved.

Is there anything I can give this cat to help him rid the hairballs so he doesnt have to always be puking them up? He drinks alot of water a day probably half the reason is because its hot and his fur is making him overheat quickly.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cat-malt is supposed to be good against fur balls.

This malt is btw soluted in paraffin-oil. Liquid paraffin oil is also the standard remedy for non mild constipation.

So here we do have double action.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

Where would you buy the cat malt?
Here in Sweden it is bought at every reasonably well assorted pet shop.

I suppose it is same in USA. Perhaps even also Wal-Mart has it - they seem to have much...

I do hope the word is the same in english. If "cat malt" sounds entirely foreign - ask again, so I shall try to find a translation.

Although I think it is in english too...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just look for "hairball remedy" in the pet section. Most of it is malt flavored, although I don't know why that would be any attraction to a cat.

You CAN just give him petroleum jelly, since that is the main ingredient. Some cats love the stuff.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

You CAN just give him petroleum jelly, since that is the main ingredient. Some cats love the stuff.
Petroleum jelly sounds rather poisonous for me. I really hope it is the same as liquid paraffine-oil - this is good and harmless.

Also the vets use it (unless there is some REAL stop needing quick surgery), although I suppose they have some trade name on it...